Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tryinlanister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2019
I havn't got enough cash yet to get my new Mac, but I'm bored of Ubuntu and don't do not want to go back to windows.... What I really want is an operating system as close to Mac OS as possible, this is proberly some sort of distro of linux, any ideas?
check free netflix cookies 2019

Last edited:

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
Bored of Ubuntu in what way?
How it looks? Keep using Ubuntu and install another desktop environment.
How it works under the hood? Try another distribution.

If you like the settings-tweaking aspect of using a Linux distribution you can adapt the look-and-feel of several desktop environments to more closely mimic (various versions of) macOS.

Ultimately, though, I find that adapting to the system you're using tends to cause less frustration over time than trying to adapt the system as close as possible to you. This includes the various distros with thinner or thicker macOS-like skins, which almost invariably really are just themes for Gnome et al.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I havn't got enough cash yet to get my new Mac, but I'm bored of Ubuntu and don't do not want to go back to windows.... What I really want is an operating system as close to Mac OS as possible, this is proberly some sort of distro of linux, any ideas?

Try out ElementaryOS.
Or Manjaro Deepin.

Both look and feel great! But I simply don't get it, how do you get bored of OS that you can customize any way you want, with 1000 themes/icon packs available for free?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Definitely Elementary OS. Although it is a pale imitation. I just found it frustrating when I tried it. As I was so aware of what was missing.

If you are simply bored of Linux. You can try out a BSD distro. If you really want a challenge. You can try running Haiku the open source version of BeOS.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
elementaryOS is usually considered the most Mac-like from a GUI perspective. I know you said Linux, but FreeBSD would probably be the most Mac-like from a technical/historical perspective.

What do you find boring about Ubuntu?

Reactions: Mikael H

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
Hello,

facing the same problem.
The answers given still apply. :)

Apple has done a better job than most at hiding the Unixy aspects of macOS until you need them, and at unifying the look-and-feel of applications on their platform. Don’t expect anything free (as in beer) to be able to match that.

https://www.distrowatch.com/ is the place to look for inspiration. Unfortunately the stuff that’s closest to “just working” (Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint) inherently has a higher risk of becoming boring if you like tinkering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.