Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2017
So I was trying to uninstall Sierra and get back to Yosemite or El Capitan, and I somehow deleted the "Macintosh HD" thing. I'm not really too fond on what I should do or if I made a really bad error. All the other things such as iMovie and those things that normally came with the Macbook when I initially bought it is gone. It's not in the app store nor do I have any back up to get things back. Furthermore, in finder on the "Devices" section, it now says "Remote Disk" and nothing else, which wasn't how it was. Is there anyway I can possibly get things back to the way it used to be?

Here's an image of my disk utility:
Screen+Shot+2017-01-30+at+11.32.30+PM.png
Screen+Shot+2017-01-30+at+11.32.48+PM.png

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
You formatted your harddrive, deleting everything, which is a requirement for downgrading the OS. So you can reinstall the OS, which I assume you have done due to your description. Now, you have to reinstall all your software and files, from your backup and whatever else you got.

None of us have any idea what "the way it used to be" is.

Last edited:

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Looking at the first image posted above, that lists the Untitled partition, nearly 74GB of space is used up, now that is far more than just a fresh OS install, so something must be recoverable.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

Like other mentioned, your data is toast. But we can get you back up and running, just without your personal data.

First, it looks like the Untiled volume is encrypted, so you will not be able to format normally in Disk Utility. Follow these steps.

Reboot and hold command-option-r (all three keys at once). Select your wifi network on the next screen and enter your wifi password. You will then see a spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads. Once that is done you will see a recovery screen like this.

iu.jpeg

Click on Utilities at the top then Terminal. Then enter the line below at the command prompt in Terminal. That will remove the encrypted volume from the drive.

Code:
diskutil cs delete "Untitled"

Now quit Terminal and start Disk Utility. Go to the erase tab then select the drive itself at the very top of the left column. Now select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the dropdown on the right then apply that format.

Then quit Disk Utility and click reinstall OS and wait for the OS to download and install.

Once that is done it will restart and you can setup an account. This will get you back to the OS that came from the factory, I believe Yosemite in your case. You can then open the App Store app and update to Sierra if you want. You can also look in your Purchases tab of the App Store app and find all the iWorks and iLife apps there to reinstall.

Reactions: CoastalOR

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Looking at the first image posted above, that lists the Untitled partition, nearly 74GB of space is used up, now that is far more than just a fresh OS install, so something must be recoverable.

Good point about the size. And the number of folders seems too high for a clean install/bare OS.....though I don't have an idea what that number would be off the top of my head. Does not mean that data is recoverable though....could be that some data and/or apps have been reinstalled.

A bit skeptical that we have all the pertinent info here....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.