Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
I was diving in my dongle box today, looking for a Firewire 400-to-800 adapter, when I noted how many Apple-made dongles I have accumulated over the years (though they represent a small percentage of the overall dongle population in the aforementioned box). These dongles or adapters worked in service of an iBook, several Mac Pros and iMacs, MacBook Pros, MacBook Airs, and now a Mac Studio.

I thought I would share.

(The FW adapter I was looking for was found, but made by Dynex.)

me-dongles.jpeg

bp

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Neat.

Q: do you know what a group of dongles are called?

A: a diorama.
(yes, I made that up)

Therefor you've presented us with a Diorama of Dongles.

Reactions: transmaster

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
One thing I've noticed about Apple adapters.

If you don't already know what one is for, its function may be difficult to ascertain from simply looking at the markings on the dongle. They're all-too-often "cryptic". And designed to be so, in the name of "style".

You think they'd just "spell it out". English would work. Others would translate.

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
ADC to DVI adapters apparently are in high demand due to so few being available to people resurrecting old Apple displays.
Those things (A10006) are BIG & a pain in the butt with fat unwieldy cables. I have & use three of them lol :)

AFAIK that is the biggest adapter Apple has ever made.

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
ADC to DVI adapters apparently are in high demand due to so few being available to people resurrecting old Apple displays.
I had one, to connect my ACD 30 to my PowerMac G5, and later Mac Pro. It was a big situation, that adapter. The adapter needed to get that SGI 1600SW tied in was a bit more interesting and unusual, while we're talking about such things.

Reactions: PaulD-UK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.