Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Keyboard shortcuts. Learn 'em and you'll barely touch the screen. App switching, scrolling, replying, forward and back, etc

Haha. Yes. Just did that. I heard the ping that tells me I've got new mail. I suspected it would be a reply to this thread, so I just hit control-R to reload the page and -- boom! -- there you were!

I'm way better at typing on this than I am directly on the screen.

Still have to reach up to post reply. I think . . .

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Still have to reach up to post reply. I think . . .

I think you have hit on an example of a thing that requires a screen tap. It doesn't bother me much, because I'm usually using the on-screen keyboard when posting to forums, but yeah... Maybe that'll encourage you to write longer posts so you don't have to tap the screen as frequently? :D

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I think it's a paradigm shift. I'm so used to pointing and clicking. The trackpad/keyboard combo is very efficient and fits the hand very well. It's a matter of getting used to doing things differently. TBH I doubt I'll always have the keyboard attached. Only when I'm doing serious typing.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
The trackpad/keyboard combo is very efficient and fits the hand very well. .
During the short time I owned my IPP i had the smart keyboard. I liked it as a cover but found myself taking it off frequently to just "lounge around". I do miss my IPP......

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I think it's a paradigm shift. I'm so used to pointing and clicking. The trackpad/keyboard combo is very efficient and fits the hand very well. It's a matter of getting used to doing things differently. TBH I doubt I'll always have the keyboard attached. Only when I'm doing serious typing.

That's it exactly, it's just a different way of working. The keyboard shortcuts are the first thing but I still find myself having about to touch the screen and remembering about a shortcut that will work. It's not perfect yet as there's still some little things you can't do with the keyboard which are really annoying and the lack of IOS-specific shortcut keys on Apple accessories are very frustrating.

On the Smart Keyboard itself, I've held off. I tried one out in the store and it's ok, but for the time being I've got a spare Apple Bluetooth keyboard which I will just put in my bag. I think if we give it a wee bit more time there will be some very good keyboards (and covers) released which will be worth waiting for.

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
The iPad pro keyboard feels a bit cheap, no backlit or function keys, the Key travel isn't great- good thing is it is light and thin

I'm still trying it out

I say try it out for a week and return if ur not satisfied

The brydge will be the best fully featured keyboard for the pro when it comes out I think

Wrong. The Brydge Air is extremely heavy. I use it for my iPad Air 2. It's sleek, high quality, looks expensive, works well, etc., but it triples the weight. The Brydge for the iPP will be significantly heavier and will make the overall pairing extremely heavy - heavier than the Macbook Pro 13 inch Retina.

jmaluso

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA
Wrong. The Brydge Air is extremely heavy. I use it for my iPad Air 2. It's sleek, high quality, looks expensive, works well, etc., but it triples the weight. The Brydge for the iPP will be significantly heavier and will make the overall pairing extremely heavy - heavier than the Macbook Pro 13 inch Retina.

Sure is a good looking keyboard though.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Well, perhaps inevitably (for those familiar with my posts), I've returned the Smart Kayboard. It's not necessarily that there was anything wrong with it (though it's dull and grey and not perfect by any means) but just that I've grown really very good at touch typing on the iPad Pro's on-screen keyboard, which is I guess a testament to how good it actually is. And at £139, the Smart Keyboard is just really expensive and not necessary.

Macmar88

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
I debated for a long time if I would actually use it. I went to Best Buy at least 5 or 6 times testing it out. Well I finally bit the bullet and bought iMac. $170 is high for sure, but now that I own it I would gladly buy it again. Only con of course is that lack of back light. Everything else is a win in my opinion for sure the best Smart Connection compatible keyboard.

jmaluso

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA
I bought the Smart Keyboard and the Silicone case on Friday and I will be returning them. The keyboard is nice in theory but just not nice enough to justify $169. If they come out with a v2 with backlit keys and very similar design to the Surface Pro 4 keyboard I will give it a shot again. For now I think I will go with the STM Atlas (when it is finally released) or just the Smart Cover until I find a better keyboard option.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.