Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
Yesterday I bought a 14" MBP M1Pro. My 16 MBP M1Pro was running Sonoma, so to migrate from 16", I had to install Sonoma in 14" as well. After a couple of trials, I could move everything to my 14". I had Clean my Mac on my 16" so I activated then in my 14".

Clean my mac showed error on deleting few files. it says;

This item was cleaned partially.

Errors:
/Library/Caches/com.apple.amsengagementd.classicdatavault: “com.apple.amsengagementd.classicdatavault” couldn’t be removed because you don’t have permission to access it.
/Library/Caches/com.apple.aneuserd: “com.apple.aneuserd” couldn’t be removed because you don’t have permission to access it.

I checked the cache folder and those folders were red marked. I couldn't delete them even by using Terminal. The strange thing is, same folders had been created on my 16" as well. It happened only after I synced with migration assistant. I couldn't even change the access status.

How can I delete these files?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You will probably be allowed to delete those files, if you first disable SIP.
You should re-enable SIP after deleting the files, if you want to maintain the same security level on your system.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
You will probably be allowed to delete those files, if you first disable SIP.
You should re-enable SIP after deleting the files, if you want to maintain the same security level on your system.
Thanks! With SIP disabled, I could delete them but, once I enabled SIP, those files are denying access. So, I am in square one.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
So, you can now guess that those files are among those protected by the system (one of the functions of SIP...)
So, if you want to delete the files, you have to disable SIP.
I usually expect that anything in "Caches" can normally be deleted, with the exception of files that are reported as busy for some reason.
But, sounds like those are a couple of files that are needed by the system, enough to protect them from moving, or (in this case) deleting.

If you have deleted those files (after disabling SIP), then re-enabled SIP - you might expect that the system will simply create those files, and those files would still be protected while SIP is enabled.
And, now you know the system considers those to be protected. And, with SIP, if created again, then you can expect those same cache files would return, and would be protected as well.
How does that put you back in square one?

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
I didn't have any problems to clear caches before. This happened only after I migrated from my 16". It is strange that after migration these folders became unaccessible. I do use Clean My MacX sometimes. It never showed any error in deleting caches. Do anyone having troubles in deleting these folders?

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2023-07-22 kl. 19.20.57.png
    Skärmavbild 2023-07-22 kl. 19.20.57.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 95

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I didn't have any problems to clear caches before. This happened only after I migrated from my 16". It is strange that after migration these folders became unaccessible. I do use Clean My MacX sometimes. It never showed any error in deleting caches. Do anyone having troubles in deleting these folders?
There's no benefit in deleting cache files, so just leave them. They won't get migrated if you're using Migration Assistant and the processes that use them will just generate new cache files and delete old ones as needed.
Cache files exist to improve your computer's performance.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I will say that I never have problems with deleting whatever I choose to delete in my own user/Library/Caches folder.
But, I am not running Sonoma on any Mac yet, so I don't know what Sonoma (remember that is still early in beta test) might be doing with caches.
As chrfr suggested, cache files are simply there to help performance in apps, and the system in general, and there really is little need to clear out Caches in normal use.
I suspect that you will see some change in how cache files are handled when Sonoma is in general release

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.