Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuartmacs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
We've all noticed the recent changes in Apple's media strategy... iTunes ceding ground to Apple Music and of course Apple's upcoming TV subscription service, and just as important rebranding iBooks to Apple Books to keep with their new branding style and moving features baked into iTunes such as audiobooks over to the dedicated books app in iOS so each media type lives inside its own pillar.

I've been speculating how far apple will take this on the Mac and if the iTunes brand itself might be phased out altogether, in fact I think it might be a key strategy with the launch of their TV service. I see the iTunes app on Mac and Windows being rebranded as Apple Music and stripped of TV/Movie features that are moved over to the dedicated Apple TV app on Mac, audiobooks moved to Apple Books just like iOS, and releasing a Podcasts app for Mac.

I also think that it would make sense for them to want to keep purchasing individual songs that are not available to stream alive as a feature and for them to bake that into the dedicated Music app, same for TV and Movie purchases as well if you want to own instead of stream. There's no way the whole iTunes TV library can be moved over to streaming TV without copyright issues and I think their only option is to keep purchases alive in the TV app but to push the subscription model.

It just seems like the most "Apple-y" strategy even if turning iTunes into 3+ apps on Mac and PC will piss off users.

hojx

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2014
Singapore
I believe you are posting this in the wrong forum. You might want to try the Apple Services forum.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Is the any nature or things that grow where you are?
just go for a walk and look for flowers, birds, tress and other natural things that grace this planet.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Personally I’d like to see some other team take over the store apps because all of them have been some of the worst software Apple makes for years. Buggy and poorly designed. Splitting that to several apps won’t help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.