Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebumbing2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
Whenever I drag an app or program on applications to trash, i always find new files from the related app/program on library or somewhere else. In Windows, there are some programs that helps you to completely remove a program with its all files in the system. Im beginner to macos. How can i completely remove a program? I searched for some 3rd party programs to do this like Cleanmymac. But then i read the comments of Cleanmymac, some people say its effective and some people say its not good. What can i do?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Yes, this is one of the few things that annoys me with macOS. It really needs a proper package manager.

I use Find Any File to search for, and remove left over files after deleting the app. You just have to be careful with it and not blindly delete all results.

Reactions: theorist9

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Some apps do have uninstallers, which remove everything. Others have instructions on their websites telling you all the files you need to remove. So those are the first things you want to look for.

Another option is to email the developer and ask the file names and locations of everything the app saves on your system

But, barring those, I'll add my own endorsement of Find Any File—it's great. But the problem with relying on it is two-fold:
(1) You have to be careful not to accidentally delete a file with a name that sounds like it belongs to the app you're deleting, but in fact belongs to another app (or, worse, to a system file).
(2) Many apps install files with names that don't contain the app name, so it's impossible to identify them as belonging to the app.

There are aftermarket uninstallers, but MacWorld tested them back in 2010, and none got rid of all the orphan files:

Here's a review of the apps available in 2022 that do this:

It seems what's really needed is a program that tracks all and records all files added by an app at the time the app is installed. Thus it knows where all the orphan files are when it's time to uninstall it.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I use AppCleaner but I know from first hand evidence even that's not foolproof
When I first transitioned to MacOS is 2011 from Windows I was a bit shocked to find there was no uninstaller built into MacOS, like there is with Windows.
Naively I assume it was because MacOS apps don't litter themselves around the hard drive like apps do in Windows, so you only even need to drag the app to the bin/trashcan. Wrong.

Reactions: gradi

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Whenever I drag an app or program on applications to trash, i always find new files from the related app/program on library or somewhere else. In Windows, there are some programs that helps you to completely remove a program with its all files in the system. Im beginner to macos. How can i completely remove a program? I searched for some 3rd party programs to do this like Cleanmymac. But then i read the comments of Cleanmymac, some people say its effective and some people say its not good. What can i do?
Appcleaner - https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

Reactions: Weaselboy

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Instead of using 3rd party applications that might or might not do exactly the right thing in all cases I just completely wipe my Mac every 2 or so years/major OS updates and install everything from scratch. That results in a nice and clean system, no leftovers, no outdated configurations, nothing. Btw, please use the correct forum for your questions, this one is macOS specific and has nothing whatsoever to do with Apple Silicon.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
One MORE vote for AppCleaner.

Having said that, there are some programs (I'm thinking of Adobe, etc.) for which even AppCleaner may not be able to "get all" all of the components.

In that case, something like "EasyFind" might help.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
This is something I do like on Windows, the one in 999. Being able to uninstall apps and accompanying files from settings is handy with several software. MacOS has a lot of organization heirarchy for music software, separate plugins by type etc. It can be tedious to uninstall those programs if they lack a proper patching tool, need reinstalled from error, or you simply don't want them anymore.

smwhr_ovr_rnbw

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2019
Ever since Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard I've been a big fan of AppZapper, currently at version 2.0.3. It seems like it hasn't been updated in a while, though, and a single license costs US$ 20.

I haven't used AppCleaner yet. The current version, 3.6.4., runs on macOS 10.14 Mojave up to macOS 12 Monterey and it's absolutely free.

Good software should come with uninstallers, or better yet, macOS should keep a record of every installed software package and allow for its removal. Well, one can dream.

Do let us know which app you finally choose. Best of luck!

Last edited:

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
If you're curious, you could actually compare the performance of app cleaners. For instance, in a test partition, install a few programs where you know in advance all the files they install (e.g., by inquiring with the developer). Then run each app cleaner and see what percentage of those files it's able to identify. I.e., do what MacWorld did back in 2010:

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
I use App Cleaner. It searches for files related to the to-be-deleted app and puts them in the trash.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Prefer native OS solution vs adding more litter with third party software. Looking into OpenBSM since it looks like it has a mechanism to log file creations. Just need to log files created during app installation and first app run for complete removal.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Looking into OpenBSM since it looks like it has a mechanism to log file creations.
Is OpenBSM still around on macOS?

Having said that, there are some programs (I'm thinking of Adobe, etc.) for which even AppCleaner may not be able to "get all" all of the components.
To be fair to Adobe, they do provide uninstallers.

The programs which need more attention are those with system extensions or kexts (e.g. firewalls and VPN clients) and those installed via homebrew.

Instead of using 3rd party applications that might or might not do exactly the right thing in all cases I just completely wipe my Mac every 2 or so years/major OS updates and install everything from scratch.
I used to do that - usually 12 moths. But have now not done so for 3 years and don't see any need to do so. Just needs a bit of discipline when uninstalling: a) always use App Cleaner (or similar) and b) recognise the type of app which might need more work (e.g. those that add system extensions or kexts).

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Is OpenBSM still around on macOS?

Still see config files and active logging on Ventura. However, Xcode support looks deprecated. Still fine if it can get the job done without resorting to third party software.

thebumbing2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
Instead of using 3rd party applications that might or might not do exactly the right thing in all cases I just completely wipe my Mac every 2 or so years/major OS updates and install everything from scratch. That results in a nice and clean system, no leftovers, no outdated configurations, nothing. Btw, please use the correct forum for your questions, this one is macOS specific and has nothing whatsoever to do with Apple Silicon.
Ok, thank u

thebumbing2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
This is something I do like on Windows, the one in 999. Being able to uninstall apps and accompanying files from settings is handy with several software. MacOS has a lot of organization heirarchy for music software, separate plugins by type etc. It can be tedious to uninstall those programs if they lack a proper patching tool, need reinstalled from error, or you simply don't want them anymore.
Yes, i dont know why macos doesnt have this

thebumbing2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
I have been using macos since late 2020. But i still couldn’t make mac my main computer. My main computer is still a windows pc. I really want to love macos but it seems like maybe i may never. In late 2020, i bought my first mac as an 2019 i9 16” mbp. Then when the 2021 16” mbp’s came, i bought the 2021 one and sold the old one. I thought maybe i will love macos with the 120hz refresh rate,ports etc. But so many important programs doesnt exist(for ex. 3dsmax). You cannot delete any program completely, it leaves junk files. My current mac is M1 Pro 16” but my 8 year old MSI GE70 2PC Apache Pro Windows pc my main computer(!!!) is faster on rendering with keyshot and also when i upgraded to Ventura, the NOT EVEN 1 YEAR OLD M1 PRO WENT SLOW. WHATS THAT?? Can u guys suggest anything for these situations? I do really want to love mac but because of these things, i still cannot make my mac my main laptop.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
when i upgraded to Ventura, the NOT EVEN 1 YEAR OLD M1 PRO WENT SLOW. WHATS THAT??
Was it slow for a while or has it been slow ever since? All Apple operating systems do some stuff after a major upgrade that might take a couple of minutes to a couple of hours to complete and might slow down the system during that time. Usually everything returns to normal speed once this indexing etc. is over.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I use AppCleaner but I know from first hand evidence even that's not foolproof
When I first transitioned to MacOS is 2011 from Windows I was a bit shocked to find there was no uninstaller built into MacOS, like there is with Windows.
Naively I assume it was because MacOS apps don't litter themselves around the hard drive like apps do in Windows, so you only even need to drag the app to the bin/trashcan. Wrong.
Historically, most App on Mac OS are installed by copying the app bundle to the applications folder and you can uninstall them the same way. That is still how most apps work.

There are some apps that are installed via an install script and those are often the ones that install other files. Some of those have uninstallers but not all of them. That is where you would want to use AppCleaner or Cleanmymac Or something like those. I rarely need that so I don’t have much recommendation for which one to use.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Historically, most App on Mac OS are installed by copying the app bundle to the applications folder and you can uninstall them the same way. That is still how most apps work.
And that is not a good way to uninstall. It leaves behind lots of files in ~/Library and for some software in /Library. All these files need to be removed if you want to keep a clean system. Some apps have an uninstaller app, some have instructions on how to uninstall, but for the rest something like AppCleaner is essential.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
And that is not a good way to uninstall. It leaves behind lots of files in ~/Library and for some software in /Library. All these files need to be removed if you want to keep a clean system. Some apps have an uninstaller app, some have instructions on how to uninstall, but for the rest something like AppCleaner is essential.
No, those apps installed via app bundles are not the ones leaving that stuff all over. it is the ones that use an installer script that leave a mess behind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.