Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skyuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2022
Hi all. About a year or so I installed the app "SynologyDrive" from the NAS manufacturer Synology's website, but it was not long before I determined that I didn't need it, so I uninstalled it using the app AppCleaner. Today I was fiddling around the System Settings when I found that this app is still listed in the permissions list of Notifications. I then checked /System/Library and /System/Applications for any folder named "Synology" and searched in Activity Monitor for any process whose name contains "syno", but nothing was found. So how would this happen? Is it possible that the uninstallation attempt made a year ago might not be thorough enough? Is there any way I can remove the potential remainder files and remove it from the permissions list?

And, what is the best way to remove apps on Macs that you would recommend?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    119.3 KB · Views: 107

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
Hi all. About a year or so I installed the app "SynologyDrive" from the NAS manufacturer Synology's website, but it was not long before I determined that I didn't need it, so I uninstalled it using the app AppCleaner. Today I was fiddling around the System Settings when I found that this app is still listed in the permissions list of Notifications. I then checked /System/Library and /System/Applications for any folder named "Synology" and searched in Activity Monitor for any process whose name contains "syno", but nothing was found. So how would this happen? Is it possible that the uninstallation attempt made a year ago might not be thorough enough? Is there any way I can remove the potential remainder files and remove it from the permissions list?

And, what is the best way to remove apps on Macs that you would recommend?
Thanks!

The "best" way to remove Mac apps is to follow the directions from the developer. Now that can be a bit of a nuisance, and most apps can be easily removed completely using AppCleaner. I use that myself. For apps that need to "embed" themselves more deeply into your system, you may have to root out more items. I use Find Any File to hunt down remnants of apps that may still have pieces lingering. In the case of SynologyDrive, they have specific instructions for uninstalling. If you can't root out anything using Find Any File (or EasyFind), then you may want to reinstall the app, then follow their instructions for removal.

Skyuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2022
The "best" way to remove Mac apps is to follow the directions from the developer. Now that can be a bit of a nuisance, and most apps can be easily removed completely using AppCleaner. I use that myself. For apps that need to "embed" themselves more deeply into your system, you may have to root out more items. I use Find Any File to hunt down remnants of apps that may still have pieces lingering. In the case of SynologyDrive, they have specific instructions for uninstalling. If you can't root out anything using Find Any File (or EasyFind), then you may want to reinstall the app, then follow their instructions for removal.

It worked! Thank you very much🙏🙏

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.