Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Long story.
I recently tried to add my custom email domain to iCloud, and discovered that I couldn’t use it for email as there was another account already using it.

So I went to AppleID with said email address and logged in.
I then chose to delete said account, in the hopes I could then add this custom domain to iCloud. AppleID said it could take up to 7 days to delete the old account.

I have now tried to log into the old deleted account via appleID to see if it’s been Deleted and I have been told there is no account with said name. And yet when I try to setup a custom email address in iCloud with my domain, I am still receiving a message that says my email address cannot be registered as the name still being used ?

byke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Dear iStorm, thank you very much for your reply.
It saved me a huge amount of problems.
I was luckily able to save the old account, and will change the ID rather than delete it.

Again thank you.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Ok - here is an update.
I was able to save the previously deleted appleID, and restore it.

The previous email used on appleID was "s__a@pet_____on.com"
I changed this to : "deletedaccount001@____.com"

I then went onto my active appleID account, where I have the domain "pet_____on.com" already setup.
However, when I tried to add the "s__a@pet_____on.com" - I received an error (see screenshot).

Now, it could be that because I haven't deleted the currently named appleID "deletedaccount001@____.com" Which previously had the desired email I wish to save "s__a@pet_____on.com" . But before I delete this unused appleID , I wanted to check if anyone else had any ideas so I try and reduce the risk

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_7628.jpeg
    IMG_7628.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 64

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Interesting... I found this post that seems to be similar to your problem. Seems like you basically did the same thing. Did you use an email address that you had access to, so that your could verify/confirm the change?

byke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Yes, in order for me to change the original email address.
I was required to use a new email address that I could confirm.

So far I changed a total of 3 appleID accounts.

As it stands, 1 account has allowed me to reuse the old email (successfully).
And 2 others are still having issues.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
I just wanted to add to this thread.

I was finally able to add the custom domain and email addresses.
I did so by removing the previously added custom domain email accounts for each person, then removing the custom email domain. And then by using my domain register to forward all the emails to a specific email. Then re added the custom domain and its email addresses, verified all the new custom emails (since I had them all forwarded to me) and then changed DNS settings back to apple.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Hi Byke,

so are you saying the email ID that was previously an AppleID is now working ok?

im having similar problems, deleted an old AppleID that used my domain and although it’s deleted I can’t reuse it.

Apple support suggested using a different email address which doesn’t really work, if I wanted a new email I’d have done that already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.