Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rupesh.sloane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2022
Some years ago I stored some officials documents on an external western digital hard drive, I also thought it was cool to decrypt them.
The operating system was snow leopard, and most of the the files are (.jpegENX)

Of course I no longer own a Mac, and I need some of these files to fill in the information for the government.

I’m currently using my wife’s old PC using windows 7.

Please please please. Help.

tallPete

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2014
Type jpegenx into Google. I did. It appears you can download software for Windows that will decrypt them. You may have to pay for the software, but it sounds like you need them so probably worth it.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Could use VM software. I use Oracle VM VirtualBox on a windows 10 machine, it has Tiger, Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion, El Capitan and Sierra on it. It is able to detect external HDD's plugged into it and recognise Apple files on the hard drive. Therefore I am assuming it should work for you. Install Orcale VirtualBox, create a VM of Snow Leopard, connect the HDD as an external drive and unencrpyt the files.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Question to the site: was there anything in Snow Leopard that created encrypted jpeg? Don't seem to recall that ever being an option then or now.

If never an option, might be easiest to just get the Eris software to decrypt those. But if the drive is Mac formatted (aka HFS+), will need to do what @laptech suggests, or, download Paragon to mount on Windows (or something similar).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.