Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
Running Panther 10.3.9 - sometime back Apple Care instructed me to do something (don't recall what) that ended up creating a "Previous System" folder. That folder is now in my Trash file, but every time I try to delete it I get an error message about not having sufficient permissions. Not that big a deal, just curious.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
OldManJimbo said:
Running Panther 10.3.9 - sometime back Apple Care instructed me to do something (don't recall what) that ended up creating a "Previous System" folder. That folder is now in my Trash file, but every time I try to delete it I get an error message about not having sufficient permissions. Not that big a deal, just curious.
Have you restarted the computer, then tried to empty the trash.

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
Oh yes - this has been one of those issues that I've "lived with" for a long time and just now I decided to post it on the Forum. I've restarted many times. Thanks anyway.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Ok...

Have you tried the Secure Empty Trash? Or held the option button down while Emptying Trash to force it to empty without any warnings?

If not it's time to use Terminal, open up Terminal and give these commands [not the comments]:

cd .Trash [takes you into trash]
ls [lists the content, make sure that the Previous Systems folder is in there]
rm -r Previous\ System/ [try without super user strength first: removes the folder and it's content, if you get a permission denied or similar, try:]
sudo rm -r Previous\ System/ [then give admin password when prompted]

Just remember one error (from me or you) when using Terminal, and you could be in trouble... when you use sudo and rm be VERY sure you not have any extra spaces in there... the safest might be to type sudo rm -r Pr and then hit tab to let Terminal auto-complete for you, to avoid typos...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.