Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sfl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
Hello,

I deleted my ssd trying to solve an efi partition error.

I have a Macbook air 13 late 2010 that had Mac Os Sierra and wanted the High Sierra, but the efi partition wouldn’t mount neither through disk utility nor through terminal, so i tried formatting the drive but somehow i only ended up with os x base system, nothing else, the macintosh is now os x base system of 256 GB even though i only had 121 gb, now i cannot boot into recovery mode anymore, the bar in the loading screen fills up but nothing else happens, cant access internet recovery mode or the normal mode, the only one i can use is the single user mode, i tried mounting a bootable usb from there and even though it shows it is mounted, it wont appear at start up when i press Option key, i already reseted the nvram and smc nothing works, can someone please help me as i am about to lose my mind, i was that stupid to not create a back up. In single user mode when typing ls -l /dev/disk* the following appear: disk0, disk0s1(msdos) disk0s2 that cannot be mounted or anything

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Did You try Time machine ?
2 years ago i had high sierra on my macbook air but needed to update firmware, then restall.
Can you go back to plain sierra?

Sfl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
Did You try Time machine ?
2 years ago i had high sierra on my macbook air but needed to update firmware, then restall.
Can you go back to plain sierra?

I cannot use anything besides single user mode, in start up manager only os x base system shows up and that doesn’t load, even if the bootable usb is connected and mounted it won’t show up as boot option

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Does
I cannot use anything besides single user mode, in start up manager only os x base system shows up and that doesn’t load, even if the bootable usb is connected and mounted it won’t show up as boot option
Im sure you will get bombarded with advice soon, just chose the tip younare comfortable with, and donot toss the mbair i have mine working as macciver would.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Hello,

I deleted my ssd trying to solve an efi partition error.

I have a Macbook air 13 late 2010 that had Mac Os Sierra and wanted the High Sierra, but the efi partition wouldn’t mount neither through disk utility nor through terminal, so i tried formatting the drive but somehow i only ended up with os x base system, nothing else, the macintosh is now os x base system of 256 GB even though i only had 121 gb, now i cannot boot into recovery mode anymore, the bar in the loading screen fills up but nothing else happens, cant access internet recovery mode or the normal mode, the only one i can use is the single user mode, i tried mounting a bootable usb from there and even though it shows it is mounted, it wont appear at start up when i press Option key, i already reseted the nvram and smc nothing works, can someone please help me as i am about to lose my mind, i was that stupid to not create a back up. In single user mode when typing ls -l /dev/disk* the following appear: disk0, disk0s1(msdos) disk0s2 that cannot be mounted or anything

Do you have a secondary Mac? If so, you can put the MBA into Target Disk Mode and do everything from the secondary Mac operating on the MBA as if it were just an external SSD

Sfl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
Do you have a secondary Mac? If so, you can put the MBA into Target Disk Mode and do everything from the secondary Mac operating on the MBA as if it were just an external SSD

Unfortunately i don’t, i have a mac os High Sierra virtual machine on a windows laptop, wonder if that would work?

Sfl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
If there's Thunderbolt passthrough, probably

Well i don’t how to add a thunderbolt passthrough,however, the laptop that runs windows has usb c, i dont know if it’s relevant but i’m trying to get my hands on a usb c cable to see if i can connect the mac as drive to the laptop, if this doesn’t work, what are my other options?I cannot afford a new one thus the endless struggle

Last edited:

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Well i don’t how to add a thunderbolt passthrough,however, the laptop that runs windows has usb c, i dont know if it’s relevant but i’m trying to get my hands on a usb c cable to see if i can connect the mac as drive to the laptop, if this doesn’t work, what are my other options?I cannot afford a new one thus the endless struggle

Target Disk Mode only works over Thunderbolt or FireWire.
Thunderbolt passthrough means the host passes the direct signal to the VM.

Your other options are finding someone else who has a Mac. I can't really think of anything else with he described circumstances.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Macbook air 13 late 2010
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202313

You should be able to use Internet recovery to get this going.

Try holding command-option-r (all three at once) at boot. Select your wifi then you should see a spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads. Once the recovery screen comes up format the internal drive with Disk Utility then reinstall the OS.

If you don't get the spinning grey globe, you are not in Internet recovery, and this won't work.

Sfl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202313

You should be able to use Internet recovery to get this going.

Try holding command-option-r (all three at once) at boot. Select your wifi then you should see a spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads. Once the recovery screen comes up format the internal drive with Disk Utility then reinstall the OS.

If you don't get the spinning grey globe, you are not in Internet recovery, and this won't work.

It doesn’t work, i know how to boot in internet recovery mode, but it won’t boot, it just loads forever, the only mode it accepted was single user

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It doesn’t work, i know how to boot in internet recovery mode, but it won’t boot, it just loads forever, the only mode it accepted was single user
You are kind on in a tough spot here then. Can you access a friends Mac to make yourself a bootable USB key installer?

I'm wondering if you have some other underlying problem beyond the OS not being on the drive. What lead up to all this... symptoms?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
i have an extra USB of Snow leopard for my MBAir 2010 !!" if you need to use a copy.
please let me know if this would help.

Sfl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
You are kind on in a tough spot here then. Can you access a friends Mac to make yourself a bootable USB key installer?

I'm wondering if you have some other underlying problem beyond the OS not being on the drive. What lead up to all this... symptoms?

Corrupt efi partition that wouldnt mount nor repair, and i followed apple cs advice but i might have did something wrong when erasing the drive and i ended up with just os x base system, when i press option key at booting, the base system appears and the option to connect to the internet but it still won’t do anything, i am trying to create a bootable sd card( the only one large enough i have) on Vmware from the windows operating laptop. So at the moment the macbook has no OS installed.

Last edited:

Sfl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
Thank you very much everyone for trying to help me, i created a bootable mac os Sierra in Vmware on the Windows laptop(that took a loooong time) i managed to enter single user mode as #root by using PS1=‘\h:\W\u\$ ‘ export PS1 and it got me back to root, i hit reboot and this time the usb was visible when pressing Option key, i fixed the drive in utility disk and i Installed mac os sierra from the bootable USB, thank you again.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thank you very much everyone for trying to help me, i created a bootable mac os Sierra in Vmware on the Windows laptop(that took a loooong time) i managed to enter single user mode as #root by using PS1=‘\h:\W\u\$ ‘ export PS1 and it got me back to root, i hit reboot and this time the usb was visible when pressing Option key, i fixed the drive in utility disk and i Installed mac os sierra from the bootable USB, thank you again.

Glad you've got it working now. Really strange that Internet Recovery didn't work though.

renbo

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2021
Bookmarking this as research as I am having a similar problem with start up disk deleted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.