Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevlar397

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2018
PNW
I have been working on a solution to not lose my 32 bit apps. To this day I'm running 10.3.3 on my iPhone 6s. What I have decided to do is buy a iPhone 5s and keep it as much dedicated 32 bit app phone and upgrade the 6s to 12.1.2. I have found a couple good refurbished 5s on eBay, but one seller can't tell me the OS prior to shipment and the other seller said theirs is running 11.4. With so much time having passed since iOS 11 came out I have a feeling all refurbished phones will be running some version of it. If that is the case is there any way for me to downgrade the phone to 10.3.3? I have a backup made of my 6s, but as it is the 128GB version simply installing the backup isn't possible. Is there a way for me to get a new version of 10.3.3 or can I create a small version of my backup? I'm looking to buy the the 16GB model of the 5s. I only need it to store the 32 bit apps I own so I won't be filling it up with photos, music, or movies.

I've run across some apps like iBackup Extractor and iPhone Backup Extractor, but haven't yet been able to determine if they can help.

Does anyone here know how to pull this off?

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
No, there is no way to downgrade an iPhone back to iOS 10.3.3 from iOS 11 or 12. Your best bet is to get an iPhone 5 or 5c to use for your 32 bit apps as they have a 32 bit processor and they can’t be updated past iOS 10.3.3.

kevlar397

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2018
PNW
No, there is no way to downgrade an iPhone back to iOS 10.3.3 from iOS 11 or 12. Your best bet is to get an iPhone 5 or 5c to use for your 32 bit apps as they have a 32 bit processor and they can’t be updated past iOS 10.3.3.

Thanks for the answer! I've already tracked down an iPhone 5 in good condition. I really appreciate your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.