Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Had to ask about Degoo cloud storage after seeing they have a $99 10TB lifetime deal going at the moment... yes! One payment of $99 for 10TB cloud storage!!

Having read up about them they seem like a new player with limited desktop software, much better iOS app but that 10TB is the main draw card - and really it seems like they’re only a software upgrade away from being an awesome service.

Does anyone use them?

Would anyone recommend alternatives?

The lifetime plan is very appealing to me. Here is the link to the 10TB for $99 deal if anyone is interested: https://shop.mashable.com/sales/deg...-premium-lifetime-backup-plans-10tb&scsonar=1

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Had to ask about Degoo cloud storage after seeing they have a $99 10TB lifetime deal going at the moment

The techradar review doesn't seem to be that great:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/degoo

Where this service is weak when compared to the likes of CloudBerry or Backblaze is that the backup mode desktop utility for Windows PC and Apple Mac is remarkably primitive.

You can initiate a manual backup, or you can wait 24 hours, and it will sync again if the computer is on, but that’s not a very friendly means to secure important data.

You also can’t get back that data without installing the desktop app, as there is no web interface to the files you have secured online.

This service’s lack of a proper web interface, and fully-featured desktop applications, are major hindrances,

... it is much more memory and processor intensive, and this could impact on the usability of the computer while a backup is running.

The other major question is are there upload/download bandwidth limitations? A full 10 TB upload takes months on many other services. I am currently testing restoring a 60 GB movie file on Backblaze (the fastest service I use), and after 45 minutes they are still preparing the restore. No idea how long the actual download will take.

I'd try a test account and see how well you like it.

Update: After the restore was finally made available the download was really fast, up to 202 MB/s using the Backblaze Downloader app.

Last edited:
Reactions: cb911

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Lifetime? Yeah right.

They must have a strategy to move you on to a regular subscription after a year or two. Not that that's a bad thing. If a company is safeguarding my data, I want them to stay solvent. I also want them to have something to lose (my monthly subscription) if they mess up.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Yeah cheers all.

After looking at different reviews and user comments it doesn't seem like such a good deal. Really poor upload speeds for a start...

dauber

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
I see this is nearly four years later, but I'll tell you from personal experience what will happen:

After using their service for a long time, they'll decided that some of your files that you've had in their cloud for a LONG TIME are in violation of their TOS. They'll e-mail you about it, name **some** of the files, and give you an opportunity to appeal with an explanation. Then they'll turn around and 1) decline your appeal, and 2) TERMINATE THE ACCOUNT YOU PAID FOR.

Found out I'm by far not the only one.

I have a feeling Degoo will have a class action lawsuit on their hands.

Glynne

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2023
Had to ask about Degoo cloud storage after seeing they have a $99 10TB lifetime deal going at the moment... yes! One payment of $99 for 10TB cloud storage!!

Having read up about them they seem like a new player with limited desktop software, much better iOS app but that 10TB is the main draw card - and really it seems like they’re only a software upgrade away from being an awesome service.

Does anyone use them?

Would anyone recommend alternatives?

The lifetime plan is very appealing to me. Here is the link to the 10TB for $99 deal if anyone is interested: https://shop.mashable.com/sales/deg...-premium-lifetime-backup-plans-10tb&scsonar=1
As of May 2023 Degoo are STILL carrying out the same shady business practices as before. They hide behind a 'bot' who claims you have been uploading and sharing content that you do not own. I first encountered this 'bot' in 2021 when it accused me of this so I uploaded proof which Degoo accepted. However in 2023 I received a message from Degoo claiming the exact same thing with the same content. I replied to explain this to them and this time they claimed my 'appeal' was rejected.

I replied again with additional evidence and explained to them what will happen if they delete my account. They said "Unfortunately, uploading copyrighted materials, even legally purchased ones, is not allowed". This information is going to be used against them because if it is legal to have the files on your computer it is also legal to have a backup of those files. It also does not infringe their own terms and conditions. They may claim it infringes 7.4 but in fact it doesn't since no laws are being broken. Of course if you're sharing copyrighted content it would be a different story.

I will not stand for companies trying to accuse their customers of breach of contract as a way to get out of providing lifetime services.

Here's the longer story..

I paid a one-off fee for a lifetime 10TB Degoo Ultimate subscription and that is exactly what I'm going to get from them unless they want to see the consequences of their actions.

Ironically they do provide the service they claim to provide in that you can upload your content to their site for backup purposes. What you need to watch out for is their company trying to renege on the service you paid for under false pretences. Be sure to do your research and hold their owners to account.

On 17th May 2023 Degoo changed tack and no longer referred to sharing content after I proved that I could not be possibly sharing anything from there.

On 17th May 2023 'Gerry' at Degoo said "Hello, Unfortunately, uploading copyrighted materials, even legally purchased ones, is not allowed. Deleting flagged files after they were found by the copyright bot is not a valid reason to approve an appeal or cancel file deletion. The account is unlocked and any active subscriptions are reinstated. Unfortunately, your files are no longer recoverable. Sincerely, Gerry, Degoo Support"

The problem with Gerry's message is that there is no law against making a backup of your content regardless of whether it is copyrighted (if it's legal on your computer then it's legal in backup form elsewhere). There are of course laws against sharing copyrighted content but my lifetime account with Degoo came with sharing disabled. In the absence of laws the question of whether backing up copyrighted content where the customer has paid for the content comes down to the terms of service. Degoo's terms of service as of 16th May 2023 do not mention the backing up of content which the customer has paid for.

Unfortunately for Degoo I will not let this matter rest until I receive a formal apology from one of their key players for actively trying to close lifetime accounts under false pretences. I shall update this review if I receive such an apology.

In the meantime I have reported the matter to various authorities governing companies such as this in Sweden starting with The Swedish Consumer Agency who have opened a case for the matter. I strongly advise other victims to do the same to stop Degoo doing the same with others. Keep records of your communications with Degoo as evidence.

Attachments

• 2023 Violation.png
    2023 Violation.png
    143.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 2023 Appeal Declined.png
    2023 Appeal Declined.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 2023 Appeal Declined 2.png
    2023 Appeal Declined 2.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 54

Glynne

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2023
Wow that’s crazy - they absolutely should not be allowed to get away with that! I hope you have some success.
I know and thanks. I've traced back my order to Stackcommerce and informed them what Degoo are doing so hopefully they will take action since they are acting as an agent/shop front selling Degoo services. It's fraud.

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
I know and thanks. I've traced back my order to Stackcommerce and informed them what Degoo are doing so hopefully they will take action since they are acting as an agent/shop front selling Degoo services. It's fraud.
Good luck in your pursuit, I am fully supportive of the rights and principles.
But even if you win and get an apology and reinstated would you trust them for any future service and your data?

Glynne

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2023
Good luck in your pursuit, I am fully supportive of the rights and principles.
But even if you win and get an apology and reinstated would you trust them for any future service and your data?
Thanks. That's a good point. I could never trust them again regardless of what they do. The best that I can do is change how I back my files up so they can't use them at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.