Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laurastewart010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2018
So I am creating a year long project on iMovie and Airdrop the videos I use from my iPhone to my downloads on my Mac. I drag these movies into my project, but I want to delete them out of my downloads because my Mac is low on storage. Anytime I delete these movies out of my Downloads, iMovie says "the source movie" is missing. Does anyone know how to delete these videos and have them kept in my iMovie without having to export my ongoing project? Thanks!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Hmmm... you want to have your clips "in the location they will [permanently] reside" BEFORE you import them into iMovie's library.

If you've moved the clips, I think you'll just have to go into iMovie, and "manually re-import" each "previously moved clip" (and then delete the old one from the library).

Ummm... you do have a backup drive as well, don't you?
If not -- YOU BETTER GET ONE.
Where will you be if your internal drive fails?

laurastewart010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2018
Hmmm... you want to have your clips "in the location they will [permanently] reside" BEFORE you import them into iMovie's library.

If you've moved the clips, I think you'll just have to go into iMovie, and "manually re-import" each "previously moved clip" (and then delete the old one from the library).

Ummm... you do have a backup drive as well, don't you?
If not -- YOU BETTER GET ONE.
Where will you be if your internal drive fails?
Ok! How do I manually re-import clips? They show up in my project media. And yes, I back up my computer. I should invest in an external hard drive, but this project is just a personal one, and I'm a college student with limited resources, lol! But I will eventually probably buy one to keep all the files in.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
I drag these movies into my project, but I want to delete them out of my downloads because my Mac is low on storage. Anytime I delete these movies out of my Downloads, iMovie says "the source movie" is missing.
Hmm...that shouldn't happen, and it doesn't happen to me. I've just tried it. When you import into iMovie, either through the Import function, or dragging and dropping, the file is stored in your Home Folder>Movies>iMovie Library file, so you should be able to safely delete the original file afterwards.

I can't think why you are getting the "missing media" notice.

They show up in my project media
Stranger still. Have you tried dragging them into your Project?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.