Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emrtr4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
I am planning on buying a Macpro with multiple hardrives. I have asked this question before but I did not phrase my question well.

Is it possible (since you can have multiple hardrives in the Macpro, not in Raid) to have two hardrives, one ONLY running OSX, and one ONLY running windows?

For instance if I bought a Macpro with a 250 gig hardrive and a 750gig hardrive how would I go about making the first hardrive only boot Windows and that the second would only boot OSX?

Thanks

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I am planning on buying a Macpro with multiple hardrives. I have asked this question before but I did not phrase my question well.

Is it possible (since you can have multiple hardrives in the Macpro, not in Raid) to have two hardrives, one ONLY running OSX, and one ONLY running windows?

For instance if I bought a Macpro with a 250 gig hardrive and a 750gig hardrive how would I go about making the first hardrive only boot Windows and that the second would only boot OSX?

Thanks

Assuming that OS X comes preinstalled on the 250 gig drive but that you want it on the 750 gig drive you'd want to follow the following instructions:

1. Boot from the OS X install/restore disk that comes with your Mac Pro.
2. Use the disk manager to format all the drives.
3. Choose to install OS X on the 750GB drive.
4. Wait for the installation to complete and restart into OS X.
5. Download BootCamp and burn the driver disk (don't do the repartitioning part of the Boot Camp install though)
6. Pop in your Windows XP SP2 disk and restart the computer, booting from the CD (hold Option at startup btw to choose what you want to boot)
7. During the XP install choose the 250GB drive as your install target.
8. Wait forever while XP installs.
9. Watch XP restart and then wait some more while it finishes installing.
10. Go watch a film while its *still* installing.
11. Once at the Windows desktop, eject the Windows disk and pop in the Boot Camp driver disk you burnt earlier.
12. Install all of the drivers and restart.
13. Now to boot up in OS X you can either go to the Startup Disk icon in the Control Panel and choose OS X as your startup disk, or you can hold Option during boot to choose OS X. The same goes for wanting to boot Windows if in OS X, except that the Startup Disk panel is obviously in your system preferences.

One word of warning though, the bluetooth keyboard doesn't usually work for startup key commands if you decided to go for the wireless option so you might want a regular wired keyboard to get it set up and then use the startup disk control panel/system preferences method to choose which OS you want. You can create an icon on the desktop in Windows linking to the Startup Disk control panel which makes life a bit easier.

I hope that helps!! :)

Spanky

Emrtr4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Thanks so much, you just made my day (I have been searching this for hours).

Emrtr4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
What if I have FinalCut HD preinstalled?

If I have final cut ex preinstalled (it will be installed on the origional OSX hardrive, the 250 gig) and I reformat the drives to uninstall OSX from the first drive how would I transfer it to the second hardrive?

Is there a recovery CD that comes with Final Cut when you get it preinstalled?

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
If I have final cut ex preinstalled (it will be installed on the origional OSX hardrive, the 250 gig) and I reformat the drives to uninstall OSX from the first drive how would I transfer it to the second hardrive?

Is there a recovery CD that comes with Final Cut when you get it preinstalled?

I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure you'll get the install disks for Final Cut along with everything else. It would be daft if they didn't do so!! Just reinstall Final Cut after installing OS X again. :) Glad I could help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.