Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I have a 24" iMac and forgot about the external power adapter until I read this post. I have mine mounted on the bottom of my desk, hidden and out of the way. I also have the Ethernet cable plugged in to it. For me it's not a deal breaker, it's just forgotten.

Reactions: ignatius345

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
I've almost pulled the trigger on the M1 iMac several times but remembering that it has an external power adapter always changes my mind. I feel like it goes against the design principles iMacs have always represented. It would have been so easy to integrate it into the computer itself. I like the ethernet integration for those who need it but would rather have the two combined any day. The external brick takes away from the sleekness. It's either cluttered behind the computer taking up desk space or on the floor, which just seems, I don't know, messy to me. I'll probably still get one with the M2 update, and besides the weird color options and combinations it seems like an awesome machine. It's very silly, I know. Something so minuscule has kept me from buying a great computer.

Just get over yourself :)
Look at it this way, that the external powerbrick makes the iMac so sexy sleak and slim.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
I've almost pulled the trigger on the M1 iMac several times but remembering that it has an external power adapter always changes my mind. I feel like it goes against the design principles iMacs have always represented. It would have been so easy to integrate it into the computer itself. I like the ethernet integration for those who need it but would rather have the two combined any day. The external brick takes away from the sleekness. It's either cluttered behind the computer taking up desk space or on the floor, which just seems, I don't know, messy to me. I'll probably still get one with the M2 update, and besides the weird color options and combinations it seems like an awesome machine. It's very silly, I know. Something so minuscule has kept me from buying a great computer.
Be careful what you wish for. I would rather have an external power supply than a non-removable power cord like the new Studio Display.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I have a 24" iMac and forgot about the external power adapter until I read this post. I have mine mounted on the bottom of my desk, hidden and out of the way. I also have the Ethernet cable plugged in to it. For me it's not a deal breaker, it's just forgotten.
Same. Mine's down by the big-ass power strip I have all my other desk stuff plugged into, totally forgotten. Hilarious that's someone's idea of a "deal breaker" :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.