Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
The solution to this problem is - donā€™t use iMessages in iCloud. Toggle it off. Use it how it used to be with no iCloud syncing.
In other words, don't use a feature Apple promotes, because they suck at finishing software. šŸ™„

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Is this feature working fine for everybody except for few people?
Turning it off should be the last resort, it is a pity that one cannot enjoy this useful feature.
It's a PITA for me. Every time I log into a device I haven't used in a while, it's a total hell-show.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
That's just how iCloud works. Apple is not very good with cloud stuff. I still have iCloud tabs I've closed from at least three years ago.
Apple is not very good at any software at all any more. They clearly do not have the leadership for bug-fixing and FINISHING software. They keep regressing software on the Mac when they trash the Mac version and port the iOS version to Mac OS. Messages in Monterey is a disaster of regressions compared to the prior version of Messages.

Reactions: antiprotest

raziel101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Yeah the issue has not been resolved and it still happens across all my devices that I use regularly. I'll wait for 16.1 to see if it is resolved and if not, I will just disable messages in the Cloud. I'm tired of iMessages reappearing on my devices.

The only consolation from all this is that the Senior Advisor sent me free Air Pods 3rd Gen as thanks for working with him on this issue. We discovered several different iCloud issues while working on iMessages and he had to open several tickets to track them all.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Yeah the issue has not been resolved and it still happens across all my devices that I use regularly. I'll wait for 16.1 to see if it is resolved and if not, I will just disable messages in the Cloud. I'm tired of iMessages reappearing on my devices.

The only consolation from all this is that the Senior Advisor sent me free Air Pods 3rd Gen as thanks for working with him on this issue. We discovered several different iCloud issues while working on iMessages and he had to open several tickets to track them all.
Cool. I identified a bug with contacts (some contact photos break iCloud synch of contacts), but I donā€™t even know if they logged it, let alone offering me a bounty for the bug discovery. šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø I report bugs all the time. Iā€™m sick of doing free beta testing.

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Are you able to try what I did? If you have two devices, delete a message on the first device. After confirming it is removed from the second device, toggle message in cloud off/on on the second device and wait a couple minutes to see if the delete message returns.

I am able to replicate this 100% of the time since December 2021.

Apple seems to be busy with prioritising and designing new emojis instead of fixing this.

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 09.57.57.png

Reactions: Lizzard899

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Everything iCloud is even worse overall when you have an older OS or two in the mix. My iPad and iPhone are up-to-date, but not my Macs.

Yesterday I got a reply to a conversation with mixed iMessage and SMS messages. The new message showed in a notification, and in the preview of the conversation in Messages (the Mac app), but not in the actual chat interface itself in Messages. Then thereā€™s the need to clean my messages of attachmentsā€¦ separately on each device, despite Messages in the Cloud being enabled everywhere. Technically they all support this, but, technically, it doesnā€™t actually work. This is becoming the ā€œnormā€ with my Apple experience.

High Sierra gets less usable with the ecosystem and availability of software monthly. Iā€™ve been trying to hold on to my computer purchase stash until Apple shows some clear sign that Iā€™m not going to get anything better than the Mac Studio, in my conceivable price range. I can buy a new machine once, for the next ā€¦ 8-10 years? Longer? Makes it hard to actually commit to updating, as I donā€™t want to regret the purchase soon after.

But damn, itā€™s getting almost impossible to deal with all the stuff thatā€™s broken (iCloud, webpages), software I have that cannot be updated, or new software I canā€™t try because Iā€™m stuck on High Sierra on my obsolete machines.

Lizzard899

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2023
Delaware
Whats the benefit of Messages in the cloud anyway? Up until now it only causes issues.
Ive never had issues with messages until ios 17.2 I realize this is an old thread that goes back to ios 15 but Im still gonna give my thoughts. I have a new phone. I went from iphone 8 to iphone se 3rd generation in Oct. I just recently started noticing problems in the icloud storage when I updated to ios 17.2 I am well aware that it takes up to 4 days after you manually delete texts for them to be removed permantly on the server end. Sometimes 180 days. I have 25 contacts 1 photo 0 texts and somehow my backup storage keeps increasing instead of decreasing. Maybe Apple servers took two weeks off for Christmas and stopped deleting stuff on their end. I heard their servers get buggy from time to time so they sometimes have stuff stuck on their end for awhile until it clears on its own. I dont even have the messages in icloud toggled on. It actually wont turn on it flips off. Lets hope they fix this storage bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.