Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mingletron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
South Wales UK
hi, sorry if this has already been aswered.
I downloaded the iPhone SDK pretty much as soon as it was available and have been slowely learning. I got my first iPhone when the 3g was released on July 11 so now I can run my little apps on the phone? Do you have to pay and join the adc to do this as I was under the impression that you can put your own apps on your own phone without paying the $99. When I try running any demo app for example on my iPhone I get an error. Do I have to sign up and pay the $99 to do this.

Thanks

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Yes, but you can use the simulator for everything to make sure it's something you want to get into. I only install it on the device when I'm ready to show it off...it's must faster launching the simulator and it's the same thing(except motion)

scarnie

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2008
Yes, but you can use the simulator for everything to make sure it's something you want to get into. I only install it on the device when I'm ready to show it off...it's must faster launching the simulator and it's the same thing(except motion)

It's the same thing from UI perspective, but performance characteristics are nothing like the actual device. If you are doing anything CPU intensive, it pays to test on the device and test often. The simulator compiles to native x86 code, whereas the device is compiling to ARMv6 / Thumb assembly.

Cheers,

Stu

mingletron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
South Wales UK
Thanks guys.

I was hoping to run things on the phone as it makes it more exciting and more of an incentive to get something done. Looks like I will have to stick with the simulator for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.