Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KasperPSR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2018
Lately I've encountered a weird issue: Deleting a folder or a zipped file from my desktop permanently erases it. I'm prompted with an "are you sure you want to delete" dialogue. When I press delete, the file doesn't go to trash – it's completely removed.

Other things of note:
– When I delete other files from my desktop, like screenshots, the files will go to trash like normal.
– When I delete folders or zipped files from other directories than my desktop, the files will go to trash like normal.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

(MacOS Ventura 13.3.1 on a 2021 M1 MacBook Pro)

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
How are you "deleting" the file? Deleting (Cmd + Opt + Backspace) will delete a file immediately. If you want to move a file to the trash you need to select "Move to Trash" (Cmd + Backspace).

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Drag the file to a Terminal.app window to see what the path is. Is it the same path as a screenshot file?

Did you create the folder yourself using the Finder New Folder command?

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2007
Sounds like a permission problem. (if a file is not allowed to be moved to the "~/.trash" folder, it will be immediately deleted instead.)
Compare the permissions between your "trashable" and "non-trashable" files. Then try to find out, who is responsible for these differences. (It could be that the permissions of your "~/Desktop" folder are off. Files inherit the permissions of their parent folder under special circumstances.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.