Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KBFinFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2003
Connecticut, USA
I was thinking about taking advantage of the Dell deal and getting an 18" LCD panel (the 19" isn't on sale anymore)..I would use it w/ my current PC setup until I finally make the switch over.. I'm looking for opinions on the product as I am finally getting rid of my 17" Flat Glass CRT I love so much..

I was wondering how this would work w/ the G5, would the monitor be wise to run under OSX? I understand it will work and such with the correct converter, I just wonder if I am missing out on not having an Apple Studio Display (minus the extra $$ and presentation of one)..

Also, I was thinking long term and possibly linking it to a powerbook/iBook model in the future, is this also possible w/ the correct converter? I know DVI is not an option on the 12" PB, but what about an analog signal?

Thanks for helping a wannabe switcher with very novice questions

-Kyle

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
This link should answer most of your questions:
http://www.apple.com/powermac/graphics.html

If you are going to get Mac anyway, why not go ahead and get the Apple 17" now? With ADC to DVI connector you can use it on your PC. My biased opinion is that a Dell display won't even come close to the quality of an Apple display. I don't know the cost of the Dell, but the Apple 17" can be bought for $599 through the Apple Education Store. They even have some kind of bundle where you can up to $300 off the education discount.

Funkatation

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2001
the dell ultrasharps are better than the apple displays... higher contrast ratio, higher brightness, lower response time. just check the tech specs of each display ;)

anything but ultrasharp from dell sucks though.

KBFinFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2003
Connecticut, USA
Ya, I was thinking about the UltraSharp w/o a doubt. I've read some pretty positive reviews about them, and Cnet users seem to give them a 100% approval rating which is rare for Cnet.

That said thanks for the comments so far.

Oh, and the 18" LCD is about $450 shipped which is far less than a smaller monitor from Apple.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
I don't even see that on Dell's site... weird...

Anyway... I have heard mixed review about those converters...

Some said they didn't work and the other half have had mixed results...

Funkatation

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2001
you don't need an adapter... all new PowerMacs have DVI connectors on them. plug straight in from display. if you want 2 of them, you would have to buy a adc to dvi adapter (bout 39 bucks) which will also work just fine, its no conversion of signal. just dont need power and usb from adc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.