Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sarbun96

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
I imported some video files from my dash cam which were ’protected’ / ‘locked’ as they were written by the dash cam upon a hard bump. I moved this onto my 512GB iPad storage in the ‘On my iPad‘ folder, now I can’t move or delete them. The “info“ panel shows some simple metadata, but will not let me unlock the files to be able to delete them. Any tips?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Great question! Never seen this one before.

How did you move them?
Do you have iCloud sync on?
If yes, can you delete them from Computer?

Sarbun96

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Great question! Never seen this one before.

How did you move them?
Do you have iCloud sync on?
If yes, can you delete them from Computer?

using a USB-C to USB-A adapter, plugged in to a microSD reader dongle. The transfer was quite slow and buggy to be honest. It let me transfer them in fine though.

it’s in the “On my iPad“ area of Files, so it doesn’t appear in iCloud on the computer. It’s local to the iPad.

Sarbun96

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
I'm actually thinking on returning the iPad on Friday to Apple. Limitations like this make me feel like I have over-estimated the iPad only lifestyle... and this is too much money to be simply not able to do something so simple :/

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Interesting topic and I‘m not sure what the solution is but here is one idea that may work if you can connect to a computer. Obviously not ideal!

Using an app like IExplorer by macroplant or another device managing software to move and delete files might work? They have a free trial and I believe you can use this to transfer, move and delete some files.

Let us know how you go. Definitely worth contacting Apple and possibly the dashcam company.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I'm actually thinking on returning the iPad on Friday to Apple. Limitations like this make me feel like I have over-estimated the iPad only lifestyle... and this is too much money to be simply not able to do something so simple :/
It is like cutting the cord (cable companies). There will be pains and gains.
I've yet to have the time to duplicate your efforts, but it is added to the list.

UPDATE:
Took a 40.1MB .mov file and 'locked' it.

Added to my iPad via AirDrop.
It appeared in Photos, easy to delete.

Then added it to iCloud Files.
Locked movie appeared and was easy deleted as well.

Added it to a Folder in Files.
Could not delete folder with locked movie inside.
Once I delete the locked movie, could delete now empty folder.

Finally dropped movie in folder assigned to another application folder on iPad.
Could not delete file, from application folder, but I could move it to a non application folder and then delete.

Sorry I could not duplicate your exact scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmac89

Sarbun96

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
It is like cutting the cord (cable companies). There will be pains and gains.
I've yet to have the time to duplicate your efforts, but it is added to the list.

UPDATE:
Took a 40.1MB .mov file and 'locked' it.

Added to my iPad via AirDrop.
It appeared in Photos, easy to delete.

Then added it to iCloud Files.
Locked movie appeared and was easy deleted as well.

Added it to a Folder in Files.
Could not delete folder with locked movie inside.
Once I delete the locked movie, could delete now empty folder.

Finally dropped movie in folder assigned to another application folder on iPad.
Could not delete file, from application folder, but I could move it to a non application folder and then delete.

Sorry I could not duplicate your exact scenario.

thanks for trying though. My issue is I have a dash cam (Nextbase 522GW) which when you go over a bump and trigger the G-force sensor it ‘protects’ that file so it’s not over written, in case it was an accident. So it’s normal behaviour for the file to be locked. But when I import it I need to merge the protected folder with the regular folder of clips so I can play through them.

I was really excited about the USB-C port on the iPad for doing this too. I was going to return it to Apple but it’s such a nice machine and I got bored of my Mac and sold it a few weeks ago. Plus this is better for reading etc. I just wish they’d fix this in the Files app!

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Probably not applicable, but just in case...

1) How exactly did you move the file onto the iPad? I.e did you drag and drop the file directly into the files app or do you use and app?

2) Does it show an option to delete the file even though it doesn’t work / greyed out or does it not even show an option to delete?

3) Do you have any other file management apps installed on the iPad such as documents by readdle etc?

If I save a file to another app such as documents app or via an app, it can show up on the files app but not allow me to deleted the file unless I go to the original documents app or original file management app used.

Sarbun96

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Probably not applicable, but just in case...

1) How exactly did you move the file onto the iPad? I.e did you drag and drop the file directly into the files app or do you use and app?

2) Does it show an option to delete the file even though it doesn’t work / greyed out or does it not even show an option to delete?

3) Do you have any other file management apps installed on the iPad such as documents by readdle etc?

If I save a file to another app such as documents app or via an app, it can show up on the files app but not allow me to deleted the file unless I go to the original documents app or original file management app used.

I dragged from the SD card onto the On My iPad section of the Files app.
i tap and hold on the file and select delete, then I get told I don’t have permission.
nope, no other document management apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.