Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PixelsForBreakfast

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
Sunnyvale, CA
Hopefully out for the Mac soon......
I became impatient and did something somewhat risky, but was ultimately successful. I downloaded the Firmware Update tool for Windows and ran it on a virtual machine to extract the U3224KB_M2T106_20240322.upg file. Then I changed the Firmware Updater.cfg on the Mac Firmware Update Utility to point to the M2T106 file instead of the M2T105 file, and ran it. Everything went smoothly - I'll let you know if there are any noticeable changes.
fwupdate.png

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
I became impatient and did something somewhat risky, but was ultimately successful. I downloaded the Firmware Update tool for Windows and ran it on a virtual machine to extract the U3224KB_M2T106_20240322.upg file. Then I changed the Firmware Updater.cfg on the Mac Firmware Update Utility to point to the M2T106 file instead of the M2T105 file, and ran it. Everything went smoothly - I'll let you know if there are any noticeable changes.
View attachment 2367536
I can confirm it works. I didn't have problems with the monitor before, and after update, it continues working for me.

Reactions: chars1ub0w

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
Just to clarify, you don't really need to manually change the Updater.cfg in Dell's update tool. After started the last Firmware update tool by running `Dell_U3224KB_FWUpdate_M2T105_Mac.pkg`, you can just click the `Browse` button and choose the `U3224KB_M2T106_20240322.upg` you just obtained from the Windows firmware update tool.

For me, I just run the tool in VM Fusion which is already installed on my MBP 16" with M1 Pro. You can of course use any virtualization software. After running the tool, you can find the firmware update file under:

1712869496581.png

Just copy it over to your Mac.

whwang

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
Hi,

I wonder what's the wakeup time for your Dell 6K on an Apple Silicon Mac. My non-Apple monitors on intel Mac all have wakeup time of about 10 sec. But my iMac Pro wakes up almost immediately.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Hi,

I wonder what's the wakeup time for your Dell 6K on an Apple Silicon Mac. My non-Apple monitors on intel Mac all have wakeup time of about 10 sec. But my iMac Pro wakes up almost immediately.
Nowhere close to 10 seconds. From Stand-by Mode - it's less than 3 seconds IMO. And only slightly slower than the ASDs I have next to it. (All attached via TB4 to M1M Studio)

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
Nowhere close to 10 seconds. From Stand-by Mode - it's less than 3 seconds IMO. And only slightly slower than the ASDs I have next to it. (All attached via TB4 to M1M Studio)

My experience is the same as this, and I say 3 seconds is on the high side. I'm connected via TB4 to a M2 Pro Mini.

Frankly, I don't notice the wake-up time, and it doesn't seem to be any longer than when I open the lid on my M1 MBA. I visit my mom, and she has an older 2018 Mac Mini connected to the ancient Apple 27-inch Cinema Display via mini DisplayPort, and it doesn't seem any shorter than waking up the Dell 6K on my M2 Pro Mini.

I used to have a Dell 5K UP2715K -- connected via two DisplayPort cables -- and it would definitely take 10 seconds, if not more. I got used to as soon as I entered my office of jiggling the mouse, and then sitting down, getting situated, etc., such that by the time I was ready to work the monitor would finally turn on.

whwang

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
That's sounds great. I kind of wonder why my current monitor is slow. I use it with intel MacBookPro with lid covered through a TB3 hub and HDMI.

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
That's sounds great. I kind of wonder why my current monitor is slow. I use it with intel MacBookPro with lid covered through a TB3 hub and HDMI.
There are two different kinds of wake up time for me. If I lock the laptop and come back in less an hour, the wake up time is almost non-existent. The screen turns back on in less a second. But if the laptop is in deep sleep (after an hour), and the monitor is also in a similar state, it's much slower. I counted and it was about 8 seconds.

Depending on your Mac's configuration and power settings, the experience might be different. I have a MBP 16" with M1 Pro and always use it in clamshell mode. It connects with the monitor with a TB4 cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.