Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BostonQuad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
As I explain in another thread, my phone's FaceID doesn't work in sunshine.
A senior Apple support person suspects it's because my battery's health in 76%.

Can battery degradation affect whether features work? Does this sound likely?
I always thought battery degradation was only about having less battery life.
Has anyone experienced features not working due to battery degradation?

FWIW, my phone is a 13 mini, so the battery capacity is less than other phones to begin with. If degradation-affecting-features is a thing, I suppose it might take less degradation on a mini than on phones with more battery capacity.

(And lest anyone asks, there's no screen protector, the screen is clear, I tried an alternate appearance, I set up an appearance indoors and outdoors, I tried with and without glasses, and I tried at all angles relative to the sun.)

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
As I explain in another thread, my phone's FaceID doesn't work in sunshine.

Can battery degradation affect whether features work? Does this sound likely?
I always thought battery degradation was only about having less battery life.
Has anyone experienced features not working due to battery degradation?

FWIW, my phone is a 13 mini, so the battery capacity is less than other phones to begin with. If degradation-affecting-features is a thing, I suppose it might take less degradation on a mini than on phones with more battery capacity.

(And lest anyone asks, there's no screen protector, the screen is clear, I tried an alternate appearance, I set up an appearance indoors and outdoors, I tried with and without glasses, and I tried at all angles relative to the sun.)
Are you saying FaceID works fine and only in direct sunshine it doesn't work well? I'd say the battery very well may need replacement but I doubt it has anything to do with whether or not a feature works. I can say from personal experience that depending on how the sun is hitting the FaceID sensors it may not register in a way that would unlock the phone. I experienced the same issue on my iPhone X. I now have a 15PM and haven't had any issues unlocking in direct sunlight so not sure if the hardware has been improved over the years

BostonQuad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
Are you saying FaceID works fine and only in direct sunshine it doesn't work well?
Yes.

I experienced the same issue on my iPhone X. I now have a 15PM and haven't had any issues unlocking in direct sunlight so not sure if the hardware has been improved over the years
I have an iPad Pro that's older than my phone which works fine outdoors. I tested them side-by-side and couldn't get my iPad Pro to fail, and couldn't get my iPhone to work.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Apple tech support is known for giving head scratching explanations to problems that don’t really make too much sense. I wouldn’t consider it the word from god.
They’d rather give any possible explanation than say “I have no idea.”

Reactions: BostonQuad

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Aged batteries cannot provide sufficient peak power. That's why you hear of unexpected shutdowns when the battery is old.

Apple agent is probably thinking of shutdowns when people use the rear camera. That sensor draws much more power than TrueDepth in the front.

In short, battery health won't affect Face ID.

Reactions: BostonQuad
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.