Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MinorBidoh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
uk
hiya, now this is worth a little laugh from everyone. My girlfriend has just been playing around with my imac g5, commenting on how lovely it is etc. Found herself in iTunes and accidently deleted all the files from it. She says she did a apple-a-delete. Problem now is that my itunes files are gone. I do have them backed up on cd but this would take a while.

On a mac, is there anyway to backtrack and say load my computer from the settings it had last night or a couple of days ago when i did have my music files?

thanks, apoligies

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Before anything else, look in your trash. If you haven't emptied it, your songs are probably in there.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Unless you've done back ups on iDisk or something, I don't think there's any way of doing it. Maybe somebody more technical will have a better answer.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
hamish_holmes said:
She says she did a apple-a-delete.
WTF??? :confused: Sounds intentional. Time to write her a Dear John letter.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Not at my Mac right now and haven't deleted anything from iTunes recently, so I might be way off track, but if you are in iTunes and you delete something, do you not get a dialogue box asking if you want to delete the files themselves (as opposed to just removing them from the iTunes interface).

If she pressed no here, it is possible that the files are still on your computer - have a look around, and then it would just be a case of reimporting them.

MinorBidoh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
uk
deffinately not in the trash. and iDisk.... may have to look into that in the future. Ive done another search and no luck (i may have to let this woman go).

eventually riped my ipod 4th gen to itunes. yeah i know dangerous but it worked.

free girl available: loves to cook, great kisser et al, useless driver, really cant work macs. will post pics.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Ouch... if they're not in your Trash and you haven't backed them up, you're probably out of luck.

Do you have them on an iPod? There are ways to get them back from that (but don't plug it in to the blank one until you find out how!)

I'm amazed that she not only managed to agree to delete them from the iTunes library, and agreed to move them to the Trash and managed to empty the Trash. It's a 3 step process to delete music completely!

MinorBidoh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
uk
well she gave some tihsllub thing about how she like the noises and wanted to know if the the trash from ikea. she had her ipod plugged in and was trying to put my music onto hers with drag an drop with 20GB...

sigh..

lacie hard drives here i come.

Attachments

• 24-03-05.jpg
    24-03-05.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 481

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Oh, come on. Some things should be more important than some music files on a mac. He should give her a second chance. And she looks very pretty, doesn't she?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Cute!

hamish_holmes said:
well she gave some tihsllub thing about how she like the noises and wanted to know if the the trash from ikea. she had her ipod plugged in and was trying to put my music onto hers with drag an drop with 20GB...

sigh..

lacie hard drives here i come.

That her?

MinorBidoh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
uk
yeah its her. ipod transfer worked beautifully, tho shes never allowed to touch the mac again. thanks for your help people.

you can always love a mac, you cant always love a girlfriend.:)

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
hamish_holmes said:
...tho shes never allowed to touch the mac again.

She can touch my mac ;) :eek:

Seriously though, stop loving your mac so much and get out of your chair,sit her down then show her the way - call it a date if you have to, but you will both be happier in the end. Make sure to compliment immensely - i'm told women like that... :)

MinorBidoh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
uk
nnooo joy there amigo. she has some sony viao thing shes content with. let sleeping lions sleep.

shes forgiven tho, makes great eggy-bread bacon sarnies.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
Long shot but maybe she didn't send them to the trash can and they are still in your iTunes folder??

If not too bad. But yay for make up sex!!:D

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
I would still check under music the iTunes library folder just to make sure that you didn't double up on the files. That would be a bummer.

Nice looking Girlfriend though give her another chance and teach her a couple of lessons on how to use a ...... (Mac that is)

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
hamish_holmes said:
free girl available: loves to cook, great kisser et al, useless driver, really cant work macs. will post pics.
This has to be the best line I've seen in the forums so far this year. Had me on the floor. Props to you, sir. :D

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Yeah, I know how easy it is to accidently delete stuff. The other day I accidently opened terminal, accidently hacked, accidently typed in "g5-062v-kill-all-data427hdwipe-args[]" and the screen went blank. :rolleyes:
She deleted your stuff on purpose dude. What did you do to her? Or what didn't you do that she expected you to, yet didn't tell you about? ;)
Unless she is actually dumb "pressing the delete key plays the songs, doesn't it?"

MinorBidoh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
uk
amusing indeed. shes starting to give clues away as to why she was mad at me. and claims the " it was a mistake, sorry hunny" was a white lie....

.... the plot thickens will keep you posted.

(deceptive smile)

Attachments

• SP-A80.jpg
    SP-A80.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 190

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
LOL This thread is classic! Not to sound mean or anything, but that definitely sounded intentional. The delete key is self-explanatory... it deletes! :p But hey, she's cute. Keep her. :)

Everyone deserves a second chance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.