Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SunMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2018
Looks like Death Stranding just got pushed back almost two months, three days before it was planned to be released..
Last night the release date was still Dec 2nd, I just checked the App Store and now it says January 31st.

‎DEATH STRANDING DIRECTOR'S CUT on the Mac App Store

This doesn't look good for Mac gaming! I'm really disappointed.

• Haha
Reactions: Irishman

SunMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2018
Sad to postpone😭
This was the only Mac game release I have ever looked forward to and they delayed it 3 days before it was suppose to be released! I bought Lies of P instead to hold me over this holiday season. It's really nice to have an AAA game with great graphics running smooth on my M1 Pro!

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
This is sad to hear. Was the App Store an exclusive or will the Mac version also be available if we already purchased it on Steam/Epic?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Looks like Death Stranding just got pushed back almost two months, three days before it was planned to be released..
Last night the release date was still Dec 2nd, I just checked the App Store and now it says January 31st.

‎DEATH STRANDING DIRECTOR'S CUT on the Mac App Store

What do you mean? “Doesn’t look good for Mac gaming “???

They announced the delay before the original release date, and the new release date is 2 months after the first release date.

How does that look bad for Mac gaming?

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden

It’s not that big of a deal. We’ll have Resident Evil 4 before that in less than three weeks. One small delay is not going to break Mac gaming.

It’s very common with such delays to polish games. Do you rather want them to release a half-baked game sooner like all the PC releases lately, like Cities Skylines 2 or SW Jedi Survivor?

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
I wonder if the delay is due to the iOS version requiring more optimization to run properly.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don’t want to upset anyone looking forward to this game, I don’t consider myself to be the “game authority” on what constitutes a good game, it received one hell of a lot of hype, but make sure to buy it on sale for your own sake.

Why? I found it to have some intrigue. Interactions with the bad things roaming the world are interesting at first. It was cool that the game is linked to other players who can leave path markers to help you out find your way. This is not a “shooter”, think in terms of UPS deliveries mostly on foot (at least to start), and limited defense capabilities at first, maybe always? See disclaimer. Not sure if Alien Isolation would be a good comparison as far as being armed. 🫣

Disclaimer- I did not make it very far into the game, so it’s possible I missed some events, or twists, story intrigue which might of made a difference. I’ll flip a coin as to if you love this game or get bored with the routine in fairly short order. 🤔

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
This is sad to hear. Was the App Store an exclusive or will the Mac version also be available if we already purchased it on Steam/Epic?
Both Capcom and Kojima seem to have stuck some kind of deal with Apple, to keep the Mac version exclusive on App Store. Judging specifically RE4 you buy it once and you get to play on macOS, iOS and iPadOS, with potential cloud-save capability. Death Stranding looks to be getting the exact treatment.

Then RE Village Apple Silicon port came later than the Intel port, so on Steam after you buy it, you can play the Intel Mac version as well. But the catch is the Apple Silicon version is exclusive to the Mac App Store purchase.
EDIT: I got this part wrong, RE8 never got any Mac version on Steam, the App Store one is the only version and it is Apple Silicon exclusive.

Also with the cat game Stray, this was also announced and advertised by Apple during events and on Apple website, it dropped today with only an Apple Silicon version on Mac App Store. There isn't even an Intel Mac version for this game. But we are hoping the Steam purchase will give Mac (Apple Silicon) version access as well since this is what the developer announced.

Last edited:

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
RE Village for macOS has always been Apple Silicon only. There is not Intel Mac version on Steam.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
RE Village for macOS has always been Apple Silicon only. There is not Intel Mac version on Steam.
Oh sorry, I remembered wrong. So it is almost the same RE4 treatment, only that the macOS and iOS versions are released separately.

SunMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2018
Good question, I already have it on Steam and I had preordered it through the App Store. I will just wait now until release date to see if it comes out on Steam instead. Stray just came out today for Mac and was released on Steam for Mac simultaneously! Already had Stray on Steam. :)

Reactions: NEPOBABY

SunMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2018
What do you mean? “Doesn’t look good for Mac gaming “???

They announced the delay before the original release date, and the new release date is 2 months after the first release date.

How does that look bad for Mac gaming?
No, there was no announcement, even the official website still says 'coming 2023'. Changing the date for a big game release 3 days before doesn't look good. This isn't a game that got delayed a few months before it was suppose to come out. It was 3 days.

It’s not that big of a deal. We’ll have Resident Evil 4 before that in less than three weeks. One small delay is not going to break Mac gaming.

It’s very common with such delays to polish games. Do you rather want them to release a half-baked game sooner like all the PC releases lately, like Cities Skylines 2 or SW Jedi Survivor?
It is a big deal when its only 3 days before it's suppose to come out. I'm not complaining about it being delayed in its self but a game being delayed 3 days before it's announced release date doesn't look good.
I don’t want to upset anyone looking forward to this game, I don’t consider myself to be the “game authority” on what constitutes a good game, it received one hell of a lot of hype, but make sure to buy it on sale for your own sake.

Why? I found it to have some intrigue. Interactions with the bad things roaming the world are interesting at first. It was cool that the game is linked to other players who can leave path markers to help you out find your way. This is not a “shooter”, think in terms of UPS deliveries mostly on foot (at least to start), and limited defense capabilities at first, maybe always? See disclaimer. Not sure if Alien Isolation would be a good comparison as far as being armed. 🫣

Disclaimer- I did not make it very far into the game, so it’s possible I missed some events, or twists, story intrigue which might of made a difference. I’ll flip a coin as to if you love this game or get bored with the routine in fairly short order. 🤔
I already have beat this game on PC, put in about 70 hours. I'm just a big fan of Hideo Kojima and would like to play this on my Macbook Pro while I'm traveling.

Both Capcom and Kojima seem to have stuck some kind of deal with Apple, to keep the Mac version exclusive on App Store. Judging specifically RE4 you buy it once and you get to play on macOS, iOS and iPadOS, with potential cloud-save capability. Death Stranding looks to be getting the exact treatment.

Then RE Village Apple Silicon port came later than the Intel port, so on Steam after you buy it, you can play the Intel Mac version as well. But the catch is the Apple Silicon version is exclusive to the Mac App Store purchase.
EDIT: I got this part wrong, RE8 never got any Mac version on Steam, the App Store one is the only version and it is Apple Silicon exclusive.

Also with the cat game Stray, this was also announced and advertised by Apple during events and on Apple website, it dropped today with only an Apple Silicon version on Mac App Store. There isn't even an Intel Mac version for this game. But we are hoping the Steam purchase will give Mac (Apple Silicon) version access as well since this is what the developer announced.
Stray was released for Mac today on Steam BTW. I already had it so I just downloaded it on my Mac to it check out.

• Haha
Reactions: Huntn and Irishman

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
No, there was no announcement, even the official website still says 'coming 2023'. Changing the date for a big game release 3 days before doesn't look good. This isn't a game that got delayed a few months before it was suppose to come out. It was 3 days.

It is a big deal when its only 3 days before it's suppose to come out. I'm not complaining about it being delayed in its self but a game being delayed 3 days before it's announced release date doesn't look good.

I already have beat this game on PC, put in about 70 hours. I'm just a big fan of Hideo Kojima and would like to play this on my Macbook Pro while I'm traveling.

Stray was released for Mac today on Steam BTW. I already had it so I just downloaded it on my Mac to it check out.

If the official site is saying that it’s “coming in 2023”, then how do you know it’s not??

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
I played DS on PS4 and PS5. It’s true, the first 10%-15% of the game is kind of dull compared to the subsequent parts. So if you bailed out early, try to get to the 2nd map/level (the first map, which contains Capital Knot City, is really a tutorial zone).

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
Good question, I already have it on Steam and I had preordered it through the App Store. I will just wait now until release date to see if it comes out on Steam instead. Stray just came out today for Mac and was released on Steam for Mac simultaneously! Already had Stray on Steam. :)

I bought Stray on Steam to test it out. I feel a bit weird playing a cat. It was cheap on discount though.

There were a few moments when the GFX froze. Not good. Needs updates.

SunMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2018
I bought Stray on Steam to test it out. I feel a bit weird playing a cat. It was cheap on discount though.

There were a few moments when the GFX froze. Not good. Needs updates.
Yeah there seems to be weird aliasing issues with it as well. I hope they update it to fix some of the issues. If Lies of P can run at 120 fps and look good on my Macbook Pro so should this.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Yeah there seems to be weird aliasing issues with it as well. I hope they update it to fix some of the issues. If Lies of P can run at 120 fps and look good on my Macbook Pro so should this.

Different game engines?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.