Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'm getting sick of buying batteries for my MM...When I'm working even the most expensive ones only last about 3 days.

I have battery Chargers for my camera kit, and a bunch of 2000MA NMH batteries, but these only output 1.2V . The MM really needs the full 1.5, but nowhere on the Apple Store does it specify what voltage the supplied (6) batteries are that come with the charger.

Is it worth the £25.00 or are they just 1.2v also?

Last edited:

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
As they are basically Sanyo Eneloops they should be 1.2V, I would not expect them to be 1.5V.

I've been running my mighty and magic mouse off 1.2V rechargeable (mainly Sanyo Eneloops) for a long time now, with no issues and long runtimes.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
In That Case

As they are basically Sanyo Eneloops they should be 1.2V, I would not expect them to be 1.5V.

I've been running my mighty and magic mouse off 1.2V rechargeable (mainly Sanyo Eneloops) for a long time now, with no issues and long runtimes.

I guess my 2000MA's are on the way out....I'll buy a pack of enloops, already got the charger. When you say long runtimes....What should I expect? (My work is in video creation and my MM is in pretty much constant precision use)

----------

For £11.49 from Amazon....Even if they don't run my MM, they will run my two compact cameras!

Heavertron

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2011
UK
I guess my 2000MA's are on the way out....I'll buy a pack of enloops, already got the charger. When you say long runtimes....What should I expect? (My work is in video creation and my MM is in pretty much constant precision use)

----------

For £11.49 from Amazon....Even if they don't run my MM, they will run my two compact cameras!

Take care they are not fake Eneloops if you get them from Amazon marketplace. The real Eneloops are low self discharge, so hold 85% charge even if stored for a year.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
I'm actually sad enough that I have my batteries labelled and record when they are recharged, by how much (mAh) and voltage. :cool:

Under heavy use I get somewhere around 2 to 3 weeks (average is around 19 days between recharges) out of them.
Thats with probably averaging around 15 hours of use every day.

With more casual use it can get close to 3 months.

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Just about every AA NiMH (or NiCd) cell you're going to find will be 1.2V although there are some batteries in the AA form-factor which are Li-ion based but those are 3.6v. AFAIK, the only 1.5v cells are either lithium or alkaline based and non-rechargable.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Would You Like A Job?

I'm actually sad enough that I have my batteries labelled and record when they are recharged, by how much (mAh) and voltage. :cool:

Under heavy use I get somewhere around 2 to 3 weeks (average is around 19 days between recharges) out of them.
Thats with probably averaging around 15 hours of use every day.

With more casual use it can get close to 3 months.

With 6 cameras, all using different batteries and on different maintainence routines, I waste a fortune buying new ones due to lack of care. I guess a simple spreadsheet would do the trick, but I'd probably forget to update it.

The batteries I am buying are genuine Sanyo Enloops (2000MA) a pack of 6 for £11.49.... Hope they work in my Mouse, but even if they won't, I have 2 compact high res. cameras that will use them. Might have to think about a cabled mouse as much as I hate them.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
Hope they work in my Mouse
They will work fine in the mouse with one exception, the battery meter likely won't be correct and will show them as being at around 75% when they are fully charged. Though I've never really taken much notice of the battery meter, as I just swap the batteries when they run out.

Heavertron

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2011
UK
With 6 cameras, all using different batteries and on different maintainence routines, I waste a fortune buying new ones due to lack of care. I guess a simple spreadsheet would do the trick, but I'd probably forget to update it.

The batteries I am buying are genuine Sanyo Enloops (2000MA) a pack of 6 for £11.49.... Hope they work in my Mouse, but even if they won't, I have 2 compact high res. cameras that will use them. Might have to think about a cabled mouse as much as I hate them.

They will work fine. Alkaline (non-rechargeable) AA batteries rarely deliver 1.5v each anyway, as the voltage sags under load and decreases rapidly as the cell discharges. Almost all appliances will work great with ni-mh cells that although have a lower nominal voltage, don't sag so much when loaded.

That price is very good for Eneloops, good luck!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks

They will work fine. Alkaline (non-rechargeable) AA batteries rarely deliver 1.5v each anyway, as the voltage sags under load and decreases rapidly as the cell discharges. Almost all appliances will work great with ni-mh cells that although have a lower nominal voltage, don't sag so much when loaded.

That price is very good for Eneloops, good luck!

For the replies, I don't actually care if the battery meter works or not, just as long as the cells do!:)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Jessica

I looked at those, butI have a dislike of anything that sucks power from a USB port. Old fashioned I know, but I would also need 2 battery packs or I guess another MM.

I will keep it in mind if the rechargeable option doesn't work out for me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.