Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will0827

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
I hurried to install the el capitan beta and didn't create a seperate partition to install it, despite the bugs was fine using it. Some software i use for work ended up not working as expected so i have to go back to yosemite, i create a partition and installed yosemite, only wondering if it it would be possible to delete the el capitan installation but keep the files from it and move them to my Yosemite installation. The files i want to keep are larger then the yosemite partition so i can't just copy them. Also don't have an external drive to temporarily hold the files which i would have done. Thanks MR family.

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
External drives are very cheap and from the sound of it you don't seem to have a backup drive. Do your future self a service and get an external drive of some sort that is at the very least 1.5x your computer's drive. If you ever happen to lose data from your main drive that backup drive will instantly pay itself back and then some.

Time Machine is quite handy backup tool. Just connect the backup drive and answer yes and forget it. Or then invest on some sort of network connected drive and you don't need to mess with cables.

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
What you could do is change the system version number back to 10.9.5 then reinstall Yosemite over top of El Capitan. I did this when I wanted to revert back to Mavericks from Yosemite.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.