Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dupdob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
Hi
My son gave me this old IPad (after a reset). I reinstalled it from my older IPad.
Install went smoothly, most applications installed fine, but most of default applications refuse to install: Books, Mail, FreeFrom and others remain in 'to download' status, and any attempt to install them ends in a non descript error (failed to download, try again later).

I tried logging out App store and restart to see if it fixed it but no dice.

If anyone has any idea on how to fix this please share.
(Of course, I can still perform an install for a 'new' IPad, but it means bringing over a lot of stuff manually)

dupdob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
update: same issue when doing a fresh install (i.e. without restoring any backup): default applications fail to install

dupdob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
update: (kinda) fixed the problem by doing a fresh install via a Mac. I did not try to restore an existing backup as it looks the problem comes from some garbage data in the settings

dupdob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
Many thanks for the pointer and info.
Definitely looks like this was the problem. Yep, I can update and will. But I have fixed it meanwhile:
I was able to work around it by doing a full reinstall via a Mac: this ensures a complete installation from scratch, vs the OTA reinstall, which is incremental: OS first and apps second.

The good news is that it is not due to my iCloud account being somehow corrupted, which would probably be an hassle to fix/restore

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.