Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swap MacBook SR for PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHZ

• Yes do it!

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Are you mad? NO!!

Votes: 29 96.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

msjones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
So heres my situation.....

Somebody has just offered me a swap for my SR MacBook (see sig). They want to swap a PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHZ, 8GB RAM, 160GB HDD excellent condition with a 19" Apple LCD.

Do i do it??!

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
if portability is any bit at all important or useful to you, i wouldn't trade for a g5. plus, i actually think your macbook is faster than that dual g5. further, apps are becoming more and more intel only, and you'd only be hurting yourself in the future with this trade. keep the macbook. if you're serious about getting a tower, save up and buy a mac pro.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
Nope. While the PowerMac is still a great machine - if you're already on the new Intel architecture, there really isn't any point on going back the G5.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
No way. Don't take a step back! G5's are dead. And the resale value goes down by the minute. I wouldn't trade a top of the line new MacBook for an old obsolete G5 tower. There's just no way.

Don't do it, no matter how sweet a tower and display would be, it's just too old. If you're dying for a Mac Pro, I'd at least eBay the MacBook and put it towards a new Mac Pro.

OZMP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2008
i used to own a dual 2ghz g5 before my macpro, and i now own a macbook aswell... performance is prettymuch the same, if you NEED a tower, get a 1st gen macpro from ebay, or save up and get a MBP :p

cheers,

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Meh, wait for the mini update if you want a desktop with equal computing power as your current rig :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.