Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
After grabbing lunch at a nearby burger joint, I was on my way to pickup grocery. Walking by the Apple Store, I thought, I have time to kill and would like to see the new yellow iPhone in person. After evaluating the new color scheme which is actually nice, its a subdued yellow that's not in your face; I hopped over to the AirPods Max. Listened to a few songs then swayed over to the M2 MacBook Pro's. There a customer was seriously contemplating the purchase of a 16 inch M2 MacBook Pro mostly for the screen.

The Store employee who was helping them make a decision was very honest with her based on her workflow. For someone who likes to be mobile, is 70% of time docked at home for work; he recommended they go with the 14 inch. Its not only powerful enough for financial stuff, but if their needs to be occasionally mobile, its the best option. But they were obsessing over the screen size; the Store employee was like, this is not a mobile notebook you can easily use on the train or airplane. Which customer seriously considered. A couple of us chimed in and explained if you are not doing video editing, 3D graphics, this is gonna be overkill for your needs.

But they were so hung up on the screen size, which the store employee explained, you can compliment that by simply connecting to an external monitor at home if you are gonna be using it for Excel. In fact, it was even a great sell for the Studio Display, which I encouraged. She was still pining for the 16 inch screen and kept saying the 14 inch is so small though. I asked her, like how big are your data sets to see if there was room to justify it. But the next guy standing next to me, also said, the M2 is the same in 14 as the base 16, so you are not losing much except for the screen; you even get the same ports.

The Apple store person said, it looks nice now, but when you need to carry this around, its gonna be super inconvenient which I nodded in agreement. Ultimately, she relented and decided to go with the 14 inch.

After they left Apple Store employee gave me a little more context and explained, it was gonna be a company purchase, which is part of the reason why she was more than happy to choose the 16 inch. But he just knew that after the honeymoon period and considering her workflow which is mostly docked at home, it just didn't make practical sense.

It was so refreshing to witness the honesty and practical way they handled the situation and not trying to upsell for the sake of the balance sheet. That's principle right there.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
After grabbing lunch at a nearby burger joint, I was on my way to pickup grocery. Walking by the Apple Store, I thought, I have time to kill and would like to see the new yellow iPhone in person. After evaluating the new color scheme which is actually nice, its a subdued yellow that's not in your face; I hopped over to the AirPods Max. Listened to a few songs then swayed over to the M2 MacBook Pro's. There a customer was seriously contemplating the purchase of a 16 inch M2 MacBook Pro mostly for the screen.

The Store employee who was helping them make a decision was very honest with her based on her workflow. For someone who likes to be mobile, is 70% of time docked at home for work; he recommended they go with the 14 inch. Its not only powerful enough for financial stuff, but if their needs to be occasionally mobile, its the best option. But they were obsessing over the screen size; the Store employee was like, this is not a mobile notebook you can easily use on the train or airplane. Which customer seriously considered. A couple of us chimed in and explained if you are not doing video editing, 3D graphics, this is gonna be overkill for your needs.

But they were so hung up on the screen size, which the store employee explained, you can compliment that by simply connecting to an external monitor at home if you are gonna be using it for Excel. In fact, it was even a great sell for the Studio Display, which I encouraged. She was still pining for the 16 inch screen and kept saying the 14 inch is so small though. I asked her, like how big are your data sets to see if there was room to justify it. But the next guy standing next to me, also said, the M2 is the same in 14 as the base 16, so you are not losing much except for the screen; you even get the same ports.

The Apple store person said, it looks nice now, but when you need to carry this around, its gonna be super inconvenient which I nodded in agreement. Ultimately, she relented and decided to go with the 14 inch.

After they left Apple Store employee gave me a little more context and explained, it was gonna be a company purchase, which is part of the reason why she was more than happy to choose the 16 inch. But he just knew that after the honeymoon period and considering her workflow which is mostly docked at home, it just didn't make practical sense.

It was so refreshing to witness the honesty and practical way they handled the situation and not trying to upsell for the sake of the balance sheet. That's principle right there.

Just a quick thought. I'm an ex-retailer. Even if you were not the direct customer, store managers always appreciate hearing about good workers and good customer service. As long as you know the approximate time and part of the store you were in, even a short note sent to Apple Customer Service should result in recognition for the person who impressed you.

Reactions: Mr. Dee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.