Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
iCloud full, don't really want to use it any way.
If I go into iCloud Drive on my phone and then delete documents and data, will it delete anything on my MBP as well?
IMG_1966.PNG

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
"Delete Documents and Data"

This will delete all documents and data from iCloud and all connected devices. This action cannot be undone.

I would say yes. It will delete from all your connected devices, which in your case is your MBP.

If you want to keep stuff on your MBP, I'd copy it all to a different folder before doing this.

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
I've created a new folder on my Desktop, named document backup. I opened Documents in Finder but it won't let me copy/move the documents to the Desktop folder??

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I've created a new folder on my Desktop, named document backup. I opened Documents in Finder but it won't let me copy/move the documents to the Desktop folder??
This means they are online-only. You need to make them available offline before moving them out of Documents folder.

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Thanks for the help. All sorted. There was a folder in there something to do with iMovie that wouldn't move. I've now copied each file over.
It says there is 3.9Gb in the cloud. These few documents don't tally that? Can I look at individual files in the cloud?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Thanks for the help. All sorted. There was a folder in there something to do with iMovie that wouldn't move. I've now copied each file over.
It says there is 3.9Gb in the cloud. These few documents don't tally that? Can I look at individual files in the cloud?
Just go to the files app and click iCloud Drive folder to see what’s inside.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021

Frankenstein's Fat Foot

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2021
"Delete Documents and Data"

If you want to keep stuff on your MBP, I'd copy it all to a different folder before doing this.
I'd be putting it on an external drive and then disconnecting it to make sure it's safe - if you aren't sure what you are doing.

If it's syncing your desktop and you put the 'different folder' on the desktop then you risk accidentally deleting that too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.