Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will deleting docs delete all of my documents

• Total voters

SportsPhan8

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2016
IMG_3045.PNG I'm planning on removing some apps on my iPod touch in order to make room.

I'm removing Google Docs, but when I do so it says "deleting docs will also delete all of it's documents and data".

If I delete the app, will it delete all of my files, too?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
No... (and I'm thinking that taking a poll won't change the outcome in any event) so -
Deleting the Google Docs app will delete the app, and all documents and data (the 31.6 MB that you see in that screenshot) related to Google Docs.
Nothing else will be touched.

The same result with each app that you want to delete. Files (settings) and documents related to that app are deleted when the app is deleted.

SportsPhan8

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2016
No... (and I'm thinking that taking a poll won't change the outcome in any event) so -
Deleting the Google Docs app will delete the app, and all documents and data (the 31.6 MB that you see in that screenshot) related to Google Docs.
Nothing else will be touched.

The same result with each app that you want to delete. Files (settings) and documents related to that app are deleted when the app is deleted.

Okay, I figured this to be true, but I wanted to double check and be 100 percent corrected, before I deleted the app. Thank you for your help and response.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Don't know specifically about Google Docs, but since Google Docs is a cloud-based service, it's very, very unlikely that Google would delete documents from the cloud simply because you deleted the app on the phone. That would defeat a key benefit of using the cloud. The cloud assumes that you may be accessing your data from more than one device - deleting the app/erasing the device should not affect your ability to access that data from other devices or the Google web site.

Either by default, or by option, most cloud-based apps also keep copies of the data on your mobile devices and computers, so that you can access the data when you lack an internet connection. In iOS, that locally-stored data would be deleted when you delete the app - that's the standard practice - delete the app, delete the local data. However, the cloud-based data (which is the master), would not be affected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.