Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...idia-gpu-lag-yet.2088300/page-2#post-25540389

Basically my system slows down to a crawl, and I had flashing white boxes go in sequential order across the top bar. I installed the Nvidia graphics drivers direct from them and that's seemed to have helped for the most part
Weird, I didn't know that.

FWIW, I installed nVidia drivers on my unsupported 2009 MacBook Pro and it slowed the machine down significantly and it caused problems, but those problems went away when I uninstalled the nVidia drivers.

hacicibu

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2018
I find that with my 4 GB MacBook Pro, it stalls even in El Capitan. 4 GB is not enough. But I will install High Sierra on it anyway just because it's a secondary machine. If it runs OK, I may upgrade it to 8 GB. I think I can do that for under US$50.

Or maybe it would make sense to just upgrade it to 6 GB as a compromise (with no dual channel support), since it's mainly just a guest machine.

Go for 10GB (I changed one 2gb for 8gb) and it works really well. I have only i5, but for few bucks macbook got really fater.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Go for 10GB (I changed one 2gb for 8gb) and it works really well. I have only i5, but for few bucks macbook got really fater.
10 GB not supported on my old 2008 and 2009 Core 2 Duo machines.

K4LK

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I am debating if I want to upgrade my early 2011 MacBook Pro to High Sierra when it is released or leave it running Sierra. it seems to run ok on Sierra now and does pretty much everything I want it to with the exception of still needing a windows laptop to run the weather radar I use when I am out storm chasing, since the radar program only will run on windows and I absolutely will not put windows which is a crappy os on my beautiful MacBook Pro.

Wow! Your early 2011 is still running? Mine died with the known graphics hardware failure, Apple replaced most of the innards of it and it recently started showing graphics weirdness. Time to sell on eBay for parts only.

Diiiiips

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011

Is 10GB supported on the 2011's? I've ordered an SSD toand if that fitting goes smoothly then I'll get some RAM too.

Aguymac

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2020
Hello,

So, I've went through a handful of (not very long) threads regarding this, and sorry to bump an old thread, but I've put it off so long and want to be sure there isn't any glaring reasons I shouldn't do this upgrade now. I was especially concerned about the new file system type with high sierra.

Ok, I have a Late 2011 15" MBP (8,2), 2.4Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, radeon hd 6770, with 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD from 2018. The SSD's been in the mbp forever as a second drive, but not even used - I mean - at all. It's got El Capitan on it, pretty sure, don't think I put "Sierra" on it yet even.

Should I go ahead and do an update to From 10.12.6 "Sierra" to "High Sierra" on the SSD? (As I want to finally start using it). Any issues or things I should check, or do first before doing it? And lastly, is there a more recent OS that's shown to run better than - and is preferable to running high sierra (on my machine)?
Should I try updating from Sierra to High Sierra on the HDD I currently use, for that matter? What do you think?

Thanks for any suggestions and help at all.
Much appreciated!

Edit: BTW, the main HDD that I'm still using (with Sierra) is the original. Wow.

Last edited:

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
High Sierra is the last officially supported version of Mac OS for your machine. If you want to run a newer OS than High Sierra though unsupported then you must update to High Sierra first. You would need to disable the AMD GPU to get reasonable performance on anything newer than High Sierra so it's probably best to stick with High Sierra or an older OS on your machine.

Before updating you may wish to do a Time Machine backup and also do a clone using Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner. That way if you don't like High Sierra you can easily go back.

Reactions: Aguymac

Kent W

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2019
Kullavik, Halland, Sweden, EU
Of course you should install High Sierra. It's basically a bug fixed Sierra with APFS support. The least obsolete of the obsolete MacOS versions.

High Sierra was recently abandoned by Apple and didn't get the latest security updates in December. So it has now joined the faith of Sierra, El Capitan and the other older MacOS versions. Several software producers have unfortunately abandoned it as well.

However if you are fine with the software available, use an updated web browser like e.g. Chrome or Firefox (Safari is not up to date anymore on HS), avoid suspicious web sites and downloads together with virus scanner e.g Bitdefender together with anti-malware software e.g. Malwarebytes and avoid financial/banking/sensitive transactions etc. you are probably good.

Windows 10 is supporting these machines, Linux as well but not our friends at Apple.

Last edited:

Aguymac

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2020
High Sierra is the last officially supported version of Mac OS for your machine. If you want to run a newer OS than High Sierra though unsupported then you must update to High Sierra first. You would need to disable the AMD GPU to get reasonable performance on anything newer than High Sierra so it's probably best to stick with High Sierra or an older OS on your machine.

Before updating you may wish to do a Time Machine backup and also do a clone using Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner. That way if you don't like High Sierra you can easily go back.
Thanks.
Of course you should install High Sierra. It's basically a bug fixed Sierra with APFS support. The least obsolete of the obsolete MacOS versions.

High Sierra was recently abandoned by Apple and didn't get the latest security updates in December. So it has now joined the faith of Sierra, El Capitan and the other older MacOS versions. Several software producers have unfortunately abandoned it as well.

However if you are fine with the software available, use an updated web browser like e.g. Chrome or Firefox (Safari is not up to date anymore on HS), avoid suspicious web sites and downloads together with virus scanner e.g Bitdefender together with anti-malware software e.g. Malwarebytes and avoid financial/banking/sensitive transactions etc. you are probably good.

Windows 10 is supporting these machines, Linux as well but not our friends at Apple.
Update to the most recent, unsupported os version on my machine or...fear and avoid visiting my online banking site(s)?

Aguymac

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2020
If you are on an even earlier unsupported macOS version than High Sierra your fear would logically be more intense.. :)
Haha, I guess so, yea. I just haven't been, is what I meant.
Bigger issue just happened anyway, AMD gpu is acting up again now, soab.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
If you are on an even earlier unsupported macOS version than High Sierra your fear would logically be more intense.. :)
I don't know about this, security by obscurity seems to work well, unless ANY Mac OS X is simply inherently more secure than any other OS's. I had no issues doing internet banking on Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.