Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chadwick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
From what I have read on this site and after reading many reviews I have decided to get the Dell 2405 instead of the ACD 23in. It seems to have the same quality and is much cheaper, right?
Also, I will be using it with a G4 400 that I will be upgrading to over 1GB of RAM (currently 384mb ram, 20gb hardrive, considering getting a Lacie external with the ram upgrade to tide me over until the upgraded powerbooks, even if I have to wait a few months. Advice on upgrading my G4 is also appreciated). Will this monitor work with my computer. I realize that to utilize its FULL resolution I will need a newer card but if I run it without the upgraded card will it work anyway? When I eventually get the powerbook will that be fully compatable or will that also need a better card than the standard?

Thank You

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
chadwick said:
From what I have read on this site and after reading many reviews I have decided to get the Dell 2405 instead of the ACD 23in. It seems to have the same quality and is much cheaper, right?
Also, I will be using it with a G4 400 that I will be upgrading to over 1GB of RAM (currently 384mb ram, 20gb hardrive, considering getting a Lacie external with the ram upgrade to tide me over until the upgraded powerbooks, even if I have to wait a few months. Advice on upgrading my G4 is also appreciated). Will this monitor work with my computer. I realize that to utilize its FULL resolution I will need a newer card but if I run it without the upgraded card will it work anyway? When I eventually get the powerbook will that be fully compatable or will that also need a better card than the standard?

Thank You

Do you still have the original video card in that G4? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it has VGA-compatible output and caps out at a resolution far lower than the 2405's native. Between the signal loss over VGA at high resolutions and the fact that your video card can't even approach the resolution of the monitor, I would just wait entirely on the purchase.

Your computer just isn't up to par for driving that many pixels, and even at a comfortable resolution (even 1680x1050 is too much, so think 1280 or 1440 at the very most), you'll have poor visual quality on the 2405. If you're planning on using the 2405 with a new PowerBook later on, just get it later unless you need a monitor right now. Even if you do, I'd get a modest panel that will actually look good with your existing computer. Are you prepared to wait until January for a new PowerBook? I don't expect anything before then, especially if new PowerMacs are released.

That said, if you want the 2405 now, go for it. If nothing else, you can force it into 1:1 mode so you have a big black border around your screen so your computer can handle it. I'd personally get a 20" and a mini unless you have a real need for that much screen space. That combination would fit the same price and be much more enjoyable in the interim.

EDIT: Looking back at your post, you could get a 2405 and a mini by spending just a little more, taking out both birds, as it were. This way you can skip the $300+ upgrading the G4 and just grab a $500 mini. $300 on a G4 400 is sort of dead end, and you can make up more than the difference just by selling the G4.

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
i have two good card the will owrk for your g4 and run the lcd well
ati 8500 64mb ddr
ati 9000 128mb ddr

pm me if interested

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Hey, is that a AGP or a PCI G4 400? >>

If you decide to get rid of her we may be able to work out a deal of some sort.

I know that my PCI G4 400 can run the resolution for that display perfectly since I have a Radeon 7000 PCI with DVI and 64 MB of VRAM. :D

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
also if you want a better powermac wit more power i have 2 for sale
both are agp
one is a 1ghz
other is a 500mhz
both have lots of extras

BTW the dell 2405 is great
the 2005fwp is also really great

Sca1pel

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
I have three...two on my g5 and one on an old dell that just crapped out... Gona sell it soon on the BST and replace it with a 30 :)

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Sca1pel said:
I have three...two on my g5 and one on an old dell that just crapped out... Gona sell it soon on the BST and replace it with a 30 :)
ide be intersted in any thing your selling PM me

chadwick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
It is an AGP 400.
Also, Dell said they would sell me the 2405 for $899 including shipping.
I really want a powerbook I just dont NEED it right now and I am willing to wait until January for the expo. I have a big project coming up though that reqires me to get Adobe CS2 and I will probably get Office for Mac as well but I need to get OSX to run them, hence I need to make the upgrades for my old G4. I can do without the screen for now if I have to, I assume the price will only go down and/or Apple will come out with a new one in January anyway. Of course now I am using a 15in CRT and I hate it.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
$899 for the Dell 2405 isn't bad, but you might do better if you call by phone and insist that you're seeing lower prices all over the web.

The collective membership and readers of MacRumors and the Mac community in general,
have bought and probably helped sell thousands of those 2405 displays from our favorable reviews.

I'd try to go for $800 shipped.

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
I have a dual 450 hooked up via VGA and it works/looks fine. Granted, I had upgraded the video card to the original Radeon Mac Edition, but it looks fine over VGA and dishes out 1920x1200. DVI does look better though.

jbuba

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2005
does that really work. just calling dell and asking for the Dell 2405 for $800 shipped? has anyone done this or have advice on what i can use as leverage. i don't think just saying i've seen it all over the web for $800 is enough. what if they ask to provide some sources?

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
It helps to start out with your school's Dell Member I.D#. or small business
or large corporate or a combnation. Then mention all the coupons going around. I ordered mine through school purchasing and had it shipped to my office.

The sales rep also first quoted me $899, but a few phone calls later she came back lower.

jbuba

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2005
is a mac mini powerful enough to use this display on? im trying to decide on either a dell 2405 w/ one of the new mini's or a 20" iMac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.