Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Sorry if this is the wrong place, I was going to put it in the general but thought it might get more attention from creators.

I'm looking to buy an action camera. I think I want to start doing some outdoor lobbying (off trail driving, fishing, who knows what else) and thought it would be cool to get video of it. Maybe a midlife crisis, who knows.

Either way, my first thought was a GoPro and while their quality seems great, I don't even know if I want to publish it and not sure if I want to drop that kind of money on something that may sit in the closet.

Are there any other brands or models to look into? I certainly don't want some generic off brand and I'd like decent quality, 4k or 1080p and image stabilization.

JW5566

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2021
The problem with buying cheaper GoPro imitators is you do lose features and quality, most notably in my experience the stabilisation on cheaper models is nowhere near as good. I have a GoPro Hero 9 and it's stunning as an action camera and even as a vlogging (talking to camera) set up, thanks to its light weight. The Hero 9 is still on sale here in the UK at £250, the GoPro 11 is £400 so it's quite a saving going back a few generations. Even the Hero 8 is considered a capable action camera. GoPros also allow manual control which is critical in some situations to get the most out of it (example, night and low light shooting).

There's quite a few YouTube videos out there comparing GoPro and DJI offerings with cheaper knock-offs if you want to see what you'll lose.

Another consideration would be your mobile phone. Most are fairly capable - I use my now-old iPhone SE2 more and more for vlogging, using various holders and grips. Possibly not for trail driving, but for fishing you could rig up something quite cheap.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Oh yeah. I ended up picking up the Hero9 on sale.

I wish it had HDR though but I’m good for now. Sometimes the HDR videos look a little off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.