Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
The last few episodes haven’t been as exciting as the first three

I actually thought the most recent one was really, really good. Though perhaps it's because the previous 2 were a slight dip and I'm finding it hard to compare properly to episodes 1/2/3?

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
Mmmmm, so far so good as a story.
Has anyone noticed that when the father is giving testimony - about his son and/or his wife, it's referred to in the past tense ? These testimony scenes take place at a later point in the story.
To, me it's implying that perhaps the son is no longer alive. But I could be mistaken.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I’ll be let down if the random dude in the car that we know nothing about has anything to do with the murder. Hopefully he was just a hired PI or something.

I’m curious how the present day hearing ties into what happened years ago. I get the feeling that the kid did it and Andy is gonna cover something up and frame Leonard or someone.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The show is based on a book. Assuming they are going with a faithful adaptation, you can pretty much get the gist of the entire plot by reading the Wikipedia entry.

Reactions: gymratjudy

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
Has anyone noticed that when the father is giving testimony - about his son and/or his wife, it's referred to in the past tense ? These testimony scenes take place at a later point in the story.
To, me it's implying that perhaps the son is no longer alive. But I could be mistaken.
Don’t know about the last part but agree the testimony scenes with father / grand jury are definitely from a later date. I don’t see an indication / hint yet that means Jacob might now be dead, but it’s possible...

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014

Yes ! I’ve been telling the mrs that Andy looks like he’s been through hell. He got the baggy eyes and is wearing all black. Very mourning like.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
Yes ! I’ve been telling the mrs that Andy looks like he’s been through hell. He got the baggy eyes and is wearing all black. Very mourning like.

I just watched episode 6, and agree even more in this one than the last, Andy's testimonies in the grand jury seem to be setting up for something to have happened to Jacob... "Then we hit the iceberg"... Looking forward to the last 2 episodes.

Ch:LL

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2020
I just watched episode 6, and agree even more in this one than the last, Andy's testimonies in the grand jury seem to be setting up for something to have happened to Jacob... "Then we hit the iceberg"... Looking forward to the last 2 episodes.
Do you know what time the next episode drops? I can’t find the time anywhere.

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
Working from home has its advantages. Me and the Mrs. waited until 1 when the new episode came out. Even watching the end I still have questions.

I don’t think Patz did it. I wonder if the muscle man(guy in the Lincoln) is forcing his hand to admit to something he didn’t do. Jacob either did it or was def. in the park that day and saw everything and is covering for someone.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
I don’t think Patz did it. I wonder if the muscle man(guy in the Lincoln) is forcing his hand to admit to something he didn’t do. Jacob either did it or was def. in the park that day and saw everything and is covering for someone.

Wow what an episode. As parent to two young kids, could really connect with Andy and Laurie here. Putting myself in their shoes was frightening, and thought this was a very powerful episode.

Plot-wise, so I’m guessing they’re setting up for Patz to kill himself now? Your point about maybe Patz being forced to admit to do something is possible (and we’ve all been conditioned to assume shoes will throw viewers off before plot twists / turns). I also don’t buy necessarily what Mr. Blue Lincoln would want to be intimidating the Barbers for... Seems odd someone would hire him to do that to the Barbers during the trial...

Looking forward to the season finale next week.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Wow. What a tense episode. And I heard the next one will be the last. ?

I have no idea at all how the grand jury scene related to the trial. Something might happen to Jacob?
but I’m still convinced it‘s Jacob or him covering for Sarah.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Wow. What a tense episode. And I heard the next one will be the last. ?

I have no idea at all how the grand jury scene related to the trial. Something might happen to Jacob?
but I’m still convinced it‘s Jacob or him covering for Sarah.

I’m also still unsure on the grand jury thing.

One thought I had last night is, what if Andy attacked Joanna because she knew from episode 1 that Patz did it and therefore Jacob couldn’t have.

Reactions: matrix07

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
The big dude in the Lincoln still has to wrap his story up. If Leonard did it, it would be such a horrible ending that I’m sure it wasn’t him.

Starting to think Derek and Sarah know more. Not sure what’s gonna happen with the kid that fled to Florida. Possibly nothing. And there has to be more that we’re gonna learn about Jacob’s knowledge.

Episode 7 picked the show up nicely after 4-6 let the air out. Hopefully the finale delivers.

If I were to guess, I think Leonard kills himself and leaves the suicide note where he falsely admits to killing Ben. Jacob gets off and then Andy learns what really happened which is that Jacob knew exactly what happened and killed Ben or knows who killed Ben. My guess is Sarah. Jacob later dies and the truth eventually is made public. Then Andy gets questioned about covering it up sometime in the future. I hope it’s not that predictable though. I know it’s based on a book and the ending is probably known but I’m gonna avoid spoilers.

Last edited:
Reactions: nicho

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Wife and I started binging on this yesterday... decent story line... like most, it drags at times, but overall it's watchable. We are up to episode 5, and will get caught up today.

The grand jury thing is puzzling - what happened that it is happening now, after the fact? Still many questions... and the DA told Andy at the beginning that if he refused to talk the "whole thing" would go away... what "whole thing"?

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I have one more guess.
Leonard killed Ben in defense of Jacob. “Defending Jacob”

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The ending was a bit “meh” for me. Anyone else?
While I understand how you were let down (in contrast to episode 7, this one was far more muted), I thought the episode was pretty realistic given all the stress Barbers have gone through.

My main quibble with this episode is the insignificance of indictment hearing. To me, it only served as a spoiler.

Laurie has obviously suffered the most, going from having doubts to believing her son to be the killer. Michelle Dockery truly surprised me with her performance.

Andy saw the world as black and white -- his father evil, his son good. But the grayness of reality paralyzed his belief -- unable to work and turning to alcohol for comfort.

Jacob remains an enigma. He has a lot of issues and expresses them without remorse nor care in his writings. But it's one thing to fantasize, one thing to act on them. The series and Jaeden Martell did great jobs containing the mystery, but I for one thinks he's not the killer.

All in all, fantastic performances all around. While a bit slow at times, I was very invested in the character and the outcome.

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
While I understand how you were let down (in contrast to episode 7, this one was far more muted), I thought the episode was pretty realistic given all the stress Barbers have gone through.

My main quibble with this episode is the insignificance of indictment hearing. To me, it only served as a spoiler.

Laurie has obviously suffered the most, going from having doubts to believing her son to be the killer. Michelle Dockery truly surprised me with her performance.

Andy saw the world as black and white -- his father evil, his son good. But the grayness of reality paralyzed his belief -- unable to work and turning to alcohol for comfort.

Jacob remains an enigma. He has a lot of issues and expresses them without remorse nor care in his writings. But it's one thing to fantasize, one thing to act on them. The series and Jaeden Martell did great jobs containing the mystery, but I for one thinks he's not the killer.

All in all, fantastic performances all around. While a bit slow at times, I was very invested in the character and the outcome.
I enjoyed the car crash part - I was completely shocked by it & it added suspense to the whole story - I thought they were both dead. The ending let me down. I would’ve liked to know who killed that kid. Apparently the book ending is completely different to this. There was too many questions at the end of it, which annoyed me.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I enjoyed the car crash part - I was completely shocked by it & it added suspense to the whole story - I thought they were both dead. The ending let me down. I would’ve liked to know who killed that kid. Apparently the book ending is completely different to this. There was too many questions at the end of it, which annoyed me.
Car crash also serves as the framework for imagining what might happen when
Jacob wakes up. Assuming his memory is intact, he knows his mother did not trust him and tried to kill him.

I think it's safe to assume that family will be forever destroyed. If Jacob did not kill Ben, and I am increasingly convinced that he didn't (
Hope Connors is alive in contrast to the book and his "confession" in the car, which was a great acting BTW, suggest his innocence
), he will never trust his mother again. This will cause further deteriotation in the family relatioship. Andy turning into alcohol and losing convicting in the legal system indicate he will likely become "Saul Goodman" at best, some blue collar job at the worst.

Another question is, if Jacob didn't kill Ben, then who did? Not getting more definite answer to this question is somewhat frustrating. I am reasonably sure it's not Patz. Derek has motives but strong alibis. Sarah?

Reactions: Christopher Kim

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
Car crash also serves as the framework for imagining what might happen when
Jacob wakes up. Assuming his memory is intact, he knows his mother did not trust him and tried to kill him.

I think it's safe to assume that family will be forever destroyed. If Jacob did not kill Ben, and I am increasingly convinced that he didn't (
Hope Connors is alive in contrast to the book and his "confession" in the car, which was a great acting BTW, suggest his innocence
), he will never trust his mother again. This will cause further deteriotation in the family relatioship. Andy turning into alcohol and losing convicting in the legal system indicate he will likely become "Saul Goodman" at best, some blue collar job at the worst.

Another question is, if Jacob didn't kill Ben, then who did? Not getting more definite answer to this question is somewhat frustrating. I am reasonably sure it's not Patz. Derek has motives but strong alibis. Sarah?
Wasn’t this a limited series?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Wasn’t this a limited series?
Yeah, it's a miniseries adopted from a non-serial book. So no sequel, no second season. We can only use our imagination to speculate and finish the story. Unlike the book, the final episode offers enough breadcrumbs to let us complete the picture.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
Just watched the finale, and personally quite enjoyed it. A few thoughts:

- Real heartbreaking turn with the car crash and Laurie. Thought the acting was really well done throughout - could really imagine how things unfolding the way they did effected Laurie in that way, could lead her to the point of trying to kill herself and Jacob to keep Jacob from potentially killing anyone again.

From: 1) the trial (and especially the written "story" / "confession"), and her suspicions on whether he did it; 2) feeling the weight of it lift as Jacob's "innocence" is proven, with her own guilt over doubting her "innocent" son; 3) another flip-flop when Andy tells Laurie the truth about Patz and (at least while Hope was missing), a renewed and strengthened suspicion that Jacob might have done it and be a serial killer...

- I understand that one of the differences between the book and series is that in the book, Hope is found murdered, which leads audience to think more likely that Jacob did it. I like that in the series, she's found alive, leaves a bit more uncertainty...

Looks like from interviews with writer/creator, no plans to do a second season (as others have mentioned)... “It would have to spring from some idea that hasn’t occurred to me yet that would really feel as compelling as I hope this season has,” he said. “I wouldn’t extend it to another season just to simply spend more time with these characters. I would rather leave that to your imagination. If I have a new narrative that took this as a starting point, I’d be happy to explore it. But it wasn’t written with that intention, and it’s not really something I’m actively working on right now."

Would be great if they did a 2nd season (and the way the series ended could definitely lead to one), but at same time, I respect if creators want to leave a story like this and left to our imagination if that was the intention and vision.

Reactions: nutmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.