Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onFIRE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
10+ years ago I created an iCloud email address when getting my first iPhone. At the time, I didn’t put much thought into my email address. Now I want a different one. Is it possible to delete my iCloud email address and create a new one? From all my research, it seems like I would have to delete my Apple account and create a new one, which I don’t want to do given all my purchases tied to this account.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
10+ years ago I created an iCloud email address when getting my first iPhone. At the time, I didn’t put much thought into my email address. Now I want a different one. Is it possible to delete my iCloud email address and create a new one? From all my research, it seems like I would have to delete my Apple account and create a new one, which I don’t want to do given all my purchases tied to this account.
You can create up to two additional iCloud email addresses under your main one. You can then choose to have your outgoing email messages sent from any of the three addresses (you can make this choice for every message you send) . Your original and currently only address which you no longer care for could then be used only as your Apple ID

onFIRE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
You can create up to two additional iCloud email addresses under your main one. You can then choose to have your outgoing email messages sent from any of the three addresses (you can make this choice for every message you send) . Your original and currently only address which you no longer care for could then be used only as your Apple ID
Ya, I saw that. I don’t want an email alias though. I want a new primary iCloud email account. I don’t even use the current one as my Apple ID. I use an @gmail.com email for my Apple ID.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Ya, I saw that. I don’t want an email alias though. I want a new primary iCloud email account. I don’t even use the current one as my Apple ID. I use an @gmail.com email for my Apple ID.
What is the main benefit and purpose of doing what you want to be able to do?

onFIRE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
What is the main benefit and purpose of doing what you want to be able to do?
My current @icloud.com email address has information in it that gives away my birthday. I also have a feeling that an email alias doesn’t offer everything the primary account email offers. It doesn’t look like I can even delete it. I’m basically stuck with it.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
My current @icloud.com email address has information in it that gives away my birthday. I also have a feeling that an email alias doesn’t offer everything the primary account email offers. It doesn’t look like I can even delete it. I’m basically stuck with it.
Well, if you are not using iCloud email as your email service, who will see your address which includes your birthdate? If you use iCloud as your primary email service, stop doing so and switch to another provider such as ProtonMail, Gmail etc.

onFIRE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Well, if you are not using iCloud email as your email service, who will see your address which includes your birthdate? If you use iCloud as your primary email service, stop doing so and switch to another provider such as ProtonMail, Gmail etc.
I’m not using my iCloud email now, but I’d like to given Apple’s strong stance on privacy.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I’m not using my iCloud email now, but I’d like to given Apple’s strong stance on privacy.
Do some research before making a decision. Some people find that iCloud email has its issues: being slow to receive messages; poor spam handling etc. Best of luck whichever approach you end up taking.

onFIRE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Thanks for the tip. Good to know. Even if I decided not to use it, it would be nice to delete it if I wanted to. It still pops up every now and then on someone else’s device for some reason which is annoying.

Cliantyeo

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
I really wish that Apple would allow an alias to be promoted to the main iCloud address, but sadly you can’t.

However, I’ve been using as alias as my main email address and works absolutely fine… you Just need to make sure the alias is the default email to send from and you wouldn’t know It’s not the main email address.
The only thing you couldn’t do was to use that alias to sign into iCloud, but believe you can actually do that now too.

in terms of security, I quite like that the ICloud (and my AppleID) is different to the email address I use as my alias (Keeping my actual iCloud id more private)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.