Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manuel.s90

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2020
I currently own an iPhone 8 Plus which I've been looking to upgrade to a somewhat smaller iPhone with better cameras.

In Germany, the iPhone 11 Pro and the iPhone 12 are quite similarly priced for the time being. I've been considering the iPhone 11 Pro for quite some time, but the new regular iPhone 12 seems like a fantastic device, too.

I've made up this list of pros for each device:

iPhone 11 Pro
  • Brighter display (800 nits)
  • Telephoto lens (more important to me than ultra wide)
  • Slightly smaller

iPhone 12
  • Improved main camera, better low light capacity
  • A14
  • Bigger display despite only being 2.7mm taller
  • 5G (doesn't matter at all to me at this point though)
  • Flat edges design (which I also prefer personally)
  • Lighter (26g)
  • Better resale value (due to more modern design and tech)

I'd love to your take on this. Overall, I'm leaning towards the iPhone 12. Coming from an iPhone 8 Plus, I suppose the only thing I'd miss is the telephoto lens, but having a much better main lens is much more important to me.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
If you love big phones, go with 12? The old 11 Pro is pretty small kinda in between of Mini and 12.

Plus the new colors look great on the 12. I hate the green on last year’s Pro models.

stefan1983

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
Aachen, Germany
I currently own an iPhone 8 Plus which I've been looking to upgrade to a somewhat smaller iPhone with better cameras.

In Germany, the iPhone 11 Pro and the iPhone 12 are quite similarly priced for the time being. I've been considering the iPhone 11 Pro for quite some time, but the new regular iPhone 12 seems like a fantastic device, too.

iPhone 11 Pro
  • Slightly smaller

iPhone 12
  • A14
  • Lighter (26g)

I'd love to your take on this. Overall, I'm leaning towards the iPhone 12. Coming from an iPhone 8 Plus, I suppose the only thing I'd miss is the telephoto lens, but having a much better main lens is much more important to me.
Hey, since I am thinking about the same move (but coming from iPhone 7)....what was your decision finally? And happy with it?

Reactions: manuel.s90

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
I returned the 128gb 12 Pro I had purchased for $999 and bought a 256gb 11 Pro in mint condition for $670 and it was the best decision I made.

The reason I returned the 12 Pro is that mine had a yellow tint on the display that was extremely annoying. The display was noticeably worse than my previous 8+, my wife's XS, my iPad Pro, and my MacBook Pro. All display 12 Pros at 2 different Apple Stores were the same or worse than mine therefore I decided it was not worth exchanging mine for another.

Having the 11 Pro for a week after using the 12 Pro for a week, there is absolutely nothing that I miss from the 12 Pro. The camera differences are negligible (IMO), the 11 Pro is actually more comfortable on my hand (12 Pro looks better, but the 11 Pro feels better), and I actually prefer the 5.8 inch screen. The 6.1 inch 12 Pro is just taller (it is very noticeable IMO), which actually makes it harder to reach the top for the control center. 5G is completely worthless to me.

I'll keep the 11 Pro until Apple reduces the notch, adds a 120Hz screen, and adds Touch ID to supplement Face ID. The biggest features YoY are on the camera and I have a DSLR for pictures, therefore improvements to the camera is not what I look for the most when I upgrade my phone (hence why I was using an 8+ until now).

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
I returned the 128gb 12 Pro I had purchased for $999 and bought a 256gb 11 Pro in mint condition for $670 and it was the best decision I made.

The reason I returned the 12 Pro is that mine had a yellow tint on the display that was extremely annoying. The display was noticeably worse than my previous 8+, my wife's XS, my iPad Pro, and my MacBook Pro. All display 12 Pros at 2 different Apple Stores were the same or worse than mine therefore I decided it was not worth exchanging mine for another.

Having the 11 Pro for a week after using the 12 Pro for a week, there is absolutely nothing that I miss from the 12 Pro. The camera differences are negligible (IMO), the 11 Pro is actually more comfortable on my hand (12 Pro looks better, but the 11 Pro feels better), and I actually prefer the 5.8 inch screen. The 6.1 inch 12 Pro is just taller (it is very noticeable IMO), which actually makes it harder to reach the top for the control center. 5G is completely worthless to me.

I'll keep the 11 Pro until Apple reduces the notch, adds a 120Hz screen, and adds Touch ID to supplement Face ID. The biggest features YoY are on the camera and I have a DSLR for pictures, therefore improvements to the camera is not what I look for the most when I upgrade my phone (hence why I was using an 8+ until now).
Should of got the 12, much lighter, and mine has as good a screen as my 11 pro did. Nicer to hold too.

manuel.s90

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2020
Hey, since I am thinking about the same move (but coming from iPhone 7)....what was your decision finally? And happy with it?
Hey, I actually got the iPhone 12 for free through my employer. It's an amazing phone and I'm definitely happy with it. The only thing I might miss coming from my iPhone 8 Plus (and in comparison to the iPhone 11 Pro) is the telephoto lens, but time will tell. :)

Reactions: stefan1983

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore

iPhone 11 Pro
  • Slightly smaller

iPhone 12
  • A14
  • Lighter (26g)

I’m selling my iPhone 11 Pro and I’m in Germany. We could work out a great price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.