Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterPrint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2017
Does anyone know how to remove/delete an user account, because I have been creating a new one on my new MacBook Pro when I migrated from the old one, but now I can't remove the new account again. I have been trying everything, but I can't find a solution.

Please help!!

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
Does anyone know how to remove/delete an user account, because I have been creating a new one on my new MacBook Pro when I migrated from the old one, but now I can't remove the new account again. I have been trying everything, but I can't find a solution.

Please help!!

I'm having a similar issue.

For some reason guest account got turned on. I've turned it off now, it shows off on the account page, but i have two guest account buttons to press when my computer boots up.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
You can only delete a User's account from an admin account. Is your new User account admin? If not, then boot back into the admin account that was created and give your new account admin status.

PeterPrint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2017
You can only delete a User's account from an admin account. Is your new User account admin? If not, then boot back into the admin account that was created and give your new account admin status.
But the old account that I want to delete is a standard account and the account I'm deleting from is Admin, but still I can't delete the old account??

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Sorry, I deleted my posts. My concentration is not the best at the moment.

I also had this problem after messing up with my account settings. Even the root user wasn't able to delete it. Seems to be a bug.

Maybe editing the sudoers file could help. Here is an explanation what you can do in there:

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2...s-to-manage-sudo-rights-for-users-and-groups/

@PeterPrint

If you have not activated a root yet. You can try sudo su to get admin rights in the Terminal. Worked for me. Anyway sudo alone should work in Terminal for you as admin for any command.

Edit:

Maybe disabling SIP is necessary before, with booting to recovery and in Terminal typing

Code:
csrutil disable

My SIP had been disabled before so I am not sure.

Sorry again for editing my post that much. :oops:

Last edited:

PeterPrint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2017
@Erdbeertorte: Thnx a lot!
How do I activate a root?
And do I disable the SIP?
I haven't been trying this stuff before, so can anyone help me with a detailed instruction?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If there was a user account that I wanted to delete, that wouldn't delete, I'd do this:

1. Boot from an external drive
2. Select the internal drive, do a "Get Info" on it, and put a check into the box "ignore ownership on this volume".
3. Then just "go in with the finder" and delete the user folder in question.

Done.

PeterPrint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2017
Once again!

1. How do I root from an external drive?
2. How do I select the internal drive?

And is it very difficult so if I do something wrong I can destroy my new MacBook?
AsI said before I'm brand new in these matters, so I need a lots of help:)

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I'm assuming those with this problem are aware that you can't delete an account by dragging it to the trash in the Finder—only through the Users & Groups System Prefs panel.

Just thought I would check...

PeterPrint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2017
I'm assuming those with this problem are aware that you can't delete an account by dragging it to the trash in the Finder—only through the Users & Groups System Prefs panel.

Just thought I would check...
Thnx! Of course I've checking this, but my problem is, that i can't delete from the Users & Groups Prefs penal??

gsapienza

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2009
Thnx! Of course I've checking this, but my problem is, that i can't delete from the Users & Groups Prefs penal??

I just solved this last week. Seems to be a bug. This is what I did

• Set your new account as admin.
  • Open Directory Utility and delete the account there while authorized as the original account.
  • Delete the original account home directory in Finder.
  • Open Terminal and run these commands:
    • View admin group members: dscl . -read /groups/admin GroupMembership
    • Remove group member: sudo dscl . -delete /Groups/admin GroupMembership USER_ACCOUNT_NAME
    • Add new account member: sudo dscl . append /Groups/admin GroupMembership NEW_USER_ACCOUNT_NAME
  • Do the same for the staff group.

• You can list all users and groups with the following commands:
  • List all users: dscl . list /users
  • List all groups: dscl . list /groups

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"1. How do I root from an external drive?
2. How do I select the internal drive?"

Before you can boot from an external drive, you need to have an external drive that is bootable.

You can create one by using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to "clone" the contents of your internal drive to an external drive.
When booted, the external drive will look EXACTLY like the internal drive, because "it's a clone".
In fact, you may not even realize you're booted from the clone unless you check "about this Mac" (Apple menu) and see which drive is the boot drive.

Once you have an external drive that's bootable, you can do this:
1. Power down the computer, all the way off
2. Press the power-on button and IMMEDIATELY hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN until the startup manager appears.
3. You should see all the bootable volumes in the startup manager window (includes internal and external drives and the recovery partition)
4. Use the pointer to select which drive you wish to boot from and then hit return.
5. The Mac should boot from the selected drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.