Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheareb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2009
hey all, I have been holding out for an iMac i7 as I like the new screen and power. however, common sense needs to kick in a bit.

I am looking to do:
  • IPhone Development (following the CS193P course online)
  • Web Developmet using Dreamweaver
  • let my son use the machine for Garageband as hes interested in a career in music production
  • run windows based applications (maybe dreamweaver at first)
  • Windows Games - Battlefield 2/Battlefield Bad Company 2

At present, I have a sony vaio media centre 1.8ghz core 2 duo with 2gb ram and was hoping to replace it with something that will last me another 3-4 years. However, in the short term I may have to go for something which will be on an equal par hardware wise but perform better due to the OS (I have been a windows user all my life).

My thinking is buy a mac mini/macbook right now to let me get started and buy and imac later in its cycle this year - this lets me try out iPhone dev etc at a lower cost.

the Mac Mini (2.26) I can get for about £450, or higher sped for £596 but not sure I need the extra processor or memory with this OS???? have enough external storage for that not to be an issue.

Would I be disappointed with the mac mini or should I splash out on the 21.5 iMac for the bigger spec, keyboard and mouse - not sure its worth it over the base mini (£400 difference) but its only £250 more that the 2.53 mini!

decisions decisions.

Will the base mini run iLife09 apps without any lag or issues?
What about composing home movies with iMovie?
How would I connect speakers to the Mini?

Sorry for the dumb questions :eek:

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
If your current computer does everything you want it to do, the Mac Mini will just make everything better. I say if you have the money, get the high end model because it already comes with 4GB of RAM and a 320GB hard drive so you never have to open it.

To your first 2 questions, yes they will run them flawlessly. To your 3rd question, you will have to connect your speakers via the 3.5mm audio out jack on the Mac Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.