Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Is there any way I can select and then delete multiple contacts in my Contacts list.
It would seem that every time I have sent an email to a .com it has been added to my contact list, there are hundreds of them!!
IMG_8829.PNG

macsareveryinteresting

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2020
Colorado Springs
Yes there is a way. By doing it you have to follow these steps. Go to the contacts app, click on the name you want to delete, then in the upper right corner click the edit button, and finally scroll down until you see the delete button and delete them. Hopefully this helps!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes there is a way. By doing it you have to follow these steps. Go to the contacts app, click on the name you want to delete, then in the upper right corner click the edit button, and finally scroll down until you see the delete button and delete them. Hopefully this helps!
????

I tried this. Every time I tap on a single contact to start the process it goes to the contact itself. From there I see no way for the Edit button to allow you to select multiple contacts to delete (which is what OP wants to do). Am I missing something?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Is there any way I can select and then delete multiple contacts in my Contacts list.
It would seem that every time I have sent an email to a .com it has been added to my contact list, there are hundreds of them!!
View attachment 1799980
OP, I use a third-party app for this called Groups. Been using it since December 2011. It will allow you to delete multiple contacts at once.

But the major reason I got it way back then was because it allows you to create Groups of contacts on the phone itself.

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
Who is your email provider? I would also make sure you find out how to get that feature disabled.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Pretty sure the op wants to delete multiple contacts at a time, not one by one.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
There doesn't appear to be a way to do it on iOS through the Contacts app. I had to do this recently and ended up just using the Contacts app on macOS. I think you can also delete multiple contacts through the iCloud web interface.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There doesn't appear to be a way to do it on iOS through the Contacts app. I had to do this recently and ended up just using the Contacts app on macOS. I think you can also delete multiple contacts through the iCloud web interface.
Yes and yes - with one caveat. You need to be using iCloud for your Contacts or have your Contacts app on the Mac using the account you have contacts in.

For example, all my contacts are in Google so the iCloud web interface wouldn't help here.

tradeapples

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2021
View attachment 1799980
I don't think it's possible through your iPhone. But if you have a computer, you can log in to iCloud.com using your Apple ID and password.. On the main page, select Contacts.
  1. Highlight the contacts you'd like to delete by holding the Control key on your Mac.
  2. Scroll down and select other contacts to delete.
  3. Click on the Settings icon at the bottom left of the screen.
  4. Select Delete.
  5. In the box, confirm your choice by choosing Delete

You can also use Group App

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Um, I've done that tradeapples but on my computer it only shows a handful of the contacts, not the hundreds that are on my phone.
I'll have a go at Group App.

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
The only "Group App" I can find is Group Contact Lite. and in that I cannot see any way to delete multiple contacts??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.