Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I'm sure this will make a bigger impact on my laptop.
Worth is subjective, but I would say its not worth risking losing your data. I would say given how laptops are used, they're probably a higher risk factor.

To put it another way - risk vs. reward, my data is not worth maybe a couple of percentage points of performance, but that's me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: sracer and I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Worth is subjective, but I would say its not worth risking losing your data. I would say given how laptops are used, they're probably a higher risk factor.

To put it another way - risk vs. reward, my data is not worth maybe a couple of percentage points of performance, but that's me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
As a quick backdrop, I have a fairly decent laptop (asus n550jx) that's a few years old. I guess I bought it after windows 10 release in 2015 because it came with windows 8.1. After I updated to windows 10, the laptop because frustratingly slow to boot (it has a spinner and not an ssd, probably if I updated the spinner to an ssd it would make things faster). However, I want to see if disabling defender would help. We'll see.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
As a quick backdrop, I have a fairly decent laptop (asus n550jx) that's a few years old. I guess I bought it after windows 10 release in 2015 because it came with windows 8.1. After I updated to windows 10, the laptop because frustratingly slow to boot (it has a spinner and not an ssd, probably if I updated the spinner to an ssd it would make things faster). However, I want to see if disabling defender would help. We'll see.
could be the RAM, i had to install another stick on my friends sony windows 8.1? laptop to stop the spinning ball
next a Dell xps desk top!

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
Nowdays it does not require many steaps to have pretty software-lean Windows10 on your device.

1. When getting a new device, specially from retailers and certain manufacteres, do a fresh Windows10 install directly from Microsoft (web download or from storage media) before using the device. This removes their bloatware.
As for the software from Microsoft directly, you can already uninstall a lot of Apps nowdays easily by right click > uninstall, with more to come in the next 2 updates.
If you want it even leaner, copy/paste a few lines into powershell (think MacOS terminal) to get rid of pretty much all that are removable like that yet.

Disableing Windows telemetry can be easy (if you have a Enterprise or Pro version) or require more work and advanced knowledge on the other version.

You can also download some scripts (however my advice is to vet it's content before running it.)

Regardless, Windows10 in it's current form will pretty much only be used by IT Pros/Enterprise/Power Users or for those with specific workflow variants that require legacy software going forward eventually.

Most people, in education and general consumers will start to use the modern leightweight "Windows10X" that does not come with all the legacy stuff. It's kind of a ChromeOS / iPadOS.
Here is a demo

sanctuary_s

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2021
May be you can try my script: https://github.com/farag2/Windows-10-Sophia-Script
Always up-to-date, 11k+ lines of code, 2,8k stars and 109k downloads since May 2020. It isnt a kind of debloater (hate like this word) but a script for "Windows 10 fine-tuning and automating the routine tasks". Customize Windows 10 to fit your needs. Many functions are unique.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Nowdays it does not require many steaps to have pretty software-lean Windows10 on your device.

1. When getting a new device, specially from retailers and certain manufacteres, do a fresh Windows10 install directly from Microsoft (web download or from storage media) before using the device. This removes their bloatware.

If you do this aren't you losing the machine specific drivers, or do they get downloaded when you first run Windows Update? Or do you have to download the machine specific drivers separately?

Different question...I have had Windows laptops from Dell, Acer, Lenovo etc and all had a raft of their own apps. I also recently had a Surface Laptop (faulty had to go back) briefly and that didn't seem to have any equivalent bloatware....is it generally true that Microsoft laptops have less bloatware?

I am currently tossing up between a second Surface Laptop 3 and a Dell XPS 13.....one factor in favour of the Surface would be bloatware, if that is the case.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
.is it generally true that Microsoft laptops have less bloatware?
Yes, but its not limited to MS. Razer only has their Chroma app, and Thinkpads only have their Lenovo app. In both cases those apps serve purposes. While the Lenovo app (I think its call vantage) is used to manage updates, warranty and machine specifics, its not needed.

Reactions: Mike Boreham

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
I had a Dell XPS 13 (9350) “signature edition” which I got from Microsoft Store a couple of years ago.
Fantastic device, came with 1 Dell and Intel app (that can be deleted), otherwise pristine Windows10.
Received automatic free HEVC, HEIC, HEIF or whatever codecs etc too in the Microsoft store.

If you do this aren't you losing the machine specific drivers, or do they get downloaded when you first run Windows Update? Or do you have to download the machine specific drivers separately?

Different question...I have had Windows laptops from Dell, Acer, Lenovo etc and all had a raft of their own apps. I also recently had a Surface Laptop (faulty had to go back) briefly and that didn't seem to have any equivalent bloatware....is it generally true that Microsoft laptops have less bloatware?

I am currently tossing up between a second Surface Laptop 3 and a Dell XPS 13.....one factor in favour of the Surface would be bloatware, that its the case.

to my knowledge Windows10 will automatically offer/propose you driver updates for installed hardware if the manufacturer submits them to Microsoft in the first place. Most bigger manufacturers do.

Just click on settings, Update and Security, update.
Some companies like Intel and Dell also offer a software update check on their website or with a preinstalled app.

Reactions: Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I had a Dell XPS 13 (9350) “signature edition” which I got from Microsoft Store a couple of years ago.
Fantastic device, came with 1 Dell and Intel app (that can be deleted), otherwise pristine Windows10.
Received automatic free HEVC, HEIC, HEIF or whatever codecs etc too in the Microsoft store.

to my knowledge Windows10 will automatically offer/propose you driver updates for installed hardware if the manufacturer submits them to Microsoft in the first place. Most bigger manufacturers do.

Just click on settings, Update and Security, update.
Some companies like Intel and Dell also offer a software update check on their website or with a preinstalled app.

Thanks you very much for that. Very helpful.

I am surprised that booting from an installer direct from Microsoft and erasing the drive, isn't the preferred way of getting a pristine machine...rather than third party apps.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
isn't the preferred way of getting a pristine machine
Personally that's the route I prefer to take. I prefer downloading a fresh copy of windows and going the fresh install (reformat/reinstall) route.

I stared this thread back in December and a couple of truths came out for me. First, debloating is a generic term, used for both the unwanted software installed and telemetry being sent to the mothership. The software in my case doesn't bother me. The computers I have, it has zero impact on performance. People get annoyed that candy crush is sort of pre-installed, that doesn't bother me and it has zero impact.

Many people want Cortana totally removed just not deactivated, the same with OneDrive, for me, I use OneDrive.

As for the telemetry, I run hot and cold, but I used at one point O&O ShutUp10 to turn the telemetry off. I've gone through some updates, so who knows if its back on. I'm really happy with the performance of my PC so why mess with success :)

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I remove some bloat. My Windows computers are DIY so that prevents a lot of bloat there. Elsewise it's a Mac.
- I'll go through the MS metro apps and remove all I don't want. Then disable the MS store.
- Look through privacy settings and disable anything I don't want
- Disable telemetry and automatic updates
- Manually install drivers to avoid unecessary utilities
- Disable some services and startup items
- A few other nitpicks

That's about it though. I'd say I'm pretty moderate about it. I used to be much more zealous about it. But once I got an SSD and an i5. The performance gains were too minor to bother with. I mean I'm on an 8 year old computer. It still doesn't feel like I'm close to its limit.

So, I just take out the stuff whose presence annoys me. Along with junk I feel is too invasive or simply makes things worse for their presence.

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020

As for the software from Microsoft directly, you can already uninstall a lot of Apps nowdays easily by right click > uninstall, with more to come in the next 2 updates.
If you want it even leaner, copy/paste a few lines into powershell (think MacOS terminal) to get rid of pretty much all that are removable like that yet.

Disableing Windows telemetry can be easy (if you have a Enterprise or Pro version) or require more work and advanced knowledge on the other version.

You can also download some scripts (however my advice is to vet it's content before running it.)

Regardless, Windows10 in it's current form will pretty much only be used by IT Pros/Enterprise/Power Users or for those with specific workflow variants that require legacy software going forward eventually.

Most people, in education and general consumers will start to use the modern leightweight "Windows10X" that does not come with all the legacy stuff. It's kind of a ChromeOS / iPadOS.
Here is a demo

and Windows10X it has been shelved if not cancelled…

Reactions: sracer and I7guy

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
We dont need a new Microsoft version now, we need Best Buys, Walmart to actually sell an Inspiron 15 5000 Laptop or something similar in their stores beside "baiting" us on visiting the site, wasting our time spending too much time finding the store location then offering the laptop for $200 more and 2 weeks down the road.
Yup, trying to buy a laptop for someone THAT DAY in 2021 is a problem.

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

I was expecting this... but I was surprised that it too so long.

No variation of desktop Windows will be successful because Microsoft refuses to invest the time and resources to create an optimized slimmer version. They end up doing some minimal and goofy stuff, that if it sees the light of day, doesn't deliver what was promised.

I was a big fan of the idea of the Surface RT w/Windows RT. (In a sense, I still am. I owned both gens) But what Windows RT turned out to be was immediately a disappointment. The Surface 2 was a very nice device for what it was. Windows RT was basically a recompile of the x86 version... which made absolutely no sense for a device with a mobile processor.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Wow that's both surprising and disappointing. While the MS was looking to reinvigorate its desktop OS as mentioned in the windows central article, I felt the windows 10x system could be used to do just that

Reactions: MiniApple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.