Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dljeffery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Issaquah, WA
Did an iPhone 15 Pro Max preorder through AT&T, replacing my old 11 Pro on my account and initiating a trade-in of the 11 Pro during the preorder process. Received the new 15 Pro Max just under a couple weeks ago and of course absolutely love it.

But I've been reading so many horror stories both here and on Reddit about AT&T trade-ins gone wrong. When I arranged everything, I was thinking that sure, I guess $830 in credits over the next three years in return for my perfectly functioning 11 Pro and being effectively locked in during that three year period is worth it. But for anything less, I don't really think it is.

Hearing too many stories of iPhones being evaluated and being downgraded to a $350 credit. Now, if AT&T said $350 off the price of the new phone up front, then maybe that would be OK with me? Not sure. But $9.72 in bill credit for each month I choose to 1) stay with AT&T, 2) not pay off my 15 Pro Max so I can replace it with something else, and 3) not have the freedom to evaluate other potentially better for me but non-compliant cell plans even staying with AT&T? Doesn't really seem worth it.

Not to mention too many stories of AT&T saying a phone was received with broken glass all around or other damage and is worth $0. And in any of the possible downgraded cases, having a policy and contract agreement stating that they won't return devices once the phone is submitted if you don't like their final offer... yeesh.

No, I've decided, after nearly two weeks of having my new 15 Pro Max, that I'll just keep my 11 Pro and do without the potential credits and very real effective lock-in. Even assuming everything goes perfectly, I get an $830 credit spread over 36 months. And if I switch carriers or plans or phones in a year, that means I sold AT&T my 11 Pro for $275, and to me, just keeping the phone gives me more value than that. (I do have actual potential uses for it; it wouldn't just get stuck in a drawer and forgotten.)

If I'm just being stupid here, I'm open to hearing and evaluating arguments against my current stance (and I still have some time to send the old phone in if I change my mind). But also wondering if anyone else here has made the same decision.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Did an iPhone 15 Pro Max preorder through AT&T, replacing my old 11 Pro on my account and initiating a trade-in of the 11 Pro during the preorder process. Received the new 15 Pro Max just under a couple weeks ago and of course absolutely love it.

But I've been reading so many horror stories both here and on Reddit about AT&T trade-ins gone wrong. When I arranged everything, I was thinking that sure, I guess $830 in credits over the next three years in return for my perfectly functioning 11 Pro and being effectively locked in during that three year period is worth it. But for anything less, I don't really think it is.

Hearing too many stories of iPhones being evaluated and being downgraded to a $350 credit. Now, if AT&T said $350 off the price of the new phone up front, then maybe that would be OK with me? Not sure. But $9.72 in bill credit for each month I choose to 1) stay with AT&T, 2) not pay off my 15 Pro Max so I can replace it with something else, and 3) not have the freedom to evaluate other potentially better for me but non-compliant cell plans even staying with AT&T? Doesn't really seem worth it.

Best way is to do the offer and trade in at an Apple Store since they evaluate the phone as part of the trade in process.

Tdevilsg

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2021
I traded in my 13 pro with a case and screen protector to Verizon for a similar 830 credit without issue. Do people typically switch carriers within 36 months? For better or worse I've been with Verizon for almost 20 years now.

dljeffery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Issaquah, WA
Best way is to do the offer and trade in at an Apple Store since they evaluate the phone as part of the trade in process.
That's something I considered doing but I'm currently located a few hours away from the nearest Apple Store and they weren't giving any pick up options on the 15 Pro Max when I preordered. If they had, though, I would have made the drive.

I think at some point in the future I'll just skip the carrier installments altogether and go with the iPhone Upgrade Program. I'm doing the monthly AC+ anyway, so why not just bundle it in?

dljeffery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Issaquah, WA
I traded in my 13 pro with a case and screen protector to Verizon for a similar 830 credit without issue. Do people typically switch carriers within 36 months? For better or worse I've been with Verizon for almost 20 years now.
I've been with AT&T since at least a year or two before the first iPhone came out and have never had any sort of beef with them, which is why I would have been OK with the trade-in and lock in if I just had more confidence I would actually get the full $830 credit.

But still, I have done some light window shopping over the years with other carriers. If I did switch, pretty sure it would be to Verizon.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
Have you considered turning it in at an AT&T corporate retail store instead of shipping it? That way, you at least get some degree of assurance that you'll get the full credit, since an employee examines the phone and gives you a receipt stating its established value. Still probably not 100% confidence, but safer than just mailing it in.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I traded in my iPhone 12 Pro to Apple and regret it so I think you made the right choice. I really should have kept it as a back up in case my primary iPhone gets lost, stolen or stops working. I'm going to a few countries in the next year where there are still a lot of smartphone thefts and it's recommended that travelers bring spares. Two good friends of mine had their phones stolen on separate occasions while traveling and it ruined their trip.

I have no idea why stealing smartphones in 2023 is still a thing considering they are so effectively locked -- and on iPhones at least the major internal components are software locked -- so you can't even use it for parts.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Good choice. Trade-ins with multi-year contract lock-ins suck. And you’re right, more than a few people have been burned by the trade-in rip-off
It's not a contract, and he can leave AT&T at any time. He just forfeits any remaining credits. $830 is a lot, and much more than he'd get on the open market. So assuming he sticks around for ~1 yr, he's coming out ahead.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I traded in my iPhone 12 Pro to Apple and regret it so I think you made the right choice. I really should have kept it as a back up in case my primary iPhone gets lost, stolen or stops working. I'm going to a few countries in the next year where there are still a lot of smartphone thefts and it's recommended that travelers bring spares. Two good friends of mine had their phones stolen on separate occasions while traveling and it ruined their trip.

AC+Theft and Loss covers it abroad and if it is offered where you are replacement can be done there.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
It's not a contract, and he can leave AT&T at any time. He just forfeits any remaining credits. $830 is a lot, and much more than he'd get on the open market. So assuming he sticks around for ~1 yr, he's coming out ahead.

It also depends on your plan. If you have an older plan, the carrier deals may require changing to a more expensive plan. in my case that would nearly double my bill; so even with credits the phone is more expensive than buying outright.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Have you considered selling your iPhone back to Apple? You may not get as much, but you get the full amount upfront and know the agreed upon price. But I think your reasoning is completely valid.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
AC+Theft and Loss covers it abroad and if it is offered where you are replacement can be done there.
I asked an Apple Store employee if theft and loss was covered outside the US and he told me that no, it was not. Perhaps he was misinformed. However, one of the countries I may be going to is Colombia where the sale of iPhones are currently banned so I wouldn't be getting one there in any case.

missingar

Suspended
Jun 22, 2023
It's not a contract but it works exactly like if you pre-paid an Early Termination Fee in the form of a phone trade in.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I asked an Apple Store employee if theft and loss was covered outside the US and he told me that no, it was not. Perhaps he was misinformed. However, one of the countries I may be going to is Colombia where the sale of iPhones are currently banned so I wouldn't be getting one there in any case.

It is although shipping options are limited; if you aren't in a country where it is offered they ship to an address in the country you bought it.

Reactions: barkomatic

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
It's not a contract but it works exactly like if you pre-paid an Early Termination Fee in the form of a phone trade in.
It's not like that at all and there's no such thing as a 'pre-paid ETF'.

You don't pay anything out of pocket if you leave. And you don't pay back the credits you've already received.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Don't ask Apple Store employees things related to legal obligations :)

Apple's lawyers have already spelled it out for you: https://support.apple.com/iphone/theft-loss-claims

Reactions: barkomatic

Flamingdeathbolts

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2023
My last upgrade was the first time I had to ship in my phone to Verizon and like you I was hesitant. But I shipped it and got the full $800 credit. It was an iPhone11 and it was barely worth $100 otherwise.

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
It sounds like you have made up your mind already.

I will say this: $830 for an old phone is a lot to leave on the table because of a small chance you will not get that much and not get the phone back. I have traded in several phones with AT&T and had no issues even with scratched glass on the screen.

Also, you keep the credits earned to date if you change carriers or phones before the 36 months is up, so it is still more than $0 and, depending on how long you keep it, possibly more than the phone is worth now.

missingar

Suspended
Jun 22, 2023
It's not like that at all and there's no such thing as a 'pre-paid ETF'.

You don't pay anything out of pocket if you leave. And you don't pay back the credits you've already received.
If you've already given them an $850 device and they don't pay you for it because you canceled, you've paid them a termination fee in the form of a device worth several hundred dollars, whether you want to call it that or not. Framing it differently might make you feel better but it's still costing you hundreds of dollars to cancel.

Reactions: Bobdigi76

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
If you've already given them an $850 device and they don't pay you for it because you canceled, you've paid them a termination fee in the form of a device worth several hundred dollars, whether you want to call it that or not. Framing it differently might make you feel better but it's still costing you hundreds of dollars to cancel.
The alternative to trade in is to pay the full price of the new phone, whether you cancel early or not.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
But you haven't given them a $850 device. You've given them one with a street value of $100-$250. If you decide to cancel service before you've recouped that $100-$250, that's just a poor financial decision or a mistake on your part.

It's not a termination fee, which has a specific legal meanings and getting a credit for a trade-in device is not considered such.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.