Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
DISCLAIMER: This guide is provided with the hope that it will prove useful and has been tested for a handful of G3s, several G4s, and most G5s. Overall, your millage may vary.

This is a WikiPost, so if anyone has any contributions, feel free to contribute. @z970mp deserves all of the credit for keeping this information up to date. I'll continue to eye the thread and help out as much as I can.

NOTICE: As Sid = unstable, the installer may at times prove to be unpredictable and may fail for any reason at any point along the way. These instructions are not guaranteed to make your installation a success, and remember to always back up your data before making any changes to your hard disk and its partitions.

Thank you.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Installing Debian Sid on PowerPC Macs - Updated: July 30, 2019

1. Download the newest netinstall CD image from:

(http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/)

1a. Note: The 'powerpc' ISOs will work across G3s, G4s, and G5s. The 'ppc64' ISOs will only work on G5s, and will take the most advantage of the G5 hardware, making both the kernel and userspace fully 64-bit, as opposed to the 32-bit userspace powerpc variants. The catch is that as of May 2019 (last checked), the ppc64 environments are fairly buggier than their powerpc counterparts, so you'll need to be prepared to file a couple simple bug reports with the 'reportbug' package. Otherwise, choose the powerpc ISO.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 (On A Linux System). Open a terminal and copy / paste the following text, then edit according to how many HDs you have installed:

sudo dd if=~/Downloads/debian-10.0-powerpc-NETINST-1.iso of=/dev/sdx

(use sdb if one HD is installed, use sdc if two HDs installed, etc.)

Once sdx has been correctly edited, hit Enter, and wait for it to finish, which should usually take around 5 minutes.

2a. Alternatively, you may boot from a CD, but this method can be wasteful, and installation will be slower.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Reboot, and hold Cmd + Opt + O + F at the chime (or Caps Lock light). Usually, you're going to be giving Open Firmware the same command:

boot usb0/disk@1:,\\grub.elf

If 'usb0' doesn't work, try 'usb1', then 'usb2', 'usb3', etc.

4. The GRUB bootloader will come up. Hit Enter for a default install.

5. Connect your Mac to your network via Ethernet, then follow the very straightforward prompts. For partitioning, use 'Guided - use entire disk' and 'All files in one partition' for easiest installation. Note that this will destroy any previous system installs on the selected disk, so be sure that you want to do this before proceeding.

6. When you're prompted to choose an archive mirror, scroll all the way up to the top of the list, choose 'enter information manually', then enter 'ftp.ports.debian.org' for the mirror, and '/debian-ports/' for the directory. When manual package selection comes up, install 'Standard System Utilities' and 'SSH server' when prompted (An asterisk will be present next to the Standard System Utilities choice. If it isn't, press the Space Bar to select it, then Tab to move to the Continue prompt), and make sure nothing else is selected for now. Choose 'yes' when you are asked if you want to install Popularity Contest, because we want the developers to know that the powerpc / ppc64 port is actively used.

6a. If you are on a G3 / G4, there is a chance that GRUB installation may fail. If this is the case, press Esc after you are told GRUB installation has failed. Choose 'Continue without bootloader', confirm, and once you are given the dialog to remove your install medium and reboot, do not hit Enter. Instead, press Alt + F2 (Alt + Fn + F2 on some keyboards), and input the following commands in order:

Code:
1. chroot /target
2. mount -t sysfs none /sys
3. apt install hfsutils
4. yabootconfig -b /dev/sda2
5. ybin
6. Alt + F1

7. Once installation is complete, your disc (if you used one) will eject, and you will be told to remove your installation medium. Do so, and select 'continue' to reboot your system.

8. Once your system reboots, log in with your credentials.

9. Type sudo apt edit-sources and press Return. Enter your password if necessary.

10. Delete the CD line (hold Ctrl +K). Now add the Ports repositories:

Code:
# Sources
deb http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unstable main
deb http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unreleased main
deb http://incoming.ports.debian.org/buildd/ unstable main

# Non-Free (add this if you have an ATI GPU)
deb [arch=all] http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

11. Press Control-X, answer Y, and press Return.

12. Type 'sudo apt update' and let the repos update.

13. If you've got an ATI GPU, install the non-free firmware by typing 'sudo apt install firmware-linux-nonfree'. If you have an Nvidia GPU, you are now finished with installation.

14. Type 'sudo reboot' and let your machine reboot to be sure everything is stable with the non-free video firmware. You'll find yourself back at your login prompt. Log in with your username and password.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Congratulations! This covers the installation of a base system with most everything needed.

You can now drop by The PowerPC Linux Wiki to grab a desktop environment, enable Wi-Fi, get some awesome speed tweaks, and follow easy configuration pointers so you can get settled in to your new system.

Last edited:

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Napoli, city of sun and pizza!
Hi @swamprock and thank you for this awesome tutorial... I'll admit I have been a bit lazy in these last weeks... With this I would be finally able to get Debian Ports on my iBook G4. I don't have a modern Mac, so I was wondering, Step 11: it is possible to do it with a PowerPC Mac or with a Windows PC?

Reactions: Traace and AphoticD

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Hi @swamprock and thank you for this awesome tutorial... I'll admit I have been a bit lazy in these last weeks... With this I would be finally able to get Debian Ports on my iBook G4. I don't have a modern Mac, so I was wondering, Step 11: it is possible to do it with a PowerPC Mac or with a Windows PC?

Yes, I'm pretty sure you can use ssh/scp with a PowerPC Mac running Leopard (and probably Tiger as well). Just follow the same steps. I'm 99% sure it'll work. I only mentioned a modern Mac since that's what I used. Let me know if it works and I'll update the post.

EDIT: Post was updated to include PowerPC Macs running Leopard or Tiger. I'm not sure if it would work in Panther or below, although it should. My concern is with the outdated security in those older versions and whether there'd be an issue with Debian, and how far back Remote Login was available anyway. I'm almost 100% positive that you can ssh into those old versions of OS X due to their unix underpinnings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Traace

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
This is freaking awesome Swampy :D thx for you and the other guys over at the Artic Fox thread's hard work.

I gotta ask mate, how responsive is the system?

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
This is freaking awesome Swampy :D thx for you and the other guys over at the Artic Fox thread's hard work.

I gotta ask mate, how responsive is the system?

The faster that your G4 is, the better. On my 1.33 ghz iBook G4, everything is quite responsive. Arctic Fox does use 100% CPU when loading pages, but is quite snappy once pages are loaded. I've posted many of my testing results in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/powerpc-linux-support-to-continue-in-debian-ports.2128808/

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Midori 6 (web browser) is out, and I will attempt to compile it for sid once my move back home is complete. I know it can be compiled for PowerPC, but there are issues with certificate management, and Midori 5.11 on PowerPC is built without gcr support. GCR is now built and working in sid, so there's only one more issue to get around, and that is an error while configuring the build. I have a theory that it's actually an issue with the syntax of newer builds of cmake clashing with older syntax (the error is "add_custom_command Wrong syntax. A TARGET or OUTPUT must be specified." in ValaPrecompile.cmake), and will try to figure out how to get around this even if it means opening a new bug report. I compared the file from 5.11 to that of 6.0, and they're identical. My attempt to build this a few weeks ago has failed so far due to this error, and I'm not exactly a genius when it comes to figuring out these sorts of issues.

If someone else wants to give it a go, the source is here: https://www.midori-browser.org/download/

Updated the OP with the link to the latest build of Arctic Fox for PPC Linux.

Last edited:

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
I had a little time today, and decided to throw together this little "HOWTO" for those who wish to get Debian sid up and running on their G4s. I tried to make it as simple as possible. Those with experience with this sort of thing will pick it up pretty easily. Those who have issues can just post questions here and I'll/we'll try to help you out as best as we can.

This has been tested for G4s ONLY. Your millage may vary with G3s (I haven't tried), and the PPC64 repos are incomplete, so G5s are out.

This is a wikipost, so if anyone has any contributions/suggestions/corrections, feel free to contribute.

---------------

INSTALLING DEBIAN SID ON POWERPC G4 -- Last Update: November 7, 2018

1. Download mini-iso from https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/current/

2. Burn cd, insert into your PPC machine, then boot by holding ‘C’ on your keyboard.

3. Connect your Mac to your network via ethernet, then follow the prompts. You will be installing a minimal system for now. For partitioning, use the 'Guided- use entire disk' and 'All files in one partition' for easiest installation. Note that this will destroy any previous system installs on your disk, so be sure that you want to do this before proceeding. When you're prompted to select a country for a network mirror, select Go Back. You'll then be prompted to continue without a network mirror. Select Yes. Soon after, you'll get an error that security.debian.org cannot be accessed. This can safely be ignored, so again just select Continue. It's your choice to install Popularity Contest when prompted, so either selection is ok. Be sure to install the Standard System Utilities when prompted (an asterisk will be present next to the Standard System Utilities choice. If it isn't, press the Space Bar to select it, then tab to move to the Continue prompt).

4. Once installation is complete, your disk will eject. Keep it nearby, as you'll need it again. Select Continue to reboot your system.

5. Once your system reboots, log in as root (user: root/password: your root pass).

6. Type ‘nano /etc/apt/sources.list’ and hit Return.

7. Check to be sure that the CDROM 'repo' isn't commented out. It'll be the second line below a commented-out line that is identical. If it is, remove the hash mark from any one of the install CD lines. You can also remove the commented-out Security repo text below this line if you wish, as it is not needed. Press Control-X, and answer Y if prompted, then hit Return. Otherwise, just press Control-X to exit from nano.

8. Insert your install CD. Type ‘apt install sudo’ and press Return. Let sudo install.

9. Type ‘visudo’ and move down to where it says ‘root ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL’. Below that line, type your user name followed by ‘ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL'. Press Control-X, answer ‘Y’ to the prompt, backspace over the ‘.tmp’ in the filename and press Return, then answer ‘Y’ to the next two prompts.

Code:
Example:

root        ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
brianlinux  ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

10. Type ‘exit’ and hit Return, then log in with your username rather than root. All root commands must be proceeded by ‘sudo’ from here on.

11. Using another Mac on the same network as your PowerPC Mac (Intel or a PowerPC Mac running Leopard or Tiger), download the Debian Ports keyring package from http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/poo...bian-ports-archive-keyring_2018.01.05_all.deb. Leave it in your Downloads folder on your OS X Mac. Open your System Preferences, click Network, and get the IP address of your Mac running macOS/OS X (under 'Status: Connected'). Turn on Remote Login under Sharing on your Mac running macOS/OS X and add your macOS/OS X user name. Go back to your PowerPC Mac running sid, and type 'scp <your_OSX_mac_username>@<your_OSX_mac_IP_address>:/Users/<your_OSX_Mac_username>/Downloads/debian-ports-archive-keyring_2018.01.05_all.deb /home/<your_debian_sid_username>'. When prompted to continue connecting, type 'yes' (not 'y'), and then your OS X Mac's user password. The keyring package will copy over. Now, type ‘sudo dpkg -i *.deb’. Put in your password (if required) then let the keyring install. Once finished, you can delete the keyring package ('rm debian-ports-archive-keyring_2018.01.05_all.deb').

Code:
Example:

scp brianlinux@10.0.0.45:/Users/brianmac/Downloads/debian-ports-archive-keyring_2018.01.05_all.deb /home/brianlinux

12. Type ‘sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list’ and press Return. Enter your password if necessary.

13. Comment out, with a hash mark, the CD image line. Now add the ports repos:

Code:
#Binary Default

#non-free firmware

#Deb-Multimedia repo
deb https://www.deb-multimedia.org sid main
14. Press Control-X, answer 'Y', and press Return.

15. Type 'sudo apt update' and let the repos update. Ignore the deb-multimedia errors for now.

16. Type 'sudo apt install bzip2 wget' and let those install.

17. Download the deb-multimedia keyring by typing the following:
Code:
wget http://www.deb-multimedia.org/pool/main/d/deb-multimedia-keyring/deb-multimedia-keyring_2016.8.1_all.deb

Install using 'sudo dpkg -i *.deb'. You can delete the keyring once installed (rm *.deb).

18. Do another 'sudo apt update'.

19. Install the non-free firmware by typing 'sudo apt install firmware-linux-nonfree'. If you're running a machine with an Nvidia chip/card, skip the next 3 steps. Radeon cards/chips require the next three steps for the system to remain stable.

20. Type 'sudo nano /etc/yaboot.conf' and press return.

21. Under BOTH 'initrd=/boot/initrd.img' lines, type the following line exactly how it appears:
Code:
append="radeon.agpmode=-1"

Typing this under both boot lines ensures that your system will not freeze if you need to boot into an old kernel ('Linux old' at the boot: prompt in yaboot). Press Control-X, then answer 'Y' and press Return.

22. Type 'sudo ybin -v' and let yaboot refresh your changes.

23. Type 'sudo reboot' and let your machine reboot to be sure everything is stable with the non-free video firmware. You'll find yourself back at your minimal install prompt. Log in with your username and password.

24. Do one more 'sudo apt update', then upgrade your install by doing a 'sudo apt upgrade'. Once your upgrade is finished, do another 'sudo reboot'.

25. Install your wifi firmware by downloading b43-fwcutter and firmware-b43-installer from the Jessie repo. This is necessary because b43-fwcutter hasn't been updated for sid as of yet, while the firmware has. You'll end up with an unresolved dependencies error if you try to install the firmware from the Ports repo. Delete any installed DEBs that are currently in your home folder (rm *.deb), then grab the wifi packages needed, respectively, by using these commands:
Code:
wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/contrib/b/b43-fwcutter/b43-fwcutter_019-2_powerpc.deb

wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/contrib/b/b43-fwcutter/firmware-b43-installer_019-2_all.deb

Install using 'sudo dpkg -i *.deb'. Reboot.

---------------

This covers the installation of a minimal base system with most of the hardware packages needed. 3D acceleration is now standard on both Radeon and Nvidia chips without the need to downgrade any packages or by using any other hacks. You can now proceed to install a desktop environment, which will (usually) also install the XServer to run it. As of this date (October 9, 2018), XFCE4 (install xfce4), Cinnamon (cinnamon), MATE (mate-desktop) and Budgie (budgie-desktop) are all complete and available (NOTE: I've only tried Cinnamon on my 867mhz TiBook, but it was dog-slow. Faster PPC Macs may have a better time). There may be others, but I usually stick with Openbox and build my own DE. PPCLuddite's guide on his blog (http://ppcluddite.blogspot.com/) is a great resource for doing this. It is highly recommended that you install a login manager (lightdm, gdm3, slim, etc. I use lightdm myself) to have a graphical login to your DE, rather than doing it from the command line, as this will pull in other video packages that your DE will need in the future.

Once your DE is up and running, visit the Arctic Fox thread; specifically this post: Arctic Fox web browser for 10.6 (64bit) for a stable, up-to-date web browser. Be sure to read the entire thread for information about add-ons and other things.

I followed your guide, and succesfully installed Debian with XFCE on an iBook G4 the other day. However, while installing it on my PowerBook today, I encounter an error while trying to install certain applications. Aptitude is telling that I hold broken packages for some reason. My install is vanilla. nothing else has been installed aside form what you've listed in your guide.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I followed your guide, and succesfully installed Debian with XFCE on an iBook G4 the other day. However, while installing it on my PowerBook today, I encounter an error while trying to install certain applications. Aptitude is telling that I hold broken packages for some reason. My install is vanilla. nothing else has been installed aside form what you've listed in your guide.

According to the Debian Ports mailing list, some required packages were dropped over the past week. They’re currently figuring out which packages are missing and are now trying to fix the issue.

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
According to the Debian Ports mailing list, some required packages were dropped over the past week. They’re currently figuring out which packages are missing and are now trying to fix the issue.
I see. Guess I'll have to wait a bit to fiddle around with it again.

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
I had a little time today, and decided to throw together this little "HOWTO" for those who wish to get Debian sid up and running on their G4s. I tried to make it as simple as possible. Those with experience with this sort of thing will pick it up pretty easily. Those who have issues can just post questions here and I'll/we'll try to help you out as best as we can.

This has been tested for G4s ONLY. Your millage may vary with G3s (I haven't tried), and the PPC64 repos are incomplete, so G5s are out.

This is a wikipost, so if anyone has any contributions/suggestions/corrections, feel free to contribute.

---------------

INSTALLING DEBIAN SID ON POWERPC G4 -- Last Update: November 7, 2018

1. Download mini-iso from https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/current/

2. Burn cd, insert into your PPC machine, then boot by holding ‘C’ on your keyboard.

3. Connect your Mac to your network via ethernet, then follow the prompts. You will be installing a minimal system for now. For partitioning, use the 'Guided- use entire disk' and 'All files in one partition' for easiest installation. Note that this will destroy any previous system installs on your disk, so be sure that you want to do this before proceeding. When you're prompted to select a country for a network mirror, select Go Back. You'll then be prompted to continue without a network mirror. Select Yes. Soon after, you'll get an error that security.debian.org cannot be accessed. This can safely be ignored, so again just select Continue. It's your choice to install Popularity Contest when prompted, so either selection is ok. Be sure to install the Standard System Utilities when prompted (an asterisk will be present next to the Standard System Utilities choice. If it isn't, press the Space Bar to select it, then tab to move to the Continue prompt).

4. Once installation is complete, your disk will eject. Keep it nearby, as you'll need it again. Select Continue to reboot your system.

5. Once your system reboots, log in as root (user: root/password: your root pass).

6. Type ‘nano /etc/apt/sources.list’ and hit Return.

7. Check to be sure that the CDROM 'repo' isn't commented out. It'll be the second line below a commented-out line that is identical. If it is, remove the hash mark from any one of the install CD lines. You can also remove the commented-out Security repo text below this line if you wish, as it is not needed. Press Control-X, and answer Y if prompted, then hit Return. Otherwise, just press Control-X to exit from nano.

8. Insert your install CD. Type ‘apt install sudo’ and press Return. Let sudo install.

9. Type ‘visudo’ and move down to where it says ‘root ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL’. Below that line, type your user name followed by ‘ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL'. Press Control-X, answer ‘Y’ to the prompt, backspace over the ‘.tmp’ in the filename and press Return, then answer ‘Y’ to the next two prompts.

Code:
Example:

root        ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
brianlinux  ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

10. Type ‘exit’ and hit Return, then log in with your username rather than root. All root commands must be proceeded by ‘sudo’ from here on.

11. Using another Mac on the same network as your PowerPC Mac (Intel or a PowerPC Mac running Leopard or Tiger), download the Debian Ports keyring package from http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/poo...bian-ports-archive-keyring_2018.01.05_all.deb. Leave it in your Downloads folder on your OS X Mac. Open your System Preferences, click Network, and get the IP address of your Mac running macOS/OS X (under 'Status: Connected'). Turn on Remote Login under Sharing on your Mac running macOS/OS X and add your macOS/OS X user name. Go back to your PowerPC Mac running sid, and type 'scp <your_OSX_mac_username>@<your_OSX_mac_IP_address>:/Users/<your_OSX_Mac_username>/Downloads/debian-ports-archive-keyring_2018.01.05_all.deb /home/<your_debian_sid_username>'. When prompted to continue connecting, type 'yes' (not 'y'), and then your OS X Mac's user password. The keyring package will copy over. Now, type ‘sudo dpkg -i *.deb’. Put in your password (if required) then let the keyring install. Once finished, you can delete the keyring package ('rm debian-ports-archive-keyring_2018.01.05_all.deb').

Code:
Example:

scp brianlinux@10.0.0.45:/Users/brianmac/Downloads/debian-ports-archive-keyring_2018.01.05_all.deb /home/brianlinux

12. Type ‘sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list’ and press Return. Enter your password if necessary.

13. Comment out, with a hash mark, the CD image line. Now add the ports repos:

Code:
#Binary Default

#non-free firmware

#Deb-Multimedia repo
deb https://www.deb-multimedia.org sid main
14. Press Control-X, answer 'Y', and press Return.

15. Type 'sudo apt update' and let the repos update. Ignore the deb-multimedia errors for now.

16. Type 'sudo apt install bzip2 wget' and let those install.

17. Download the deb-multimedia keyring by typing the following:
Code:
wget http://www.deb-multimedia.org/pool/main/d/deb-multimedia-keyring/deb-multimedia-keyring_2016.8.1_all.deb

Install using 'sudo dpkg -i *.deb'. You can delete the keyring once installed (rm *.deb).

18. Do another 'sudo apt update'.

19. Install the non-free firmware by typing 'sudo apt install firmware-linux-nonfree'. If you're running a machine with an Nvidia chip/card, skip the next 3 steps. Radeon cards/chips require the next three steps for the system to remain stable.

20. Type 'sudo nano /etc/yaboot.conf' and press return.

21. Under BOTH 'initrd=/boot/initrd.img' lines, type the following line exactly how it appears:
Code:
append="radeon.agpmode=-1"

Typing this under both boot lines ensures that your system will not freeze if you need to boot into an old kernel ('Linux old' at the boot: prompt in yaboot). Press Control-X, then answer 'Y' and press Return.

22. Type 'sudo ybin -v' and let yaboot refresh your changes.

23. Type 'sudo reboot' and let your machine reboot to be sure everything is stable with the non-free video firmware. You'll find yourself back at your minimal install prompt. Log in with your username and password.

24. Do one more 'sudo apt update', then upgrade your install by doing a 'sudo apt upgrade'. Once your upgrade is finished, do another 'sudo reboot'.

25. Install your wifi firmware by downloading b43-fwcutter and firmware-b43-installer from the Jessie repo. This is necessary because b43-fwcutter hasn't been updated for sid as of yet, while the firmware has. You'll end up with an unresolved dependencies error if you try to install the firmware from the Ports repo. Delete any installed DEBs that are currently in your home folder (rm *.deb), then grab the wifi packages needed, respectively, by using these commands:
Code:
wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/contrib/b/b43-fwcutter/b43-fwcutter_019-2_powerpc.deb

wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/contrib/b/b43-fwcutter/firmware-b43-installer_019-2_all.deb

Install using 'sudo dpkg -i *.deb'. Reboot.

---------------

This covers the installation of a minimal base system with most of the hardware packages needed. 3D acceleration is now standard on both Radeon and Nvidia chips without the need to downgrade any packages or by using any other hacks. You can now proceed to install a desktop environment, which will (usually) also install the XServer to run it. As of this date (October 9, 2018), XFCE4 (install xfce4), Cinnamon (cinnamon), MATE (mate-desktop) and Budgie (budgie-desktop) are all complete and available (NOTE: I've only tried Cinnamon on my 867mhz TiBook, but it was dog-slow. Faster PPC Macs may have a better time). There may be others, but I usually stick with Openbox and build my own DE. PPCLuddite's guide on his blog (http://ppcluddite.blogspot.com/) is a great resource for doing this. It is highly recommended that you install a login manager (lightdm, gdm3, slim, etc. I use lightdm myself) to have a graphical login to your DE, rather than doing it from the command line, as this will pull in other video packages that your DE will need in the future.

Once your DE is up and running, visit the Arctic Fox thread; specifically this post: Arctic Fox web browser for 10.6 (64bit) for a stable, up-to-date web browser. Be sure to read the entire thread for information about add-ons and other things.

Just curious, how in the world does one do a "right click" in Debian?

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
F11 works as right-click on MOST machines. I've seen others that use F10 for some odd reason. I think it's due to having obmenu and menu-xdg installed in Openbox, which maps either F10 or F11 to the Openbox menu.

OP updated with link to Arctic Fox's GIT page.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
If someone else wants to give it a go, the source is here: https://www.midori-browser.org/download/

Well.... It built on Lubuntu without issue. Using it however is buggy. Some pages load, some do not. I have to disable JS for it even load anything. However, the pages that do load (MR is not one of them sadly) it's fast. I tried to build with /opt for install prefix, however it couldn't find it's libraries until i rebuilt and used /usr. Anyway, here it is if you want to play with it. I backed up /usr/bin/midori and /usr/lib/midori before i dropped this there. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GyfGS70gpI58GU-vuwTxo64CdfDFy3jC/view?usp=sharing

Cheers

2018-11-15-224744_1920x1080_scrot.png

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Well.... It built on Lubuntu without issue. Using it however is buggy. Some pages load, some do not. I have to disable JS for it even load anything. However, the pages that do load (MR is not one of them sadly) it's fast. I tried to build with /opt for install prefix, however it couldn't find it's libraries until i rebuilt and used /usr. Anyway, here it is if you want to play with it. I backed up /usr/bin/midori and /usr/lib/midori before i dropped this there. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GyfGS70gpI58GU-vuwTxo64CdfDFy3jC/view?usp=sharing

Cheers

View attachment 804470

Ahh that's too bad. it would have been cool to have another up-to-date browser for PPC linux. I don't suppose filing a bug report would do anything, unfortunately.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan

Cheers

View attachment 804470

I got it to build as well, and you're right. Nothing seems to work. Too bad...

I'll be back in my house this week, and will do an update to this How-To once I'm unpacked. I've been following the mailing list and have added the buildd repo to my machine, which puts it on the bleeding bleeding [sic] edge...

Last edited:

G4fanboy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Andalucia Spain
Time to learn how to deal with Debian+ Mac OS X+ Mac OS 9 on same drive.

In this guide http://ppcluddite.blogspot.com/2012/03/installing-debian-linux-on-ppc-part-i.html mentions troubles around mixing them and how to avoid.

Last time I tried the ATI Rage 128 were a pain in the ass to work with downgrading mesa and such.
Now I have most of my machines with nVidia 4 MX.

I see a quantum leap from "no longer being a release architecture" to a new more mature state then when this http://powerpcliberation.blogspot.com/2018/07/debian-ppc-status-update.html?

were written.

Last edited:

Steve newcomb

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2019
Your prescription worked great except for the wireless, alas. Here's the glitch:

Code:
...is not there any more. Aptitude claims that firmware-b43-installer depends on b43-fwcutter-019-4_powerpc.deb, which is not available. And duckduckgo can't find such a .deb, either. Any ideas, Swampy?

My pokey old g4 seems to work a lot better with Sid than I expected, BTW. FYI, lshw says the wireless is BCM4318. The hardware is OK, so it looks like it would work if I could find a way around this trivial-sounding (and possibly 100% officiousness-driven) dependency issue.

Steve

Steve newcomb

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2019
Nope. I already tried that. The current sid dependency of firmware-b43-installer is b32-fwcutter_019-4_powerpc.deb. I installed 019-2 and it made no difference. It still demands 019-4.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan

Thanks for that. Yeah... Jessie’s repo has been moved to /archive, so the URL for fwcutter is no longer valid. I need to update the how-to later tonight when I get home (or someone else can fix it. It’s a wiki post).

EDIT: Done...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.