Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kevsurf

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
Dear all,

In December 2021, I ordered the then new M1 iMac BTO (16gb ram, 500 gb SSD). It was my first desktop ever, before that I had MacBook since 2007.
However, after two years, I figured out that the desktop is annoying, I prefer MacBooks and the iMac occupies too much space in my small desk. It cannot even be used as an external display for my work computer. This is my biggest con!

What shall I do now? Apple trade in offers me 450€ and I am eying for a MacBook Air M2 to regain portability. I already know, that I could get an external display from work to put on my desk.
Shall I buy a MacBook and trade in the iMac for this?

Reactions: jeremy's pinkle

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Try the external display with your iMac (just as a test, not a solution). You may find it disappointing compared to the iMac screen when using MacOS (not the same as Windows). Or maybe not. This may influence your decision.
Apple trade-in gives you the least you can get, although very convenient. You will get far more selling privately, but with the attendant hassle (and possible risk).
I use Apple trade-in basically because I don't want to deal with the hassle of selling and I can afford to do so. Not everyone has the same situation or viewpoint, though.
If you decide to do the Apple trade-in, consider trying out the M2 Air for 14 days. The trade-in likewise has to be traded in 14 days. So if you decide after a week you don't like it you can undo the purchase with no risk or cost. (Assuming you are in a country where the 14-day return period is available)

Last edited:

Kevsurf

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
Try the external display with your iMac (just as a test, not a solution). You may find it disappointing compared to the iMac screen when using MacOS (not the same as Windows). Or maybe not. This may influence your decision.
Apple trade-in gives you the least you can get, although very convenient. You will get far more selling privately, but with the attendant hassle (and possible risk).
I use Apple trade-in basically because I don't want to deal with the hassle of selling and I can afford to do so. Not everyone has the same situation or viewpoint, though.
If you decide to do the Apple trade-in, consider trying out the M2 Air for 14 days. The trade-in likewise has to be traded in 14 days. So if you decide after a week you don't like it you can undo the purchase with no risk or cost.
Thanks for your input. The thing is, my desk is pretty small. My company changed to home office 4/5 days a week. Since my iMac occupies this desk and I cannot connect my work notebook with it, I struggle with this machine. This is why I intend to sell it.
I could also afford trade in, selling an iMac privately could be an issue…
It’s a shame, we cannot use the iMac as external display.

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
Dear all,

In December 2021, I ordered the then new M1 iMac BTO (16gb ram, 500 gb SSD). It was my first desktop ever, before that I had MacBook since 2007.
However, after two years, I figured out that the desktop is annoying, I prefer MacBooks and the iMac occupies too much space in my small desk. It cannot even be used as an external display for my work computer. This is my biggest con!

What shall I do now? Apple trade in offers me 450€ and I am eying for a MacBook Air M2 to regain portability. I already know, that I could get an external display from work to put on my desk.
Shall I buy a MacBook and trade in the iMac for this?
If your desk is too small for an all in 1 like a 24" iMac, won't a laptop with an external monitor just take up more space? Also unless your work will provide you with a 4k monitor prepare to be very disappointed coming from the iMac.

Last edited:

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
It cannot even be used as an external display for my work computer. This is my biggest con!

Since my iMac occupies this desk and I cannot connect my work notebook with it, I struggle with this machine.
If it were simply a matter of the iMac taking up too much space (odd, since it's got a very small desktop footprint), then adding a VESA adaptor and putting it on an arm might make sense.

I just found that product by online searching to see if if were possible; I'm not recommending that specific product, just pointing out it can be done.

What work computer do you use? Even if the iMac floated in air and occupied no desk space, it wouldn't serve as an external display for your work computer, I'm guessing? In that case, the space thing isn't the main thing.

Even so, if you are determined to replace the iMac with a MacBook Air + work computer-compatible external display, you may still want to mount that display on a VESA arm if your desk space is at such a premium. Just throwing the idea out there.

Andrey84

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Greater London, United Kingdom
If after 2 years you didn't fall in love with your iMac, and you find it annoying, and you cannot use it as a monitor with your work computer, you should replace it.

There was a great comment above to test the new external monitor first before switching.

You don't have to trade-in your iMac to Apple. You could sell it on eBay, when they offer 80% off valuation fees, and you should get significantly more than just 450 euros. Price your listing at 1,200 euro and see how it goes. You can always reduce it. Check 'Sold Items' prices on eBay to understand the real prices. Attached are UK sold prices, but for 8GB.

MacBook Air is in the middle of the product cycle according to MacRumors Buyer's Guide. So, if you're getting a used one, it's OK, but to get a new one now wouldn't be optimal.

iMAc sold uk.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Unfortunately, my home-office is pretty small. My desk is optimized for this small room...
If your desk is so small that it can not accommodate an imac then it would not be able to accommodate an external monitor and a macbook either, why? because the external monitor (from work you say) would be of similar size to that of an imac and the macbook would be sitting on the desk where the keyboard would normally be sitting.

Kevsurf

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
If your desk is so small that it can not accommodate an imac then it would not be able to accommodate an external monitor and a macbook either, why? because the external monitor (from work you say) would be of similar size to that of an imac and the macbook would be sitting on the desk where the keyboard would normally be sitting.
I think I described it in a bad way. My iMac occupies my desk, since the iMac comes with a keyboard and trackpad, both fit there perfectly. However, my work laptop cannot be connected to the iMacs screen, to use this as external display. And this really annoys me. Hence, I figured to get rid of the iMac, get an external display from work and then I could connect both, my work machine and an MacBook Air with this display.
To me, that seems to be a reasonable solution for my space / display problem.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
To me, that seems to be a reasonable solution for my space / display problem.
Yes, but I'll draw attention to the couple of replies you got that mentioned using a monitor with a VESA mount. Mounting the monitor to the wall or desk can free up more space for you. Just be sure to get an arm that can be flat against the wall (not all arms do, some have elbows that jut out prominently.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.