Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
I know there are a lot of powerbook vs. ibook threads, but this one is a little different. Ever since I went to the apple store, my eyes always look at the powerbooks. They are definitely sleeker and just feel a lot better. I know the spec’s are similar and etc. But keeping in mind that I may use the screen spanning later on… I also need to keep this laptop for 3-4 yrs, and seeing as though this is the pro machine, I’m assuming it’s built good enough to last that long? So nearly a 300 diff after the quirks and why do I want a pb? Mostly for its design, also I’m sure the 32mb extra of vram (I think..) will help it longer in terms of keeping it for another 3-4 yrs! Lastly, before I was going to have to pay for this laptop on my own, well I talked to my parents about getting a laptop, because I had no intention of them helping me, but I always make my purchasing decisions with my parents. They said they’ll help me a lot! They said they’ll put in 800 and I can get the rest… I’m thinking for quite some time this will be my only chance to get as nice of a machine as the powerbook,

So in the end, would you get the pb if in my shoes?

Extremly confused switcher... :confused: (jus cuz i kno if i got the ibook, i'd always be wanting the pb...)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I always go for the Powerbooks, the iBooks are nice, but cheap. The only + to them is their battery life, which is significantly better then that of the PB line.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
im possibly biased because im a powerbook owner, but i'll try my best to be balanced.

Before the ibook update, i ordered an ibook 12" over the phone. 2 days later, just as you pointed at, i couldnt get the powerbook out of my head. I'd been to see both models and the powerbook just wedged itself into my head and never left.

I phoned up to change my order to a 12" powerbook. The sales man said 'you've made a good decision', and ever since then i've never regretted having the powerbook over the ibook. And i know that it would have been the opposite had i gone for the ibook.

Of course, now that the ibooks have been updated, its a slightly different decision, as the specs are now closer.

But one thing remains the same, the form factor.
I just love the look of the powerbook, the way the led's on the battery arn't hidden under the surface, it's the same for the sleep led too. The way all the ports are on the one side (just power for ibook on the right, not much difference but still), the position of the speakers, the colour.

Everyone has different opinions, but mine is that choosing the powerbook was the best computing decision i ever made. Im typing this on an external monitor at the moment, my itunes visualizer is on the laptop screen, and i couldnt have done this had i gone for an ibook.

It sounds like you have an itch inside that you'll regret not getting the powerbook. The ibook is a great machine, but if you have that itch from the start, i think you'll always wonder what the powerbook is all about.

So yes, in your shoes, i'd be the owner of a powerbook.
I intend mine to last through uni, if it doesnt, im back to my previous computer, an old windows advent 0.8, 128. And i know my powerbook won't let that happen.

Just looking at it tells me it wont let me down.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
I just bought a new one and had to go with the PowerBook. This computer has to last me through college, and law school, I didn't think that the iBook would cut it. Besides, the PowerBook is just such a sexier machine. I love the look of the PowerBook so much more, which probably isn't the best reason to choose it, but sometimes it's best to choose a book by it's cover, so to speak.

kinsella93

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2005
St. John's, Newfoundland
can someone tell me if the new 14" ibook will hook up to a 32" tv and what will the picture quality look like if it does?? and also can i upgrade video card and for around how much?
thanks

pizzicatoiv

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2005
I am in the same boat

I am also considering the PB/iBook decision.

I have a Dell Latitude D800 which I consider offically my "desktop replacement", that is to say, I hate it and never take it anywhere with me. Clunky, huge, feels somewhat flimsy.

But, I plan on keeping it as a "desktop".

I want to run OS X, I fell in love with it through friends. I do not like fidgiting with my computer and I would like it to just run, not have to deal with patches, upgrades, so on... i.e. I want to be a "light" user.

I am looking for something small, so either the 12 inch ibook or power book. Now with the updates to the ibook line they look very, very similar. In fact, I dont know if I can justify the extra 500 dollars for the powerbook.

The specs look nearly identical after the update, what are the real, tangible differences between the iBook and the Powerbook, I've heard some discussion of video options? The ibook cannot span onto an external monitor.

Another option I was looking at was waiting for a x86 version of Mac OS X and run it on a subnotebook. I havent heard much about this development, when is it expected to be released?

I cannot stress enough that my primary desire for moving towards a Mac is simply to increase the transparency of my computer, rather than consistently requiring messing around with it and such... ease of use. This transition started with building my own desktops (super maintenance), to a windows notebook (still not seamless, but at least I never had to rip off the case to adjust fans, etc), to a Mac (hopefully requiring very little of my time in maintanence).

Another primary concern of mine is longevity. I want either investment to last a long time and in good condition.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
It's doubtful that you will be able to purchase OS X and run it on any old x86 anytime soon. The x86 versions of Macs won't be released for another year, nor will the (Apple) x86 version of OS X (Leopard).

You will still have to install patches and updates, but they are pretty simple to do. Click on a button "Install" when it appears, restart when it's done, and away you go.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Wow guys, i am extremly glad i chose to not remain a lurker and finally join this forum! I posted in another message board, and got nothing imo..so thank you for everyones great responses.. :)

second.. i don't mind if the mods wish to combine mine and kinsella93's thread.. i did not c this thread..so my apoligies..

I think what everyone here is saying to me is that if i already had my heart set on the pb, than i'd always want the pb...which is the same thnig i was thinking! I was just making sure i wasn't missing something...I already bought microsoft office for mac this weekend, now all i need is my pb! haha, i got office b4 hand, cuz im still contenplating for the computer, and wanted to make sure i get the 50 dollor rebate b4 it runs out... since even tho every one is telling me not to switch (didn't kno so many of my friends were die-hard gates fans.. i cant seem to find a single reason to stay with windows.. gosh, either i'm getting the pb thsi weekend or next, its comming close now!)

Question!!!
and than one other question i had was... i don't understand much about x86 and etc.. or what not, but i understand that macs rite now are not x86, and that leopard will be x86.. so does that mean i will not be able to run leapord on my pb whenever it comes out?

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
Well, welcome to macrumors, the forum that responds.

Don't worry, steve isnt about to cut us all off when the next os comes out.
Are you steve. :cool: he will def give power pc lepard, he has too. im sure and well, kinda hoping that someone is about to confirm this!

Oh, i dont know how many friends you have, but im willing to bet its not quite as many as the amount on this forum! and well, we will tell you all to go for an apple over a pc.

And we arn't biased now are we? Well yes, we are, but only because we have seen the light that is apple, the truth behind the best computers, and as a result we will never turn back..
Did plato?

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
Ashapalan said:
Everyone has different opinions, but mine is that choosing the powerbook was the best computing decision i ever made. Im typing this on an external monitor at the moment, my itunes visualizer is on the laptop screen, and i couldnt have done this had i gone for an ibook.

I don't believe this is true. You can span with an iBook.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
Listen to your PEERS!!

Hey guys i was in the same boat. but i ACTUALLY BOUGHT THE iBook. the reason for that was because i was short on money, and it was my frist mac. i loved, but like yall say, i couldnt get the powerbook outta my head. so 9 months later, i upped the ram on my ibook from 256 to 1.25. i was happy, but not happy enough. i ended up selling the ibook on ebay, and got my pb like 3 weeks ago. best decision ever. it looks much more nicer. it weighs less, and its just better. IMO it was the best computing decision. if you look AT MY POSTS, i have a link of both my ibook and pbook 12'' next to each other, and pb is so much nicer....actually i wont be lazy...heres the link..https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1725803#post1725803 and look for POST #23 :)

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
It sounds as though you've already got your heart set on the PowerBook... so go for it! As a PB owner and fairly recent switcher myself i can assure you, you won't be disappointed :)

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
Go for the PB

I have had my 12" PB Super for less than 2 days now and I literally sleep with it (not in that way you peverts! :p ) I seriously have not regretted getting it. Not even 1 sec.

And you have the additional finance coming from your 'rents?? Man, what are you waiting for? Powerbook all the way! :cool:

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
If I were in your shoes, I would DEFINITLEY go for the PowerBook.

I am a :D P R O U D :D owner of an iBook, and if you really like the look of the PowerBook and the feel of it... why not? You are already getting $800 off the top!

I do like the iBooks though, I have NOT dreamed, thought about, getting a PowerBook ... or even wanted one, for that matter. My iBook OVERKILLS my need! Loads Photoshop in, ahh.. 4-8 seconds. litterally. ... and that's with iTunes, iChat, Safari, and Word open!

I :eek: love :eek: the iBook's feel and case and... everything about it.. the battery life... so much

I guess we are all different.

Go for the PowerBook! :D

pizzicatoiv

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2005
I dont understand this business about not being able to get the powerbook out of his/her head. What would make a person say "I wish I got a powerbook" if they bought an ibook? Is it entirely aesthetic reasons? Is it the branding (the idea that it's a powerbook, not an iBook)?

Because, really the actual specifications (after the new iBook) look almost the same. They also look fairly similar.

I.e. when someone wants to pay 500 dollars more (that's 33% of the original ibook price!), what are they getting? In terms of performance, durability, weight/size difference, extra features, etc?

Being a student, and having had saved already for a long time to buy this machine... i'd rather my notebook look like poo and be ultra-portable and durable. That said, I think both the powerbook and the iBook have a sleek design.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
haha...

so no answers on the question about leopard being released for both x86 and ppc? :(

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
pizzicatoiv said:
I dont understand this business about not being able to get the powerbook out of his/her head. What would make a person say "I wish I got a powerbook" if they bought an ibook? Is it entirely aesthetic reasons? Is it the branding (the idea that it's a powerbook, not an iBook)?

Because, really the actual specifications (after the new iBook) look almost the same. They also look fairly similar.

I.e. when someone wants to pay 500 dollars more (that's 33% of the original ibook price!), what are they getting? In terms of performance, durability, weight/size difference, extra features, etc?

Being a student, and having had saved already for a long time to buy this machine... i'd rather my notebook look like poo and be ultra-portable and durable. That said, I think both the powerbook and the iBook have a sleek design.

Your right! Performance wise, they are close, not same, but very close. Worth the extra 500 bux based on the difference in performance solo.. no i don't think so.. but alot of it does have to do with astehtics..and jus holding a powerbook and ibook.. i personally just idk why, find the pb so much better! Maybe it has a bit to do with apple brainwashing, or a bit too much forum reading on the pbook and not enough on the ibook... :p

aaagat@optonlin

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2005
Stamford, CT
I was in this same situation a month ago and went with the powerbook over the ibook. Even though performance wise it was not worth the price, the bigger screen, different look, and better feel was. To me the ibook just wasn't enough and every time I would go into the mac store I couldn't help but going over to the powerbooks.

The current powerbooks are awesome and you will definetley be satisfied once you bring the box home and open it up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.