Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zupi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2024
Hello everyone,

I'm considering purchasing a MacBook Pro for my needs in front-end web development. I plan to use it for running Windows 11 virtual machines to test website compatibility and, occasionally, to run software that's not available on macOS. Additionally, I'll be using it extensively for multimedia purposes, such as watching movies. I'm looking at a model with 36GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD, as my goal is to use it for at least the next 5 years. The price difference between the M3 Pro and M3 Max models is about 615 euros. Which option would be better for me? Given that the M3 Max boasts higher performance cores, featuring 10 cores compared to the M3 Pro's 6, I'm curious if this will provide a noticeable difference in performance over a period like 5 years. Also, I'm concerned about noise levels and battery life, especially since I value quiet operation for my multimedia usage. How do these two models compare in these aspects?

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I'm considering purchasing a MacBook Pro for my needs in front-end web development. I plan to use it for running Windows 11 virtual machines to test website compatibility and, occasionally, to run software that's not available on macOS.
If that is an important requirement, then before choosing an Apple Silicon (M1/M2/M3) Mac then you need to check that all of the Windows software you need will run on Windows for ARM - preferably in native mode – and also that it works in a VM on Apple Silicon. Software support for Windows for ARM is improving, and many x86 apps will run under Windows' own emulation - but AFAIK it is still far from complete. I believe running x86 Windows under full emulation in UTM or suchlike is possible - but emulating an entire OS like that can be very sluggish, even compared with the x86 app support in Windows for ARM.

You should be OK with Edge/Chrome/Firefox, but for any other software you'll need to check.

I've found that browser compatibility checking on Windows - while still sometimes necessary - is much less of an issue since Internet Explorer shuffled off the scene: Firefox Chrome and Edge are pretty close between MacOS and Windows and the headache these days is actually Safari across Mac, iPas and iPhone (though not as bad as Internet Explorer used to be). Last time I hit a major browser compatibility snag on Windows it turned out to be a Parallels video driver issue rather than a browser issue...

The other website compatibility issue is that a lot of Windows laptops and tablets are touch screen – that can't really be tested on a Mac and doesn't always work the same on iPad/iOS Safari. I'd kinda resolved that the next time I get paid to do any web development (90% of which is great on a M1 Max Mac - including linux VMs for the server side) I'd get a Surface Pro or some other Windows 2-in-one for testing.

Aside from that, the M3 Pro should be more than adequate for web development and multimedia consumption - and, in fact, a regular M3 with sufficient RAM would probably be adequate unless you need more than one external display or more than 2 TB ports.

Reactions: Zupi

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Although the M3 Pro should be just fine the M3 Pro Max does have a higher memory bandwidth and could be a consideration depending on your budget. I personally went with the M3 Pro Max because I really want to get back into 3D work and and it's been a dream so far.

Zupi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2024
Although the M3 Pro should be just fine the M3 Pro Max does have a higher memory bandwidth and could be a consideration depending on your budget. I personally went with the M3 Pro Max because I really want to get back into 3D work and and it's been a dream so far.
I don't plan to use it for 3D projects, just exclusively for front-end web development and virtual machines. Therefore, I'm wondering if the M3 Pro with 6P cores will be sufficient even for five years from now. I chose 36 GB of RAM to ensure some level of future-proofing. Did you choose the 16-inch version? I'm interested in the noise level of the M3 Max. Since I plan to use the device for watching movies as well, that feature is very important to me. However, if the differences in noise and battery life are negligible, I might consider spending an extra 600 euros, given that I plan to use the device for at least 5 years.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I was wondering about this also. Not my words but someone advised me this: "I have the M3 pro with 18 GB of ram and 14 core CPU. It is blisteringly fast and handles a multitude of tasks which my old MacBook could never handle: it is particularly good at rendering 3-D video using Final Cut Pro, which I use a lot. The M3 max has more cores and more memory, I believe up to 36 GB. I reviewed both machines carefully and decided it simply wasn't worth the extra cost. By the way, I have the 16 inch screen which is wonderful and allows me to do more work away from my multi screen office. In my opinion, you will be delighted with the M3 pro and I recommend it wholeheartedly."

Reactions: Zupi

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I am a light user. I have the 16" M3 Pro that I'm using now, but also have a 16" M3 Max, unopened (dying to open it!!) but the store I bought it from here in the UK only accept returns if still unopened and not used (I know!). So far, from all I have read, I don't need the max. It's another £1K here in the UK.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I don't plan to use it for 3D projects, just exclusively for front-end web development and virtual machines. Therefore, I'm wondering if the M3 Pro with 6P cores will be sufficient even for five years from now. I chose 36 GB of RAM to ensure some level of future-proofing. Did you choose the 16-inch version? I'm interested in the noise level of the M3 Max. Since I plan to use the device for watching movies as well, that feature is very important to me. However, if the differences in noise and battery life are negligible, I might consider spending an extra 600 euros, given that I plan to use the device for at least 5 years.

I have the 14 inch, I travel with min a lot and the 16 was pretty big. As far as fan noise it's pretty negligible. The only time I hear fans kick in is if my computer is on a blanket (but that's normal since they shouldn't be on blankets). Otherwise I almost never hear them kick on even watching video or playing video games (although I didn't get to do a lot of 3D work yet so maybe they'll kick on when I'm texture painting).

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I am a light user. I have the 16" M3 Pro that I'm using now, but also have a 16" M3 Max, unopened (dying to open it!!) but the store I bought it from here in the UK only accept returns if still unopened and not used (I know!). So far, from all I have read, I don't need the max. It's another £1K here in the UK.
Well, I ended up changing my mind and returning the 16". Instead I bought the 14" M3 Max. Considering I usually use hooked up to a Studio Display I thought the size didn't matter, and the 14" being more portable won the day for me. Still overkill for my needs but there you go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.