Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ralzdalz3610

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
I used to have an iPhone 5. It had a passcode on it. Unfortunately someone close to me plugged my phone in to their laptop, and they had a few different programs which allowed them to pull up all of my phone's history. I don't even know how they did this with my phone locked, but from what I understand it was pretty simple. Messages I had deleted were still there, my Internet history (even though I cleared my search history often), deleted photos, etc. Anything I thought I had deleted, they were able to access. I now have an iPhone 6 and I want to make sure I never have this problem again. I was wondering if I do a reset of the phone, if there is any way to still use a program or when the phone is plugged in, to see anything? On my old phone they were able to pull up "deleted" items but I had never done a reset. I don't have iCloud Drive, and I don't back up my phone (I don't really need to) - I do have an iPad which is connected to my iMessage and the only things I store on iCloud are my e-mail, contacts, reminders (no text or iMessages)

Hope this is clear. I just want to know if I do a reset of the phone if there is any type of program out there to see my phone's history like they did before. I know I will lose everything if I reset but my contacts are backed up and then I will just have to get my apps again.

Thanks for the help!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
AFAIK this is no longer possible via apps like iExplorer and Phoneview because of the "trust this computer" feature added in to iOS 7.

Doing a restore as new phone will fully purge anything you might be worried about.

ralzdalz3610

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
AFAIK this is no longer possible via apps like iExplorer and Phoneview because of the "trust this computer" feature added in to iOS 7.

Doing a restore as new phone will fully purge anything you might be worried about.
Thanks for the reply. But if they were using their own computer couldn't they just click "trust this computer" ?

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Hypothetically yes but choosing trust must happen on your iPhone, if it's locked with a passcode they wouldn't be able to trust the computer.

Reactions: TechFann

ralzdalz3610

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Hypothetically yes but choosing trust must happen on your iPhone, if it's locked with a passcode they wouldn't be able to trust the computer.
Right, but last time
On my last phone I had a passcode and they were able to still get in once it was plugged in. Although it was an iPhone 5 so...?

ralzdalz3610

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
I can't remember. But probably the old one if you're saying it would allow to plug in without a password and now it doesn't?

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Yeah that's what I would assume. In the past my computer would load things automatically on connected phones.
Nice feature for yourself; creepy for your friends.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
You were probably on iOS6.

In any case, some changes were made starting in iOS7, but even stricter security was placed in iOS8, such that none of those programs work anymore, so long as the phone is locked and the computer not trusted.

ralzdalz3610

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.