Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applehappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
I have seen another post on this but it was not getting anywhere. Please chime in if you are experiencing speaker problems.

No, mine is not obstructed, or muted...and the volume is all the way up. EVERYTHING, including ringtones, is barely audible.

Any suggestions? Thanks...

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2002
I have seen another post on this but it was not getting anywhere. Please chime in if you are experiencing speaker problems.

No, mine is not obstructed, or muted...and the volume is all the way up. EVERYTHING, including ringtones, is barely audible.

Any suggestions? Thanks...

Suggestions:

1. Post only once.

2. Take it back for a replacement. (hopefully you got it at an Apple Store. The AT&T stores will probably make you send it in or something. Apple Stores will most likely just swap it for a new one.)

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
How many speakers does this phone have?

My iPhone has two "grills" on the bottom on either side of the plug recepticle, however sound only comes out of the left side. If I accidently hold my finger over the left side, the sound is reduced markedly. If I cover the right, no difference. I'm wondering if this is standard or if the right side is also supposed to output sound?

TIA:confused:

jstennis1591

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
My iPhone has two "grills" on the bottom on either side of the plug recepticle, however sound only comes out of the left side. If I accidently hold my finger over the left side, the sound is reduced markedly. If I cover the right, no difference. I'm wondering if this is standard or if the right side is also supposed to output sound?

TIA:confused:

Only one is a speaker.......the other one is a mic

this was in the guided tour video, and has been discussed on these forums

applehappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
First, sorry for the multiple posts. Forums went down for Maint as I submitted.

Nothing covering the speaker. Even with the ringer on max, I have to put it right to my ear to hear anything. I have an appt at the genius bar at the honolulu Apple store today.

FYI you don't get repair service at ATT. Only Apple Care.

Thanks all. Love this iPhone!

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
Wow. so many people are having these issues. Mine is LOUD and is perfect.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
if I'm in a noisy room or my car with music playing or the windows are down, I can't hear anything. Not loud at all for me. Speakerphone is almost useless too. I'm gonna go to my local apple store on Monday to see and hear other iphones to compare mine. I hope mine is defective and they replace it, but I fear the mine will work just like the others, with a weak speaker.

If it wasn't for the vibrate feature, I'd miss slot of calls.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
i am kinda having a similiar problem. The speaker on the bottom is plenty loud enough for the ringer/ipod, but it is barely hearable when using a call. When on a call the speaker that is at your ear is loud and clear, so what gives? Anyone else experiencing something similiar?

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
Only one is a speaker.......the other one is a mic

this was in the guided tour video, and has been discussed on these forums

I took the video tour, but I don't recall this specifically being mentioned (i.e., right vs. left). Not to sound too defensive, but it doesn't help to have five different threads on the same subject. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.